2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

I think the main issue with Webber and Reggie is that they never shut the fuck up and start spouting straight inanity. When you have both of them there it splits their air time in half so they have to be more selective with what they say.
Yeah. And they're both kinda smarmy. Webber in the dumb jock who thinks very inane obvious statements are profound wisdom and Reggie in the.. whatever Reggie is way. Y'all all know what I mean.

5 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
7 minutes ago, ztejas said:
I think the main issue with Webber and Reggie is that they never shut the fuck up and start spouting straight inanity. When you have both of them there it splits their air time in half so they have to be more selective with what they say.

Yeah. And they're both kinda smarmy. Webber in the dumb jock who thinks very inane obvious statements are profound wisdom and Reggie in the.. whatever Reggie is way. Y'all all know what I mean.

I was flipping through radio channels the other morning and caught Reggie on the Dan Patrick show. He was listing all the players from his day that would "easily" average 40 in today's NBA.

Hint: It was errybody, including him of course.

Edited by aggie08

Three consecutive phantom fouls + a bogus technical =/= "defensive intensity"
They are on pace for almost 20 turnovers. If you aren't seeing the effectiveness of the Lakers crashing and doubling ball handlers in the paint so far, I can't help you. They of course are getting LAL and LeBron refereeing, but they are playing excellent, swarming defense as well.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm confused. Are we talking about the same Nuggets team that was down 3-1 in both their previous series including being down by double digits in both game 6 and 7 of last series?
Let's see how this one plays out, Jim.
True that. I don't recall them ever looking overwhelmed and confused like this though. Tf is Murray doing?

The Lakers will likely win the series...but I can’t help not only rooting for the Nuggets but also thinking they can pull it off. After watching them with the Clippers and the Jazz coming back time and again...it was impressive. It would be cool to see that type of series here. But I know what the Lakers can do. 

Hoping for an exciting series regardless. 

Lol. LeBron shoulders his defender into the ground, and not only is it a blocking foul, but he gets a completely bullshit continuation.

32 free throws for the Lakers in the half. Denver mired in foul trouble. Refs are ensuring the result they want.

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Lol. LeBron shoulders his defender into the ground, and not only is it a blocking foul, but he gets a completely bullshit continuation.

32 free throws for the Lakers in the half. Denver mired in foul trouble. Refs are ensuring the result they want.

The ref conspiracy theory is tired.  Superstars always get the benefit.  It’s not some grand plan to ensure the Lakers in the finals.

Edited by Sbbruin

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Lakers taking control.  Nuggets falling apart.

The size advantage is the biggest issue for Denver. Jokic can have his way with the hot garbage deluxe from the JV last round. Now he has to produce against this monstrosity of size and I don’t think he can do that as consistently in this series. 

Edited by UpperWestside

18 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

So do you think the league offIce meets with the refs and tells them to call it more favorably for the Lakers?

Sure. Why not? They're already bleeding money this season. Both LeBron and the Lakers have a history of favorable officiating. The league definitely doesn't have their hands in every game but from time to time I do think they have swayed games or series. 

36 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

So do you think the league offIce meets with the refs and tells them to call it more favorably for the Lakers?  No, not as a Laker fan.  Just as someone who doesn’t believe the tinfoil hat theories.

It doesn’t take much to tilt a game.  If you wanted the Spurs to lose a playoff game when Duncan was there, you assigned the ref that hated him.  If you wanted the Mavs to lose a playoff game, you assigned the ref that hated Cuban.  I forget the names, but others will chime in. 

The size of the Lakers was a huge issue tonight for Denver. Not sure what they do to adjust.
Yep. And their length was clearly messing with the Nuggets. They kept throwing passes that you can get away with when Zubac is the longest guy on defense, not AD/Bron/Kuzms/McGee.
It's just one game, but the Nuggets look overwhelmed. I know they are the comeback kids but I don't recall them looking completely out of their depth against LAC or Utah.
  • Like 1

Good grief on the ref/conspiracy shit.

Jokic was able to dominate in the last rounds cause he was either bigger or better skilled than all of his matchups.   Against Dwight/Javale and AD he has guys that close to the same size/strength but quicker and far better defenders than anyone he's faced.  They dont require help nearly as much so Jokic wont find as many open teammates.  He also let Dwight frustrate him and bait him into stupid fouls.   He will have better games but will have trouble dominating like he did before.    The Lakers played great defense on him and on Murray.   The others on the team will need to be able to get points on their own.    Outside of MPJ I dont really think they have anyone who can do that consistently.   It could be a quick series if they dont.

