2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Millsap literally turned around with his foot firmly on the ground, AD flops and the refs are right there at his beck and call 🙄 What a shocker

And now LeBron got a foul because Murray fell near him. Oh my god, the fix is in both ways you guys!

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

the refs are making terrible calls both ways, but the Nuggets are handling it like professionals while the LeBrons are aghast and incredulous at every single call. shit is so tiresome. 

What game are you watching? Reactions on both sides.

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Didn't Paul Millsap used to be good at defense or some shit to warrant his massive contracts?

allowing AD to get that rebound totally uncontested was pathetic, especially when considering that Malone hasn't stopped talking about boxing out and holding LA to one shot. 

2 hours ago, BradInATX said:

The officiating in this game has been so one-sided it's not even funny. NBA terrified of a Denver/Miami finals. Refs blowing instant whistles when AD or LBJ goes up with the ball. And when they don't, they make sure to blow it 3 seconds after the ball rims out. Awful.

yeah its been bad. murray was getting bodied hard on almost every drive. he should have had 2 or 3 and 1s in the second half. 

saying that - kudos to the lakers. they are a well built team. good leadership and good complimentary players. the nuggets seem to shoot lights out and loose

6 hours ago, UTDD said:

If Michael Porter Jr. can project out to what I think is possible, Denver has a really good thing going here for the future.  Three really good pieces, and I think they really fit well together too long-term.

MPJ strikes me as kind of thick-headed and not very tough/driven. For a dude with his measurables and quickness to have never put effort into defense is a bit concerning for me. I mean, zero effort. He is a terrible defender. Every time there's been a defensive breakdown against the Lakers and I've thought "what the hell happened", it was MPJ not handling a screen properly, rotating incorrectly, or inexplicably just letting his guy by. 

He strikes me as a guy with a ceiling of Kyle Korver. 3 and D guy, without the D. He also seems like the type that could turn into a diva/distraction with any inkling of stardom.

I realize I'm setting myself up to get quoted on this in a year or two and potential look stupid, but I just don't think he's got the fire to turn himself into much more than a decent starter. 

Edited by BradInATX

4 minutes ago, d2o said:

Kyrie Irving says pump ya brakes.     He's amazing tho

I've always said that Kyrie is a little overrated in that regard. He may be the most aesthetically pleasing in that department, but he doesn't actually convert at an elite rate. He's got a lot of a Kobe's "let's try for the highest degree of difficulty possible, whether it's warranted or not" in him.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Highest to lowest: Steph, Jamal, Kyrie

Correct.

Steph is the best "under the rim" finisher in that group of 3, even just looking purely at performance and not difficulty given his size. Doing it at his size is even more incredible.

Edited by BradInATX

Wanted to dig into that more. Steph averages about 67%-ish since 2014 at the rim. 

Pulled some stats for last year for 0-5 feet (all I could find in a list format). This is only for last year, not career, so YMMV, but interesting.

Ben Simmons 65.7%
Devin Booker 68.5%
Demar DeRozan 68.2% (this makes me hate him slightly less)

Luka Doncic 69% 😮

You could definitely convince me that Luka is the best "under the rim" finisher in the league based on this and the eyeball test. Dude is sick. 

Jayson Tatum 55.4% - he needs to improve this if he wants to be a true elite player. His playoff percentage is 56% this year too. It almost seems like you'd have to try to be that bad with his athleticism and body. That's crazy.

Edited by BradInATX

9 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

He's so terrible. I'm confident at this point in saying that he is the worst starter getting significant minutes left in the playoffs. 

That offensive rebound the Nuggets gave up with 1 minute left down 5 made me want to hurt puppies. 4 Nuggets under the rim, not a single Laker on a LeBron mid-range brick. Millsap is standing straight up, no effort or situational awareness whatsoever. KCP slips right in an grabs it before Millsap even knew he was there.

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

That offensive rebound the Nuggets gave up with 1 minute left down 5 made me want to hurt puppies. 4 Nuggets under the rim, not a single Laker on a LeBron mid-range brick. Millsap is standing straight up, no effort or situational awareness whatsoever. KCP slips right in an grabs it before Millsap even knew he was there.

Yeah that was awful, and it was right when the announcers were calling him a savvy vet because he had just knocked down a wide open 3. 

5 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Yeah that was awful, and it was right when the announcers were calling him a savvy vet because he had just knocked down a wide open 3. 

I guess it shows how little Nuggets' basketball I've seen this season. Going into this series, when people were asking who was going to guard AD, I thought, "That's easy. Their $30M defensively-minded veteran power forward will do an admirable job. Duh." Whoopsie.

