2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

I think Korver is a terrible comp for Porter. Porter has about 4 inches on him and is about 10x as explosive. He's a decent rebounder and can actually be a weak side defender at the rim. Korver is a three and d guy who can't play d. Porter is way, way more than that. 

I don't get the criticism of him defensively, either. He didn't back down at all checking Lebron in the fourth last night, even when Lebron was hunting him. I actually thought it took the Lakers out of their offense because they were so focused on isolating him at the top of the key, that they stopped moving the ball.

My problem with Porter is shot selection. He's the captain of the "Oh no, don't shoot.... hey, it went in, good shot!" team. But you can see the talent oozing out of him. His jumper is so pure, especially for a guy that big. There aren't a lot of guys who can match up with him on the perimeter. He also kinda seems like a dick. Maybe it's just confidence, but he comes off as a bit aloof or an asshole. But as a 21 year old rookie playing his first consistent minutes in the playoffs? He's fucking killing it. Such a great pick by the Nuggets to roll the dice on his back injury and then have the patience to let him heal and develop. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, staboner said:

^ forgot about that.

man smart is such a little bitch with his flopping

All the flopping that these guys do now is fucking ridiculous.   The fines should multiplied 20 fold.   Not only is it annoying but is part of the reason the refs keep stopping to review shit.   Guys acting like they got shot every they are close to another player has refs thinking they are actually getting hit.   Then again they missed the actual hostile act by Iggy even in a review.    He should have been tossed for that.

• Hook 'Em 1

According to spotrac, the only person to be fined for flopping this season was Patrick Beverly. In November.*

So safe to say that the NBA has basically decided to stop doing what was already the absolute bare minimum to discourage flopping.

*and that was the first one they've given out in years.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

According to spotrac, the only person to be fined for flopping this season was Patrick Beverly. In November.*

So safe to say that the NBA has basically decided to stop doing what was already the absolute bare minimum to discourage flopping.

*and that was the first one they've given out in years.

That was’t actually a fine, it was a lifetime achievement award.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

I don’t have a good read on what to expect tonight because the bubble negates things like home court and the adrenaline boost you get from the crowd. I think the Lakers close it out though and that they win by double digits. If Denver were playing anyone else in the West Finals I would want to see them win. Jokic and Murray are fun when they’re rollin’. Hopefully they keep their core together for a few years and see if it can get them a title.

9 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Only checking the play-by-play on my phone. They just called LeBron for a double dribble? Did hell freeze over?

he was shooting a fade away with porter in his face and sort of dropped his shot and then picked it up again. it was the correct call, but it was a freak play, not a straight up double dribble. 

32nd trip to the NBA finals..  all is right in the world.  I know everyone hates the Lakers.  But it is really fun being a fan of them.  Because we kick all sorts of ass.
Seems like light years ago that LA lost the first game to Portland and so many thought Dame magic was going to sweep them or win in 5. Hell I heard some of the same chatter when Houston took game 1. LA completely dominated the West these playoffs. None of these series were close.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Seems like light years ago that LA lost the first game to Portland and so many thought Dame magic was going to sweep them or win in 5. Hell I heard some of the same chatter when Houston took game 1. LA completely dominated the West these playoffs. None of these series were close.

Sorry for having hope and dreams
  • Haha 1

Man, I love the NBA but the predictability gets really annoying sometimes. Kudos to LeBron and AD but I'll likely not watch much of the Finals except for the highlights the next day maybe. Its crazy to me how excited and into every game I was during the Jordan 90s and now I don't even care about watching the Finals. And I actually think LeBron is a better all around player than Jordan. Probably because I hate the Lakers I would guess.

5 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

Man, I love the NBA but the predictability gets really annoying sometimes. Kudos to LeBron and AD but I'll likely not watch much of the Finals except for the highlights the next day maybe. Its crazy to me how excited and into every game I was during the Jordan 90s and now I don't even care about watching the Finals. And I actually think LeBron is a better all around player than Jordan. Probably because I hate the Lakers I would guess.

The hate the Lakers get is natural.  It would be weird actually for a team to have the success we’ve had and people NOT hate them.  But they are probably the preeminent franchise is all of professional sports.  When you consider the championships, the players who have played on the team, and the notoriety, very few franchises can compare, if any.

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

The hate the Lakers get is natural.  It would be weird actually for a team to have the success we’ve had and people NOT hate them.  But they are probably the preeminent franchise is all of professional sports.  When you consider the championships, the players who have played on the team, and the notoriety, very few franchises can compare, if any.

No doubt about that. And I actually don't think I hate them anymore like before. I'm kind of indifferent about most NBA teams these days. I just know who's going to win the finals and just can't get myself to care I guess.

I forgot the Lakers and Nuggets even played last night. None of this interests me anymore. Durant and Steph being out is a huge fucking blow to the NBA.

14 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Jokic already in foul trouble on a very iffy and late whistle, given by a ref who was out of position. check the track record- i'm not one in here who whines about the refs or conspiracies- but god damn it this is the playoffs. we can't have star players sitting five minutes into the game on bad calls. 

Yeah, so what? I mean how mad are you really about this? The NBA is drowning right now. They aren't going to let Denver make the Finals. You would have seen some fuckier shit in game 6 or 7 had it gone to that. 

Oh and in before someone calls me a conspiracy theorist. This isn't some conspiracy. It's common sense.

Edited by ztejas

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I forgot the Lakers and Nuggets even played last night. None of this interests me anymore. Durant and Steph being out is a huge fucking blow to the NBA.

Yeah, so what? I mean how mad are you really about this? The NBA is drowning right now. They aren't going to let Denver make the Finals. You would have seen some fuckier shit in game 6 or 7 had it gone to that. 

Oh and in before someone calls me a conspiracy theorist. This isn't some conspiracy. It's common sense.

I assure you more people care about the Lakers than the Mavericks.  And the tinfoil hat shit is tired.  The Lakers were way better than the Nuggets.  That’s why they won.  Stop with that conspiracy bullshit.

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yes.  LBJ and AD are light years better than a very good Jokic and Murray.  Denver will be good for a long time.  But those who think LeBron is done are mistaken.  I think he is better than Giannis.  So yes, I am saying he is the best player in the NBA.  And I think a lot of people would agree.  Which is amazing at 37.  And as someone who LOVED Kobe, LBJ is better.   Certainly at this point in his career.

Edited by Sbbruin

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

Yes.  LBJ and AD are light years better than a very good Jokic and Murray.  Denver will be good for a long time.  But those who think LeBron is done are mistaken.  I think he is better than Giannis.  So yes, I am saying he is the best player in the NBA.  And I think a lot of people would agree.  Which is amazing at 37.

How is this even a debate. The Lakers have two of the five best guys in the league. The Nuggets have one guy in the top ten. It’s no comparison.

• Hook 'Em 1