2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Has Siakam reached "pretty good player and that's all he'll ever be" status at this point, or does he still have superstar potential?

Toronto lacked depth this playoff season.  Siakam looked tired during this Celtic series and I'm sure it's a hell of a lot more difficult to play without a player on your team like Kawhi...

But he's probably not a superstar... but certainly a good player.

10 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Heat Celtics should be a fun series. Heat are deeper, have the best player in the series, and (IMO, and slightly) the better coach. I'll very unconfidently take Miami.

Heat will probably be favored... but sometimes it's a little harder to win a playoff series with the added pressure of being the favorite.

Looking forward to watching Miami vs Boston a lot more than Clippers vs Lakers... the Eastern Conference teams are full-out dawgs playing with high energy!!

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Has Siakam reached "pretty good player and that's all he'll ever be" status at this point, or does he still have superstar potential?

Hard to say.  He's 26 and made giant leaps the last 2 years in responsibility and growth in his game.  What he needs now is refinement.  He's very close to the 1-1-1 club.  He can get there with probably experience and a little guile.  He's almost to .800 from the line.  Practice can get there.  His FG% went down a lot as his USG% bounced up 8%, he can become a more efficient player.  He averages about 3.5 assists, can he get that closer to 5?  The biggest thing I think he needs is a go to move and it could even be on the block.  If he can get a go to move, then I think he can take another jump, which would be from All-Star level to All-Pro potential.  Probably not first team, but maybe 2nd or 3rd.  I don't think he's a #1, most have already become that, even by 26, but he can be a badass #2.  He still has the potential, but it's so hard to be a superstar and it depends on your definition....

• Like 2

Why was nick nurse wearing a ball cap with his initials on it during post game pc?

also, Malone and milsap’s comments on the clippers talking too much sound familiar. If they are going above and beyond expected court talk or behavior, someone should reign it in other than the other players that risk ejection and suspension when they do it. 

8 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Heat Celtics should be a fun series. Heat are deeper, have the best player in the series, and (IMO, and slightly) the better coach. I'll very unconfidently take Miami.

Yeah Butler is playing great ball right now but he isnt better than Tatum.

7 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Why was nick nurse wearing a ball cap with his initials on it during post game pc?

also, Malone and milsap’s comments on the clippers talking too much sound familiar. If they are going above and beyond expected court talk or behavior, someone should reign it in other than the other players that risk ejection and suspension when they do it. 

He wears that all the time.

And for that earlier question about not hearing the whistles:  They have sleeves on the whistles so that no saliva is blown into the air when they are blown so it muffles the sound a bit.   In an empty gym I havent seen the players have an issue hearing them but it has been a little hard to hear for the broadcast

9 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Lots of harden/cp3 trade talk, but Houston also traded Lowry for gary forbes and a protected first rounder that I have no idea what happened to. 

The Lowry pick was reverse protected and was one of the main assets that okc wanted in the harden trade. The kick became Stephen Adams. 

Yeah Butler is playing great ball right now but he isnt better than Tatum.
He is, by a significant margin. He's a better rebounder, better passer, creates more turnovers on defense, commits fewer turnovers on offense. Tatum literally does nothing better than Butler unless you want to give him credit for his 3 points more per 36 minutes which is offset by Butler's far superior true shooting.
And we haven't even talked individual defense where Butler destroys him.
It's Butler. It's not close. That might change as Tatum develops.

5 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

He is, by a significant margin. He's a better rebounder, better passer, creates more turnovers on defense, commits fewer turnovers on offense. Tatum literally does nothing better than Butler unless you want to give him credit for his 3 points more per 36 minutes which is offset by Butler's far superior true shooting.
And we haven't even talked individual defense where Butler destroys him.
It's Butler. It's not close. That might change as Tatum develops.

Yes the guy avg'ing 21.8/5.6/4.2 on 51.8% eFG is better in every way than the guy avg'ing 25.3/10.1/4.3 on 52.2% eFG.   Alright then

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

Wait where are you getting your stats from? You think Tatum averages a double double? He averages 6 rebounds, 7 this year22b7f87999caf2448c1131f091634998.jpg

Playoff stats.   Ya know. Now when it counts the most.

Edited by d2o
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Yeah, give me the guy who just pissed all over the #1 seed in the conference in 5 games and has been sitting back in hotel room watching the Celtics struggle with a Toronto team that doesn't have a true star on it.

yeah, if Butler had played MIL by himself, I might subscribe to that theory......alas......its a team sport.   I like Butler as much as the next guy but your obsession with him is interesting to say the least.

