2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

16 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I kinda feel like if there's ever going to be a comeback from an 0-3 deficit, this series is it. I mean Miami will probably still pull it out, but the Bucks have the talent. And with there being no homecourt advantage at all, there's no game 6 backstop in front of their home crowd like the Heat would have in a normal scenario. It's just another game at the some hotel against a talented squad that now has built a good amount of momentum. I'd be pretty nervous if I were a Heat fan and Milwaukee wins tonight.

It’s easy for me to say this right now, but I think they finish them off today. I think they came out fired up, but once Spolestra has a change to make 2nd half adjustments, he’s just a better coach. At least better at making adjustments. 

10 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

It’s easy for me to say this right now, but I think they finish them off today. I think they came out fired up, but once Spolestra has a change to make 2nd half adjustments, he’s just a better coach. At least better at making adjustments. 

Yeah here we are 5 minutes after my post and Miami is up 8. Like I said, I don't necessarily think Milwaukee is going to do it. Was just considering the notion that the bubble might make the historic 0-3 comeback more possible than under normal circumstances.

Edited by BradInATX

26 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Yeah here we are 5 minutes after my post and Miami is up 8. Like I said, I don't necessarily think Milwaukee is going to do it. Was just considering the notion that the bubble might make the historic 0-3 comeback more possible than under normal circumstances.

Absolutely. 

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Yeah they aren't gonna split the ticket like that.   They like/want to have each game have its own spot in most instances.

If you put a gun to their head and forced them, in non pandemic times- they would split it rather than start at 1:00 in the afternoon. They already split the first round somewhat with games on nba tv opposite turner or opposite Disney. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If you put a gun to their head and forced them, in non pandemic times- they would split it rather than start at 1:00 in the afternoon. They already split the first round somewhat with games on nba tv opposite turner or opposite Disney. 

Yeah they play a few 1st round games on NBATV in the first week (seems like it was always games with TOR) but its just the first game and they stagger it a bit so it starts an hour or so before the TNT/ESPN games. 

Edited by d2o

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Is it a bad take that LeBron is still the best player in the league? If so, then consider my take bad. 

No, I don't think it's a crazy opinion. I mean this is probably the best half of basketball he's played all season, though. I think it's he, Harden and Kawhi right now and whoever comes out of the West should get bragging rights.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

No, I don't think it's a crazy opinion. I mean this is probably the best half of basketball he's played all season, though. I think it's he, Harden and Kawhi right now and whoever comes out of the West should get bragging rights.

You seem to have forgotten the league MVP for the past 2 seasons 

Edited by TonyTexas

25 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Is it a bad take that LeBron is still the best player in the league? If so, then consider my take bad. 

Not at all.  I’ve been roundly criticized for making this point for awhile now.  There’s a reason he is going to come in 2nd in the MVP voting.  And maybe a close 2nd.  He can take over a game at any time.  

40 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

EDIT: Lakers shot 62 percent from the field, had more FTs and equaled Houston on 3-pointers yet still trail by 3 at the break.

If you don't think that the Lakers can keep that kind of efficiency up you must not be familiar with Mike D'Antoni's body of work.

25 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

That wasn’t the debate. 

The MVP doesn't always go to the best player in the NBA. Pretty much how it's always been. Or else MJ and LeBron would have 10 each. MVP rewards who had the best individual regular season and nothing more. Not a single person on the planet thought Derrick Rose was ever the best player in the league. Playoffs matter. A lot.

Edited by aggie08

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

No, I don't think the Lakers can maintain that level of efficiency, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make.

I mean you said it as if it was a positive for Houston. D'Antoni's teams allowing the other team's offense to be super efficient isn't something that will correct itself. He's done it his entire career. Houston will have to outscore LA to win this series.

Edited by BradInATX

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

The MVP doesn't always go to the best player in the NBA. Pretty much how it's always been. Or else MJ and LeBron would have 10 each. MVP rewards who had the best individual regular season and nothing more. Not a single person on the planet thought Derrick Rose was ever the best player in the league.

I was replying to the post below. Do you not think Giannis should be in the conversation with LeBron, Hardin and Kawhi? 

47 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Just now, BradInATX said:

I mean you said it as if it was a positive for Houston. D'Antoni's teams allowing the other team's offense to be super efficient isn't something that will correct itself. He's done it his entire career.

I said it with the intention of expressing what a quality first half it was, i.e., the Lakers played that well and still trailed. Sorry such nuance is lost on you.

