2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

20 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Almost fell over when I tuned in late and they said brow grabbed his 3rd rebound. Now if Denver can do that 3 more times..

Same for me when they showed the graphic in the 3Q that he didnt have a single rebound yet.  Inexcusable

1. Maybe when you're up by 15 or 20 in the fourth quarter of game 3 in the WCF isn't the best time to be taking contested three pointers with 20 seconds on the shot clock? It's one thing to continue being aggressive, it's another being stupid. Denver really got away with some shit last night.

2. Murray was abusing Caruso but Danny Green's shooting has been so spotty and he's such a one trick pony on offense, it's difficult to keep him on the floor. He's 5/17 from three and nearly every one of them has been wide open. He's probably due for one of those games where he knocks down a bunch of them in a row, but it's nice to see him fucking up someone else's program for once. But it's a predicament for the Lakers. Caruso gives them a spark but the downside is letting Murray get loose. They miss Avery Bradley. The big question about the Lakers has always been the supporting cast. Still is.

3. Dwight Howard is still one of the most hateable NBA players of all time. Such a tool, even accepting his role, he's such a fucking tool.

4. Lebron was terrible last night. You hardly knew he was even on the floor. Checks box score --- 30-10-11 on 14/23 shooting. What? 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

The Lakers had won 6 straight before last night.  They aren't one of the all-time teams that is just going to roll through the playoffs.  This loss was coming.  A loss Thursday and it gets interesting.

Imagine if Davis hadn't hit his prayer of a shot and Denver went on to win that game. You're talking a much different narrative than "the Lakers were always going to drop a game". 

Game 4 will tell the story. I don't think Denver will come back from 3-1 again. But a Denver win in game 4 and (stating the obvious, I know) I think this series is a coin flip and I'd start to worry about the Lakers fuel tank. They were gassed at the end of that game last night and Denver was not at all.

Edited by BradInATX

7 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Imagine if Davis hadn't hit his prayer of a shot and Denver went on to win that game. You're talking a much different narrative than "the Lakers were always going to drop a game". 

Game 4 will tell the story. I don't think Denver will come back from 3-1 again. But a Denver win in game 4 and (stating the obvious, I know) I think this series is a coin flip and I'd start to worry about the Lakers fuel tank. They were gassed at the end of that game last night and Denver was not at all.

Yes, they were gassed.  But both teams were.  It was obvious.

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

1. Maybe when you're up by 15 or 20 in the fourth quarter of game 3 in the WCF isn't the best time to be taking contested three pointers with 20 seconds on the shot clock? It's one thing to continue being aggressive, it's another being stupid. Denver really got away with some shit last night.

2. Murray was abusing Caruso but Danny Green's shooting has been so spotty and he's such a one trick pony on offense, it's difficult to keep him on the floor. He's 5/17 from three and nearly every one of them has been wide open. He's probably due for one of those games where he knocks down a bunch of them in a row, but it's nice to see him fucking up someone else's program for once. But it's a predicament for the Lakers. Caruso gives them a spark but the downside is letting Murray get loose. They miss Avery Bradley. The big question about the Lakers has always been the supporting cast. Still is.

3. Dwight Howard is still one of the most hateable NBA players of all time. Such a tool, even accepting his role, he's such a fucking tool.

4. Lebron was terrible last night. You hardly knew he was even on the floor. Checks box score --- 30-10-11 on 14/23 shooting. What? 

Yeah, he was really bad.   Amazing that he put up those numbers relatively efficiently.  He had quite a few TOs though

4 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Yes, they were gassed.  But both teams were.  It was obvious.

Denver was not as gassed as LAL. Same thing happened to the LAC.

Denver has depth and youth. They can play the boards and D all game long. That's how they won the Jazz/LAC series. 

Still a lot of basketball to play in this series. LAL needs to find another gear (i.e., someone other than LBJ and AD needs to step up his game). Denver needs to keep up the pressure and energy - and run the old guys into the ground.

• Like 1

Good game.

Meanwhile in laker-land - the audacity of bullshit:

The Lakers have presented a case to the NBA that their star, LeBron James, is not nearly getting his fair share of free throws even though they are positive the hard-charging forward is getting fouled plenty by the Denver Nuggets in their Western Conference finals playoff series.

James shot just two free throws during the Game 3 defeat to the Nuggets on Tuesday night at AdventHealth Arena. And those two free throws came after Denver guard Jamal Murray was called for a flagrant foul for an elbow to James’ jaw.

He has shot 10 free throws total in the three games of the best-of-seven series that resumes Thursday night with Game 4 and the Lakers leading 2-1.

