2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

May have already been discussed earlier in the thread, but I just checked out the 30 for 30 on Rodman, and thought it was pretty solid. The dude had a forrest gump like life. From a nobody living on the streets after high school, to some shit college in OK, to NBA champion, to all-star, to celebrity megastar, to Madonna, to Kim Jong  f'n Un. They interviewed a lot of NBA personalities and it was a good look back at the era of NBA hoops  that existed  when I really started following the league. 

So Kevin Garnett was on Bill Simmons' podcast and went on a rant about how Boston "broke" LeBron's will in the 2010 playoffs.  That he knew that he would never beat the 5 of them (KG, Pierce, Rondo, Allen, and Perk) on his own (gee, no shit) and had to go get help. You broke LeBron so hard that he only went on to play in the next 8 NBA Finals.

Other than the undefeated Dolphins team, is there a more annoying, delusional, irrationally boastful one-championship team in all of sports?  KG, Pierce, and Perk talk like they were some kind of dynasty.

• Like 4

Just now, TommyGufano said:

Nah, KG is super duper tough

And yeah, that was bullshit. Does knocking a player out of the playoffs now mean you broke the guy? How many fucking times was KG broken then? Surely Dirk + Mavs sweeping him with Dirk going 30 + 15 every single game qualifies. Let's ask KG about that.

Or how the Lakers took his lunch money the next two postseasons, even when he got help in the form of Cassell and Sprewell and were the #1 seed.  I'm sure that he'd readily admit that the Western Conference broke him and forced him East, right?

KG once told Tim Duncan "Happy Mother's Day.". Duncan's mom died from cancer when something like 14 years old. KG also told Carmelo that his wife "Tasted like Honey Nut Cheerios."

And there's nothing funnier than a guy who didn't win dick for a decade in Minnesota talking shit about somebody else leaving to get help. 

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

So Kevin Garnett was on Bill Simmons' podcast and went on a rant about how Boston "broke" LeBron's will in the 2010 playoffs.  That he knew that he would never beat the 5 of them (KG, Pierce, Rondo, Allen, and Perk) on his own (gee, no shit) and had to go get help. You broke LeBron so hard that he only went on to play in the next 8 NBA Finals.

Other than the undefeated Dolphins team, is there a more annoying, delusional, irrationally boastful one-championship team in all of sports?  KG, Pierce, and Perk talk like they were some kind of dynasty.

Yeah I really like KG actually but this is some REAL bullshit!!!   He went to BOS cause he had to go get help.     And even with all that help they were only able to get one.    He can fuck all the way off with that dumb shit.

5 hours ago, aggie08 said:

KG was the dude who never did jack shit before going to Boston. KG was Dirk's bitch when he was at Minnesota. 

Lebron left Cleveland by most accounts because of the Delonte West situation. He wanted out so bad that he pretty much just gave up against Boston. They didn't "break him". And like you said, if breaking him is having him go somewhere and go to the Finals for nearly the entire decade, then cool. One of the biggest fake tough guys to ever play the game.

5 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

KG once told Tim Duncan "Happy Mother's Day.". Duncan's mom died from cancer when something like 14 years old. KG also told Carmelo that his wife "Tasted like Honey Nut Cheerios."

And there's nothing funnier than a guy who didn't win dick for a decade in Minnesota talking shit about somebody else leaving to get help. 

If we were to create a career +/-  for KG’s bitchassedness, the Melo comment is one of the few positive marks on his ledger.

16 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

they handled the Lakers. that was fun to watch. 

That was our 5th straight road game, and Giannis is a badass.  Made a game of it at least after it looked like the Lakes were gonna get run off the court.

It will almost assuredly be Lakers or Clippers v Bucks in the finals.

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

That was our 5th straight road game, and Giannis is a badass.  Made a game of it at least after it looked like the Lakes were gonna get run off the court.

It was a great game.   It doesn't mean MIL is better than LAL.   It just means that a series with them would be as entertaining as I've expected that it would be.   I would LOVE to see that as a series.     The Clips would be interesting but at least at this point, I would rather see the Lakers/Bucks.    Hope both teams stay healthy for the rest of the season and we get to see them get there and go at full strength.

I do think that Giannis is serving notice that he has come for the crown.    When a guy comes back even better than he was during his MVP year, that's huge.

Edited by d2o
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Discount the mavs at your own peril. LAL is lucky to be 1-1 vs them. 

• Like 2

So have OKC fans begun to whisper to each other that they're glad that Russ is gone yet? They're not appreciably worse than they were last year with Russ and PG, and they're no longer in salary cap hell. SGA has a bright future, and they've got more draft assets than they know what to do with. CP3 and Schroder are playing well enough that their contracts don't make you physically ill, and they have enough picks to package with them (or Adams) when they do outlive their usefulness. Meanwhile, Russ continues to forget how to shoot.

OKC is in about as good of a position as any small market team without a true star can be. They just need a few of their million draft picks to hit.

14 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Discount the mavs at your own peril. LAL is lucky to be 1-1 vs them. 

The Mavs are a good team.  They won’t beat the Lakers in a 7 game series.  LBJ is playing MVPesque ball, as is AD.  In the playoffs they won’t be beaten by Dallas.

I mean I wouldn't put the Mavs in the finals, or even the WCF over the Lakers or Clippers...but I could see it if they get hot and find a way to scheme around some of those teams.

So far this year, the Lakers have not been able to dominate the Mavs(1-1 with a very questionable win thanks to a no call by the refs that has been beaten to death) and a dominate Mavs win at Staples Center.

The Clippers seem to be a much tougher matchup.

21 minutes ago, Drew said:

I mean I wouldn't put the Mavs in the finals, or even the WCF over the Lakers or Clippers...but I could see it if they get hot and find a way to scheme around some of those teams.

So far this year, the Lakers have not been able to dominate the Mavs(1-1 with a very questionable win thanks to a no call by the refs that has been beaten to death) and a dominate Mavs win at Staples Center.

The Clippers seem to be a much tougher matchup.

The Clippers have 3 all-defensive players who can take turns guarding Luka.

6 hours ago, aggie08 said:

So have OKC fans begun to whisper to each other that they're glad that Russ is gone yet? They're not appreciably worse than they were last year with Russ and PG, and they're no longer in salary cap hell. SGA has a bright future, and they've got more draft assets than they know what to do with. CP3 and Schroder are playing well enough that their contracts don't make you physically ill, and they have enough picks to package with them (or Adams) when they do outlive their usefulness. Meanwhile, Russ continues to forget how to shoot.

OKC is in about as good of a position as any small market team without a true star can be. They just need a few of their million draft picks to hit.

Again, OKC dumped Westbrook, not the other way around.  Losing PG was the real loss.... Russ is still an above-average player, but that's it..... Only about 150 million to go including 47 million in 3 years.