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Heck no.

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:
1 hour ago, d2o said:
Heck no.

Yeah, absolutely not. Stevens' teams have underperformed as of late if anything. Getting to the Finals would redeem him some, but he's still no Spo.

When has Spoelstra actually made noise without a top 3 player on his team or two top 5 players? Stevens has literally NEVER had a superstar on the team. His best players have been top 10-15 range guys. His regular season win % trails Spoelstra by 4.2 percentage points. Maybe translates to 3 extra wins per season. Are you telling me Stevens wouldn't average 3 more wins per season if he had prime Lebron for 4-5 seasons? C'mon. Spoelstra has missed the playoffs 3 times in 12 years; Stevens once in 7 years (his first year with the team). I'm not saying Spoelstra is dog shit, but Stevens brings more to the +/- as a coach.

When has Spoelstra actually made noise without a top 3 player on his team or two top 5 players?

Err..

That oversight aside, I understand the argument for Stevens. But post LBJ, Spo has made the playoffs multiple times with absolute garbage rosters. Stevens has extremely talented squads. Spo is a better in game schemer (look no further than what they did to Milwaukee).

Stevens with Spo's post LBJ talent would be rough.

Do you mean this year when he's gotten exactly as far as Brad Stevens?
Yep. Much tougher path too. But we'll see. The Celtics still have more raw talent, although the Heat are deeper.
The Celtics offense is brutal to watch. There's very little actual scheme. Whereas Spo has built a system that fits his random group of guys perfectly.

Not sure how I get the Heat are randomly assorted pieces. Seem to have an ideal mix of stretch bigs, crafty wings, and sharpshooters. Also not sure how the Celtics offense is any more brutal than other NBA offense. They're not 2016 GSW, but they aren't the Rockets for Christ's sake. They rely on driving off high screens hoping to either draw defenders from the corner and get a corner 3 or take a shot in the lane. Look at their shot chart from last night. You can argue they end up with too many threes from up top, but it's honestly not far off from the typical Heat shot chart against Milwaukee. They may not crow about analytics as loudly as some, but the Boston offense is very much predicated on avoiding mid-range twos while maximizing shots at the rim and corner 3s, exactly as analytics suggest they should.

Screenshot_2020-09-12_08-33-44.png

Not sure how I get the Heat are randomly assorted pieces. Seem to have an ideal mix of stretch bigs, crafty wings, and sharpshooters. Also not sure how the Celtics offense is any more brutal than other NBA offense. They're not 2016 GSW, but they aren't the Rockets for Christ's sake. They rely on driving off high screens hoping to either draw defenders from the corner and get a corner 3 or take a shot in the lane. Look at their shot chart from last night. You can argue they end up with too many threes from up top, but it's honestly not far off from the typical Heat shot chart against Milwaukee. They may not crow about analytics as loudly as some, but the Boston offense is very much predicated on avoiding mid-range twos while maximizing shots at the rim and corner 3s, exactly as analytics suggest they should.

Screenshot_2020-09-12_08-33-44.png.cf3bbee7bf40c545d17826b017c599e5.png

That's like 8 for 40 from three because they were all terrible contested iso shots. If you watched that game last night and were happy with the shot selection by either team, I'm not sure how to respond.

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

That's like 8 for 40 from three because they were all terrible contested iso shots. If you watched that game last night and were happy with the shot selection by either team, I'm not sure how to respond.

I was responding to your bottom that Stevens doesn't have an offensive system. They clearly do. They weren't hiring a lot of 3 last night and ended up taking too many contests 3 skate in the shot clock, but that is a different argument. The shot chart supports exactly what I said: they run a system designed to get corner 3 sand shots at the room. 

19 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I was responding to your bottom that Stevens doesn't have an offensive system. They clearly do. They weren't hiring a lot of 3 last night and ended up taking too many contests 3 skate in the shot clock, but that is a different argument. The shot chart supports exactly what I said: they run a system designed to get corner 3 sand shots at the room. 

and also fuck typing on a phone.

bottom -> belief

hiring -> hitting

3 skate -> 3s late

corner 3 sand -> corner 3s and

shots at the room -> shots at the rim

LeBron James' complete lack of give-a-shit about Game 1's in fascinating to me. I've always defaulted to the sports' talking head standard of "You set the tone in Game 1!" But dude legitimately doesn't care. He happily wastes a playoff game to probe, analyze, and assess the opposition to best meticulously take them apart going forward. Next level.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1