2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

2 hours ago, BradInATX said:

This is a freaking great read about this series. Long, but well worth it. Just lots of great points, things none of us thought about, and matchup/strategy talk.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/zachlowe29992736/predicting-wins-lakers-heat-why

Taken from that article:

The Lakers are the league's fiercest rim-attacking team. Almost 40% of their attempts came at the rim in the regular season, second most, and they converted a league-best 69% there.

Almost half LeBron's postseason shots have come at the basket. He has rammed in 76% of them.

Edited by d2o

15 minutes ago, d2o said:

Taken from that article:

The Lakers are the league's fiercest rim-attacking team. Almost 40% of their attempts came at the rim in the regular season, second most, and they converted a league-best 69% there.

Almost half LeBron's postseason shots have come at the basket. He has rammed in 76% of them.

Yeah, that's just insane. Bam has to somehow stay out of foul trouble, they can't win with him on the bench. They really just need to let LeBron dunk the ball if he gets under the rim. Don't even contest.

Did you see Adebayo's on/off numbers? Also insane. I think one could make a reasonable argument that Bam is their best player and I don't know that Buckets would argue with you too hard.

Edited by BradInATX

3 hours ago, d2o said:

Taken from that article:

Lakers in 6

That's what I got out of it.  I never thought in my wildest dreams I would be bouncing between Lakers and Dodgers playoff games.

Heat look confident and hitting shots 

They're moving the ball better than I've seen all playoffs and that's saying something. Not sure if it's something about LA's defense or a more concerted effort by them. They look great. But the Lakers are playing really sloppy and will get on track at some point soon.

Butler is definitely trying to make Bron work on both ends. Been watching that matchup closely. Being a pest on defense and slashing and moving off ball on offense.

Heat will have to stop doubling hard every time AD gets the ball. Lakers wings have been moving great in that situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I imagine they'll continue to gamble that they won't stay hot. They need to guard KCP but they'll probably have to live with Green and Rondo getting looks.

Woof. Heat are really struggling with the size. They have to stop turning the ball over, and they have to attack and get to the line if they're gonna have any chance.
And the Lakers shooters need to come back to Earth.
Oh shit. That could be the series if Butler is seriously hurt.

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

3 or 4 more games to debate who should be the Finals' MVP, LeBron or AD. Cool cool cool cool cool

And they avoided Luka, Kawhi, Giannis, Curry and KD. 

Not taking away from their championship but it's been kind of a snoozefest run for them. Portland bent over easily and seemed to be out of gas, the Rockets' 2nd best player is a past his prime Westbrook that they would have been better without. The Nuggets are a little young and got into some bad situations with foul trouble. 

Obviously this series isn't over - the Heat are still dangerous. But their best player is a top 12 guy on most nights and they have zero Finals experience outside Spo. (No I'm not counting the corpses of Haslem and Iggy) 

And they avoided Luka, Kawhi, Giannis, Curry and KD. 
Not taking away from their championship but it's been kind of a snoozefest run for them. Portland bent over easily and seemed to be out of gas, the Rockets' 2nd best player is a past his prime Westbrook that they would have been better without. The Nuggets are a little young and got into some bad situations with foul trouble. 
Obviously this series isn't over - the Heat are still dangerous. But their best player is a top 12 guy on most nights and they have zero Finals experience outside Spo. (No I'm not counting the corpses of Haslem and Iggy) 
Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

They have been SIGNIFICANTLY better than any team in these playoffs.  

Uh, yeah, that was kind of my point. 

It's not the Lakers' fault. Some titles are easier than others. I'm just saying as a fan it's been kind of dull to watch - they haven't faced much adversity and avoided (or didn't have to face due to injury) 5 of the best 8 players in the league. 2 of the other 3 are on their team. 

It reminds me of the 2015 Warriors run. Of course no one would take that championship away from them.

Edited by ztejas

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It's not the Lakers' fault. Some titles are easier than others. I'm just saying as a fan it's been kind of dull to watch - they haven't faced much adversity and avoided (or didn't have to face due to injury) 5 of the best 8 players in the league. 2 of the other 3 are on their team. 

You can't say that they "avoided" other superstars when those superstars' teams weren't good enough to advance, or they were the supposed leader of a team full of playoff chokers. You think the Lakers would be sweating Dallas or Giannis and Middleton? No chance.

And let's face it, the Nets or Warriors weren't winning it this year, even with full health. A team KD is on being short-handed due to his--or a key teammate's--injury (unfortunately) seems to be the case more years than not.

I agree that's it's an easier Western Conference than most years, but it was just their year.

• Hook 'Em 3

And to get a jumpstart on the inevitable debate du jour in about a week, if I wanted to make a LeBron > MJ argument, my first, second, and third points would be about availability.

Just going to give you 29, 9 and 7 and never miss a big game, seemingly forever.

It reminds me of the 2015 Warriors run. Of course no one would take that championship away from them.

Was it your point when you were stating a few posts ago that the Heat were the better team going in?
  • Hook 'Em 1