2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

30 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

I think Mil is moving into the laid back zone for the seeding tourney. Clips lost to the Suns and the reaction from the Clips was - don't care as long as we are the 2 or 3 seed. 

Of course they are. Giannis only played 16 minutes.

I think Denver is happy at No. 3 and with Portland possibly playing the lakers. Lakers v. Port and Clips v. Dallas would be tough first round matchups for the LA teams. 

Nuggets missing 4 starters and sitting Jokic in the 4th. Got to within one, and then Portland kept raining in the 3's.

Portland is a danger for the Lakers (if Portland gets there). 

57 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

I think Denver is happy at No. 3 and with Portland possibly playing the lakers. Lakers v. Port and Clips v. Dallas would be tough first round matchups for the LA teams. 

Nuggets missing 4 starters and sitting Jokic in the 4th. Got to within one, and then Portland kept raining in the 3's.

Portland is a danger for the Lakers (if Portland gets there). 

Dallas will be lucky to take the Clips to 6. Very little nut-cutting experience on that team and they have looked pretty shitty in the restart. Clips would be my pick to win the title right now. 

11 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Mavs are not the seventh best team in the West, but that is where they will probably end up - much to the chagrin of LAC. DAL is a dangerous 7th seed. 

You are way too high on Dallas, man. Maybe you're right, but I will be astounded if the Mavs make it out of the first round. They might not be the 7th best team in the West, but I don't think they are in the top 5. I'm not sure they are any better than the Blazers right now.

George and Kawhi aren't sweating Dallas. The Mavs might have a shot if they draw Denver but I like the Nuggets a good deal more right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

The Western Conference is going to be a goddamn bloodbath this year. Denver has been wrecking shop without their starting backcourt. Portland is healthy. Luka is going to do Luka things. Harden is healthy and spry. Lakers and Clippers are just biding their time. OKC looks competent and deadly. Utah is the only team that looks so so. This is going to be awesome. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, angelfacedmongoloid said:

Gobert and Mitchell not playing. Maybe a few other starters too

Agree. Utah resting up for game against Denver tomorrow (a possible first round matchup for them). All about matchups for the 3-6 teams in the West. Den/Uta would be a good 1st round series. 

And OKC/Hou would be fun to watch. 

Edited by washparkhorn

30 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

The guy who demanded to be traded to form a super team should not be talking smack to a life longer

Did PG demand a trade from Indianapolis too?

Yes. Dame has already responded with such veracity that I doubt we hear from Mr. George again on the subject. 

4 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Yes. Dame has already responded with such veracity that I doubt we hear from Mr. George again on the subject. 

PG started talking about how fans was gassing it up and then started talking about all the surgeries he had like that had anything to do with him talking shit.

Rank their Champ odds based off of what you have seen in the bubble so far. Top 5. 

1. Bucks

2. Lakers

3. Clippers (have to imagine once they get Montrez back and can field a full squad they will progressively get better)

4. Toronto - Don't get it. But Saturday night aside, they just keep kicking ass. 

5. Boston. Not convinced they have the chemistry, but they have the talent. 

Other teams I could see taking a run at it: Dallas (recency bias? Probably) Like OKC and Miami's grit but no. Don't believe in Dantonio's small ball (yes I misspelled that on purposed, turnabout is fair play). Maybe I would buy Indiana with a little more proof of Oladipo being healthy. Philly was tenuous coming in and forget it without Simmons. 

Am I talking myself into a Boston and Dallas future bet? I think I might be. 

Rank their Champ odds based off of what you have seen in the bubble so far. Top 5. 
1. Bucks
2. Lakers
3. Clippers (have to imagine once they get Montrez back and can field a full squad they will progressively get better)
4. Toronto - Don't get it. But Saturday night aside, they just keep kicking ass. 
Other teams I could see taking a run at it: Dallas (recency bias? Probably) Like OKC and Miami's grit but no. Don't believe in Dantonio's small ball (yes I misspelled that on purposed, turnabout is fair play). Maybe I would buy Indiana with a little more proof of Oladipo being healthy. Philly was tenuous coming in and forget it without Simmons. 

Dallas has massive problems if they have to play the Clippers, i think the only real shot at avoiding them is if Denver can overtake them for the 2nd seed.

21 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

1. Bucks

As a lifelong Bucks fan, I hope you're right. But I've been pretty underwhelmed with what I've seen from them in the bubble. Granted, we have the #1 seed locked up and our first round series will likely be a formality, so there's plenty of time to get things up to speed, but I dunno. This team looks off the pace to me right now.

11 minutes ago, 406W30th said:

As a lifelong Bucks fan, I hope you're right. But I've been pretty underwhelmed with what I've seen from them in the bubble. Granted, we have the #1 seed locked up and our first round series will likely be a formality, so there's plenty of time to get things up to speed, but I dunno. This team looks off the pace to me right now.

Of the top 3 teams, you have the easiest path and should be well rested for the Finals.  Anybody wanna play Dame Lillard  and a healthy Blazers frontcourt right now as your reward for getting the 1 seed?  Luka as your prize for getting the 2 seed?  

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Of the top 3 teams, you have the easiest path and should be well rested for the Finals.  Anybody wanna play Dame Lillard  and a healthy Blazers frontcourt right now as your reward for getting the 1 seed?  Luka as your prize for getting the 2 seed?  

Fair point.

As well as the Raptors are playing right now, they're still not on the level of either of the LA teams, and almost every team in the West is a potential banana peel. (That being said, I'm not encouraged by what I've seen of the bubble Bucks.)

On 8/8/2020 at 11:20 PM, Baboontyme said:

1. Bucks

2. Lakers

Clippers

Lakers

Raptors

Bucks

The rest aren't worth mentioning.

Edited by BradInATX

17 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I like Houston better than the Lakers right now. I agree with the other 4. I'd bet one of my kidneys it will be one of those 5.

Yeah, Houston has talent and might be better than some of my list. I don't think Harden, Russ, and D'Antoni have the balls and toughness needed to win a championship. I also think the Lakers and Clippers are goofing off and will be much more ferocious in the playoffs. The Lakers can use the first round as an easy warm up series, and the Clippers will be healthy and ready and (fuck) Kawhi will turn into playoff Kawhi. I think they're the clear frontrunners at this point.

Toronto is good team, extraordinarily well-coached and disciplined and plays with heart and grit. They probably don't have the raw talent, but you never know. I actually don't think Milwaukee has a real chance. They are soft and oddly built for a playoff run. Giannis will get worn down in the every-other-night condensed format, as the Bucks ask so much of him every night. I have similar concerns about the Lakers and LeBron and the condensed format.

IMO the Clips are the clear favorite. The energy that Kawhi and Paul George and Lou Williams make the other team exert on both ends of the floor every other night is going to be Chinese water torture to their opponents. If anyone can take them more than 5 games or so, that other team is going to be beat to shit and exhausted by game 6.

Though I can see some universe where LAL plays LAC in the WCF and LAL somehow sneaks by the Clips in 7, but is so burnt out and exhausted that they lose to an Eastern team they shouldn't. Similar to what the 2008 Hornets did to the Spurs by wearing them out in 7 so much that the Spurs never competed in the next series against the Lakers. Or even like GSW last year, though that was more injury than exhaustion.

I'd probably handicap it something like:

Clips 2:1

Lakers 4:1

Raptors 6:1

Bucks 12:1

Field: 10:1

Edited by BradInATX