2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

RIP. He was the best sports commissioner of my lifetime. Globalized the game and made it what it is today. Because of Stern (and the Dream Team), the NBA is now #2 globally behind only soccer (not counting shit like Cricket that we don't have in the US) in terms of popularity. Very sad to know he's gone. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

That's a great question, although they can't really buy too much as they're already paying tax.  They also have to figure out what they want to do with Gallinari, who's expiring.  They may just let him expire and either try a S&T or let him walk for space.  I also keep reading about Steven Adams being offered up with Atlanta being interested.  But if they can get a rebuilder who wants to get rid of some decent assets under contract for an expiring and a low first then I think Presti will consider it.  As well as they're playing (7th seed), they still don't have a cohesive plan in place.  They can't trade CP3 yet and don't seem to be sold on Adams.  I would think Gallo is gone so who is their L-T core besides SGA?  Maybe they can package Gallo and Adams for a big piece although that may be far fetched...

That’s true. I was thinking they could dump Muscala or Burton to get under the tax rather easily. I don’t think they move Adams, but his name is floating around some. He’s still just 26. The way Schroeder is playing (he may be 6th man of the year) could bring in some value. And Gallo is a great piece on an expiring. I wouldn’t be surprised if they kept him and tried the sign and trade. Noel has been surprisingly great this year. I still can’t believe he turned down that extension from the Mavs. That has to haunt him.

27 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Not sure how Drummond fits on the Mavs. Surprised they'd try and move Drummond before dumping Griffin.

Especially given his recent health I cant see anyone taking BG.   Drummond can be a FA at the end of the season.   They are trying to get something for him rather than to lose him for nothing or have to MASSIVELY overpay him to keep him.

I thought DAL was a strange to be in on him too but apparently he and Porzingas are friends.    Not sure what exactly that has to do with them fitting together though

Edited by d2o

12 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

82562866_3213026328744101_52731305112276

Good Lord I remember those days vividly. He just took really large men and treated them like ragdolls. It was so impressive to watch. Shaq's footwork was always underrated because he was so damn big. He knew how to position guys in a way where he just overpowered them really quickly. Watching him in his prime was amazing. 

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Like 1

Pupu platter du jour is sitting at 15-38 for 35 points with 4-17 on 3's

Davis is 12-16 with 38 points and 3-4 on 3's. Will finish with 40 and 10 in 3 quarters for the 2nd time this year. No one else has pulled that off. I mean that is just ridiculous. 

Still trying to figure out how anyone thought LA was fleeced or gave up too much.

Edited by UpperWestside

12 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Davis is 12-16 with 38 points and 3-4 on 3's. Will finish with 40 and 10 in 3 quarters for the 2nd time this year. No one else has pulled that off. I mean that is just ridiculous. 

Still trying to figure out how anyone thought LA was fleeced or gave up too much.

I don't think anyone thought that LA got fleeced in terms of the active players involved. Ball, Ingram, Hart, etc. have always been a collection of meh (hence the Pelicans not pulling the trigger mid-season). They did get caught bidding against themselves though and threw in a couple of extra first round picks and [seemingly safe] pick swaps that they probably didn't absolutely have to once it was clear that Boston wasn't willing to mortgage their future on a possible rental. But they're the Lakers: they don't (and shouldn't) care about draft picks when there's a legitimate superstar up for grabs. And they got to keep Kuzma.

Like the OKC/LAC trade for George, it was about as close to a win-win as it gets. The Lakers got LeBron the perfect running mate, and the Pelicans got as many future assets as they could for a star who demanded out and proceeded to scared off most of the potential buyers.

Edited by aggie08

Lakers had 20 blocks in tonight's game.  What's the NBA record for most blocks in a game by a team?  I know the most blocks in a game by a player is 17, so I assume 20 probably isn't the record by a team in a game, but it's still a hell of a lot.  Did the google thing for a few minutes and couldn't find the answer.

11 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Lakers had 20 blocks in tonight's game.  What's the NBA record for most blocks in a game by a team?  I know the most blocks in a game by a player is 17, so I assume 20 probably isn't the record by a team in a game, but it's still a hell of a lot.  Did the google thing for a few minutes and couldn't find the answer.

It seems that 20 blocks in a game isn't even a Lakers team record.  It is, however, the most blocks in a game by any team since 2001 according to the linked article.  However, the article doesn't say what the record is.  

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28431732/heck-luxury-lakers-post-nba-first-20-block-game-20-years

6 minutes ago, CBT said:

You know that clip of an 80's Lakers/Celtics game with the players looking this they're running in quicksand, bricking 17 footers left and right that the younger generation occasionally circulates to show that the league actually wasn't better back in the good ol' days? This is going to be the video that our grandkids show us in 30 years to try to prove that the league we liked so much was whack.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 11:22 PM, UpperWestside said:

It wasn’t about the trade necessarily it was about the depth at the time coupled with Davis being injury prone and Lebron being old. If one goes down then they could be bottom 10 in the league. They’re winning the bet right now that’s for sure. 

21 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

It wasn’t about the trade necessarily it was about the depth at the time coupled with Davis being injury prone and Lebron being old. If one goes down then they could be bottom 10 in the league. They’re winning the bet right now that’s for sure. 

Every team will be in deep trouble if they lose their superstar.    You cannot look at the trade in a vacuum    Its not like they would not be able to acquire depth with the spots emptied via trade.      AD, Danny Green, Dwight, Javale, Rondo for what they gave up is more than a good enough return for a MVP level guy

29 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Interesting, AD turned down the max to stay in LA, choosing FA.

Not even remotely interesting.    He was never gonna sign a 3 yr extension when he can wait until the summer and sign a 5 yr fully guaranteed deal worth in the neighborhood of 250M

• Like 2