10 hours ago, BradInATX said:

The officiating in this game has been so one-sided it's not even funny. NBA terrified of a Denver/Miami finals. Refs blowing instant whistles when AD or LBJ goes up with the ball. And when they don't, they make sure to blow it 3 seconds after the ball rims out. Awful.

IMO would be a highly entertaining series and sort of cheering for it to happen. 

41 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

MPJ strikes me as kind of thick-headed and not very tough/driven. For a dude with his measurables and quickness to have never put effort into defense is a bit concerning for me. I mean, zero effort. He is a terrible defender. Every time there's been a defensive breakdown against the Lakers and I've thought "what the hell happened", it was MPJ not handling a screen properly, rotating incorrectly, or inexplicably just letting his guy by. 

He strikes me as a guy with a ceiling of Kyle Korver. 3 and D guy, without the D. He also seems like the type that could turn into a diva/distraction with any inkling of stardom.

I realize I'm setting myself up to get quoted on this in a year or two and potential look stupid, but I just don't think he's got the fire to turn himself into much more than a decent starter. 

I completely agree on the observation of his defense this series especially, but you're totally off on the Korver comp. MPJ could be Lou Williams on his current trajectory or Jaylen Brown if he starts playing defense.

1 minute ago, Llogg said:

I completely agree on the observation of his defense this series especially, but you're totally off on the Korver comp. MPJ could be Lou Williams on his current trajectory or Jaylen Brown if he starts playing defense.

I don't think you realize we're actually agreeing. He has the raw talent to be those guys or even better. I just don't think he ever will, particularly on the defensive side of the ball.

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

I'm certainly not one to say this prediction is a bad one because frankly he's got some red flags and he could flame out badly.  His injury history, his complete (and this is accurate to say) lack of defense is very concerning.  I am a little more confident he doesn't have a Wiggins motor (i.e. none) but he's not exactly shown enough to me mentally yet either.  I also think him being in Denver is a red flag in itself.

But I think his talent is immense.  I can watch him play in small spurts and see right away why he was ranked right up there with Ayton as the #1 high school recruit in America the year he came out.  I am quite sure he would have been drafted higher if not for his health.  And offensively, in a reasonable sample size now given both being his first healthy year and his back issue before, he's shot 51/42/83.  I think anyone would take that for someone with his situation.  I can't agree though with Kyle Korver as a reasonable comp.  MPJ is shooting 72% within three feet of the basket, and can attack the basket very well, especially for his current experience level.  He may end up worse than Korver for all I know, but Korver doesn't really have that dimension to his game at all.  He's also shooting 46% from the midrange to three point line, which is very good.  His massive weakness offensively is inefficiency from 3-16 feet, where he is only shooting 31%. His BPM is 1.5 and his VORP is 0.8, nothing earth shattering, but as a Nuggets GM I'm ok with that so far considering his current weaknesses.   And yes, defensively, he's so far away.  I don't have a great comp off the top of my head, maybe someone like a Joe Johnson type perhaps.  We shall see.     

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, UTDD said:

I'm certainly not one to say this prediction is a bad one because frankly he's got some red flags and he could flame out badly.  His injury history, his complete (and this is accurate to say) lack of defense is very concerning.  I am a little more confident he doesn't have a Wiggins motor (i.e. none) but he's not exactly shown enough to me mentally yet either.  I also think him being in Denver is a red flag in itself.

But I think his talent is immense.  I can watch him play in small spurts and see right away why he was ranked right up there with Ayton as the #1 high school recruit in America the year he came out.  I am quite sure he would have been drafted higher if not for his health.  And offensively, in a reasonable sample size now given both being his first healthy year and his back issue before, he's shot 51/42/83.  I think anyone would take that for someone with his situation.  I can't agree though with Kyle Korver as a reasonable comp.  MPJ is shooting 72% within three feet of the basket, and can attack the basket very well, especially for his current experience level.  He may end up worse than Korver for all I know, but Korver doesn't really have that dimension to his game at all.  He's also shooting 46% from the midrange to three point line, which is very good.  His massive weakness offensively is inefficiency from 3-16 feet, where he is only shooting 31%. His BPM is 1.5 and his VORP is 0.8, nothing earth shattering, but as a Nuggets GM I'm ok with that so far considering his current weaknesses.   And yes, defensively, he's so far away.  I don't have a great comp off the top of my head, maybe someone like a Joe Johnson type perhaps.  We shall see.     

Good info. I didn't realize he was that strong at the rim.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

So looking like a Heat/Lakers finals.

Loser: America

What is wrong with the Heat? They are a fun and likable team. I hope Butler wins it all. This isn't the Lebron/Wade Heat teams most people hated. Everyone aside from Laker/Lebron fans will be rooting for the Heat. I'd rather see the Heat there than fucking Boston. That city has won enough lol

Edited by Vic Mackey
  • Like 2