I don't believe in NBA conspiracy theories but I do believe in incompetence. Before the game we were talking about how terrible Tony Brothers and Scott Foster are. And lo and behold, we got a terribly officiated game. The beginning of the second quarter started out poorly and then those two fouls on Jokic completely turned momentum in the game. I'm always amazed whenever I see Brothers working a playoff game. I just don't understand how the league can do that to itself and to its product. 

That said, it isn't the reason Denver lost, but it sure as shit didn't help. Denver isn't winning shit if they can't grab a defensive rebound and if they keep turning the ball over. The overall numbers don't look as bad because they out rebounded the Lakers in the fourth, but they got absolutely murdered on the offensive glass. When you're trying to come back, there's nothing more deflating than playing good defense for 20 seconds, getting a stop, and then giving up the rebound.

Those are things that get can get cleaned up. They lost by 20+ in game one against the Clippers. Maybe they have the Lakers just where they want them? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, d2o said:

Good grief on the ref/conspiracy shit.

Jokic was able to dominate in the last rounds cause he was either bigger or better skilled than all of his matchups.   Against Dwight/Javale and AD he has guys that close to the same size/strength but quicker and far better defenders than anyone he's faced.  They dont require help nearly as much so Jokic wont find as many open teammates.  He also let Dwight frustrate him and bait him into stupid fouls.   He will have better games but will have trouble dominating like he did before.    The Lakers played great defense on him and on Murray.   The others on the team will need to be able to get points on their own.    Outside of MPJ I dont really think they have anyone who can do that consistently.   It could be a quick series if they dont.

He figured out Gobert in round 1. He's as difficult a match up as any of those guys but clearly the Lakers have more big bodies to throw at him. . My money is still on Jokic having a big impact in this series. He needs some help on the glass though. That was the biggest problem last night. 

18 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

He figured out Gobert in round 1. He's as difficult a match up as any of those guys but clearly the Lakers have more big bodies to throw at him. . My money is still on Jokic having a big impact in this series. He needs some help on the glass though. That was the biggest problem last night. 

They started putting Gobert in PnR situations, forcing the switch and letting Murray kill him.     That isn't as easy to do with AD who an at least slow Murray.   I'm sure they will adjust and at least compete but its a taller order against the Laker bigs.

4 minutes ago, d2o said:

They started putting Gobert in PnR situations, forcing the switch and letting Murray kill him.     That isn't as easy to do with AD who an at least slow Murray.   I'm sure they will adjust and at least compete but its a taller order against the Laker bigs.

We will see. It isn't like they completely stoned him last night. He scored 11 first quarter points but then got taken out with foul trouble. Then the wheels came off in the third. 

Jokic was frustrated by how physical Howard (and even to a lesser extent Davis) were. Every inbounds dead ball they were grabbing and leaning on him. They got in his head a little bit and the refs let them play on. I hate physical basketball because physical is the word people use to mean getting away with fouling. Denver needs to go at Howard and Davis early and often trying to get them into foul trouble. Find somebody that can bait Dwight Howard's ten cent head into making poor decisions. I don't really hate the Lakers on principle, but Rondo and Kuzma are two of the more punchable guys in the association and Howard has always been a dickhead.

Jokic was frustrated by how physical Howard (and even to a lesser extent Davis) were. Every inbounds dead ball they were grabbing and leaning on him. They got in his head a little bit and the refs let them play on. I hate physical basketball because physical is the word people use to mean getting away with fouling. Denver needs to go at Howard and Davis early and often trying to get them into foul trouble. Find somebody that can bait Dwight Howard's ten cent head into making poor decisions. I don't really hate the Lakers on principle, but Rondo and Kuzma are two of the more punchable guys in the association and Howard has always been a dickhead.
Physical basketball is fantastic if both teams are allowed to be physical.

13 hours ago, kopp0e said:

NBA players need to keep the ol' trap shut about any negativity about China, it would seem:

Nah, people in general just need to quit "sharing" everything online.    Damn near every issue these guys have is cause either they or someone in their circle felt the need to film shit and put it online.  Dumbfucks.

15 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Rockets. Heat. Okc/Seattle combined. The finals appearances is pretty high. They’d be in the neighborhood otherwise. 

I just did the rockets. 158 in total wins stacks up pretty favorably, and 3 titles to two isn’t much different. But man- the 9 finals thing for LeBron is pretty impressive (rockets have 4) as is the 13 conference finals (rockets have 8 I think). So no they aren’t all they aren’t all that comparable. 
heat have him tied at 3 titles but they are way behind in wins and nba finals trips and conference finals trips so they aren’t really comparable either. 
I did think of one I’m pretty sure stacks up I’m those counting stats totals and that’s the 76ers. 

• Hook 'Em 1