“We’re dealing with the fouls through the proper channels with the league,” coach Frank Vogel told the media via videoconference Wednesday after practice. 

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/story/2020-09-23/lakers-nuggets-game-four

EABOD Lakers.

• Hook 'Em 3

Good game.
Meanwhile in laker-land - the audacity of bullshit:

The Lakers have presented a case to the NBA that their star, LeBron James, is not nearly getting his fair share of free throws even though they are positive the hard-charging forward is getting fouled plenty by the Denver Nuggets in their Western Conference finals playoff series.
James shot just two free throws during the Game 3 defeat to the Nuggets on Tuesday night at AdventHealth Arena. And those two free throws came after Denver guard Jamal Murray was called for a flagrant foul for an elbow to James’ jaw.
He has shot 10 free throws total in the three games of the best-of-seven series that resumes Thursday night with Game 4 and the Lakers leading 2-1.
“We’re dealing with the fouls through the proper channels with the league,” coach Frank Vogel told the media via videoconference Wednesday after practice. 

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/story/2020-09-23/lakers-nuggets-game-four
EABOD Lakers.

Awesome. I’m sure lebron dominates the amount of playoff minutes played the last 15 years out of everybody and hasn’t fouled out once.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Also Bam with a quiet 20 and 10

This is such a fun, selfless team. It seems like Dragic and Butler have been invisible tonight and they've got 19 and 17. It really seems like they don't care who the star is on any given night as long as they win. Both Jimmy and Dragic seem to understand that it's the other guys' night and are feeding them with no ego involved.

Edited by BradInATX

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I forgot about Love, that's a good call. I'd probably put him above Williams.

But yeah, Herro has a good shot if he continues to develop.. it's a pretty low bar to clear.

While entertaining, I don't think White Chocolate was a very good player. He was basically replacement level most of his career.

JJ Redick is another one that has an argument. He's had a very good career. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

This is such a fun, selfless team. It seems like Dragic and Butler have been invisible tonight and they've got 19 and 17. It really seems like they don't care who the star is on any given night as long as they win. Both Jimmy and Dragic seem to understand that it's the other guys' night and are feeding them with no ego involved.

They should be favored in the Finals against either team imo. Not that Vegas would give them minus odds against the Lakers.

17 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Truth. I didn't really discover this team until the Milwaukee series. They're such a fun team to watch. 

Man, the Heat almost got absolutely shafted. How does an offensive foul followed by the offensive player knocking the ball out of bounds result in a jump ball? Then the Butler 3-point foul on Kemba was horrible. It wasn't even a foul to begin with, and Kemba was not in the act. Then to top it off they interrupted Butler basically mid-shot on his free throws. Fortunately he still made both, but damn. Terrible.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Brook Lopez, Kyle Korver, Keith Van Horn, Kirk Hinrich, Mike Miller, David Lee, Birdman, Kelly Olynyk all deserve mention in the white guy conversation.

Pretty crappy lost.

Good call on Lopez. Even though he's questionably white. And Mike Miller and David Lee.

It would go KLove, Lopez, Hayward, David Lee, Redick, Miller in my book. None of the other guys were ever really above replacement level. Which is pretty sad. Maybe Korver but he's never been more than a role player.

I think Herro will end up being better than everyone outside of that top 3, easily. It wouldn't take a whole lot to unseat Hayward and Lopez. KLove has had a pretty great career but should have been better. 

Now, if we start including white mommas then the list gets interesting. Blake Griffin and Klay Thompson to the courtesy phone. 

2 minutes ago, d2o said:

Both Steph's parents are black.

Steph Curry's Parents May Have to Choose Between Game 7's | Heavy.com

Isn't his mom half white half black?

Either way, mixed-race shouldn't count here. If it does, then the entire list is going to be guys who are half-white. Klay, Blake, and the obvious answer to the question if we don't count Curry, Jason Kidd, would be your obvious top 3. All better than Kevin Love.

Edited by BradInATX

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Isn't his mom half white half black?

Either way, mixed-race shouldn't count here. If it does, then the entire list is going to be guys who are half-white. Klay, Blake, and the obvious answer to the question if we don't count Curry, Jason Kidd, would be your obvious top 3. All better than Kevin Love.

I dont believe so.  She's never claimed to be anything but black.   I'm sure down the line there was prolly a slavemaster creeping in her family line.   She has an interesting story actually.

https://theundefeated.com/features/sonya-curry-stephen-curry-mother-turns-experiences-with-racism-into-lessons-for-her-children/

• Hook 'Em 1