1 minute ago, TonyTexas said:

I was replying to the post below. Do you not think Giannis should be in the conversation with LeBron, Hardin and Kawhi? 

Um, no. I don't think he should be. He got swept out of the playoffs by the 5 seed. Unless you count the game they won where he left in the 2nd quarter. 

59 minutes ago, UTDD said:

I'd have LeBron and Kawhi by themselves, and Giannis and Harden below right now.  The latter have simply not shown enough in the playoffs yet.

If Dallas was offered any of those guys for Luka, I’m not sure they would even call back. Maybe Giannis, but doubtful. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

If Dallas was offered any of those guys for Luka, I’m not sure they would even call back. Maybe Giannis, but doubtful. 

That's a different argument. You take the 21 year old on the rookie contract who is going to be great for the next decade. 

But if you are picking one guy for a game being played today, I'm taking LeBron and not really hesitating. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BradInATX said:

So do we all agree that this Rockets team would have been much, much better had they not made the CP3 for Westbrook trade?

yeah. CP3 gives us an alternative half court set to work from in the a heated playoff game. Westbrook gives you hyper fast highlights in regular season games. don't get me wrong the guy competes really hard but his skills are limiting and he seems to have a 10 cent head. 

Harden has always been mystifying to me. I don't know where or how he exerts leadership in these kinds of tough games. It seems too easy to remove him from the equation. 

That heat bucks game was fun to watch. very hard competition and lots of levels of action to watch. I think that was the most entertaining game so far for me in the bubble 

Edited by staboner
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Well sure, but trade value is predicated much more on potential value going forward than the current status of a player today.  If LeBron James was 21 again, his trade value obviously would be exponentially different than at 35 on the tail end of his career.  Huge fan of Luka, but right now for the 2020 playoffs, I'd easily take Kawhi and LeBron over him and not even blink.  

5 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

that might just be the alpha that Giannis needs. 

I was looking at the numbers last night to try and see how that would work.   I have no idea how MIL could get a package to shed enough salary to get CP3.   Bledsoe would have to go along with Lopez and they still would be short.   OKC wont want Bledsoe and his 3yr/45M and I'm betting that MIL won't want to part with Lopez as well as he has played for them.

Chris Paul has had a magical year in OKC (probably helped tremendously by a 4 month break in the middle).

But the idea of trading for him with almost $86M due to him over the next two years to help your chances for a deep playoff run (during which he'll be 36 years old) reeks of desperation.

But I suppose if they're at all worried that Giannis will leave, they are desperate.

1 hour ago, d2o said:

I was looking at the numbers last night to try and see how that would work.   I have no idea how MIL could get a package to shed enough salary to get CP3.   Bledsoe would have to go along with Lopez and they still would be short.   OKC wont want Bledsoe and his 3yr/45M and I'm betting that MIL won't want to part with Lopez as well as he has played for them.

Would OKC have any interest in Middleton's contract? I give him a hard time because I resented the "you're Milwaukee; you have to max out this 1x All-Star to be a contender and keep Giannis" logic from last off-season, but he's built himself into a Top 20ish player. And he fits OKC's youth movement a little better (though he's not as young as people think he is).

I highly doubt Milwaukee would entertain the idea--trading away their best shooter in a 3-heavy offense to go all-in on next year--but it would make the money work...

Edited by aggie08

14 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Would OKC have any interest in Middleton's contract? I give him a hard time because I resented the "you're Milwaukee; you have to max out this 1x All-Star to be a contender and keep Giannis" logic from last off-season, but he's built himself into a Top 20ish player. And he fits OKC's youth movement a little better (though he's not as young as people think he is).

I highly doubt Milwaukee would entertain the idea--trading away their best shooter in a 3-heavy offense to go all-in on next year--but it would make the money work...

Yeah, I cant imagine that MIL would do that.   They would wanna add Paul to Freak/KM.    If they could somehow get a better player (thought I REALLY like Middleton) then yeah I'm sure they would but going from Freak/KM to Freak/CP3 is not an upgrade..........at all.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Chris Paul has had a magical year in OKC (probably helped tremendously by a 4 month break in the middle).

But the idea of trading for him with almost $86M due to him over the next two years to help your chances for a deep playoff run (during which he'll be 36 years old) reeks of desperation.

But I suppose if they're at all worried that Giannis will leave, they are desperate.

If they can get him basically for Bledsoe and a pick they should do it immediately and put him on the Kawhi plan so that he can be relatively fresh for the playoffs.