2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

76ers with 3 titles and 9 finals appearances. I didn’t count up the conference finals or wins but I bet they are higher. Also Detroit probably compares favorably. So there you go- that’s the list of teams more or less evenly accomplished in their team histories with Lebron:

celtics, Lakers, bulls, Pistons, 76ers, spurs and warriors. The only reason the heat are even marginally in the conversation is he did half of his playoff damage with them. It’s a freakish career in the playoffs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I just did the rockets. 158 in total wins stacks up pretty favorably, and 3 titles to two isn’t much different. But man- the 9 finals thing for LeBron is pretty impressive (rockets have 4) as is the 13 conference finals (rockets have 8 I think). So no they aren’t all they aren’t all that comparable. 
heat have him tied at 3 titles but they are way behind in wins and nba finals trips and conference finals trips so they aren’t really comparable either. 
I did think of one I’m pretty sure stacks up I’m those counting stats totals and that’s the 76ers. 

All 3 of the Heat titles come from Haslem right?   He's basically a coach at this point. 

EDIT: Oh wait you mean the whole team history, my fault.   I was thinking players on the teams currently.   Jeez, I didn't even consider it that way.   LBJ Vs full team histories is f-ing nuts!

Edited by d2o
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Bron Bron crying about finishing 2nd is why he will never be the GOAT to me. I get the frustration but keep it in your circle. Plus he has won it 4 times already.

Yes.  You're ALREADY considered T2 of all time.  It's your 17th season.  You're about to win a title with your 3rd team.  And yet still sour about MVP results? 

OTOH, maybe he's also trying to 1-up MJ in terms of Pettiness.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Lakers D is going to win this series.

If Dwight is going to keep punking Jokic this is going to be a quick series. This is the kind of energy Dwight played with a decade ago. You can see it is a point of emphasis to play Jokic as physical as they can and then some. As great as Murray is already the Nuggets go as Jokic goes and so far the Lakers are giving him the business in this series.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Damn, that one stings. Not going to get a better chance than that. LeBron was terrible in the last 5 minutes... obviously can't count on that again, nor can you reasonably expect to beat LeBron 4 times in 5 games on a neutral court.

Lebron almost looked like he was actively trying to lose that game.  Haven't seen him that bad in clutch time in a long time.     Just glad Rondo was inbounding.   Anyone else may have forced it to Lebron there.

5 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

NBA needs to avoid as much as possible to have games on weekends. I’m sure most of us missed this one

Yeah. I'm struggling to stay interested. Their ratings are in the fucking toilet. Playing against football is so terrible for the NBA. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Yeah. I'm struggling to stay interested. Their ratings are in the fucking toilet. Playing against football is so terrible for the NBA. 

Interesting.  I like football and checked the game during the commercials but I LOVE basketball.    Especially playoff basketball.  No way am I missing playoff games for reg season football.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/19/2020 at 7:33 PM, Brothahorn said:

Bron Bron crying about finishing 2nd is why he will never be the GOAT to me. I get the frustration but keep it in your circle. Plus he has won it 4 times already.

Do you like MJ still whining about not making the varsity team as a sophomore 40 yrs later?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, d2o said:

Interesting.  I like football and checked the game during the commercials but I LOVE basketball.    Especially playoff basketball.  No way am I missing playoff games for reg season football.

I just don't care who wins at this point and cheering against the Lakers is only so much fun. It also means that sometimes I have to watch them win and I'd rather not. 

The bubble product is seriously lacking, too, imo. Where as football feels mostly the same with less fans in the stands, basketball not played in an arena without fans sitting Courtside is just missing something. 

I watched the 4th quarter last night but I would never watch Celtics/Heat over a Sunday Night football game. The product is too inferior.

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I just don't care who wins at this point and cheering against the Lakers is only so much fun. It also means that sometimes I have to watch them win and I'd rather not. 

The bubble product is seriously lacking, too, imo. Where as football feels mostly the same with less fans in the stands, basketball not played in an arena without fans sitting Courtside is just missing something. 

I watched the 4th quarter last night but I would never watch Celtics/Heat over a Sunday Night football game. The product is too inferior.

Especially as good as those ECF games have been I completely disagree but to each his own

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

The bubble has been better than regular arenas. Hearing the players and officials and coaches is way better than hearing fans.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

The bubble has been better than regular arenas. Hearing the players and officials and coaches is way better than hearing fans.

i miss the fans.  i would have loved to hear the crowd's reaction at AAC after luka hit that game winner in game 4. 

2 hours ago, d2o said:

Do you like MJ still whining about not making the varsity team as a sophomore 40 yrs later?

When he was what, like 5'10" or 5'11" or something?  

He checked to all his hotels in the name of the guy that beat him out for that team.  The story is so absurd and his ability to carry a grudge and use it for motivation, while driving him to greater heights I'm sure, probably doesn't help him live as a centered and contented human being. 
I'm glad that's him living like that and giving me entertainment value at the highest level- but damn, what a beating.  

Edited by Wulaw Horn

35 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I do like it for the fact that we are seeing role players that would normally be more effected by road crowds perform at a high level pretty consistently.    Its made for closer games I think.

39 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I wouldn't go that far, but I am enjoying these games far more than I thought I would. It's going to be a shame when the Lakers win, and the asterisk talk explodes 100 fold (because LeBron is one championship closer to Michael). They've done about as well as they possibly could have to create an even playing field and replicate playoff intensity.

18 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I wouldn't go that far, but I am enjoying these games far more than I thought I would. It's going to be a shame when the Lakers win, and the asterisk talk explodes 100 fold (because LeBron is one championship closer to Michael). They've done about as well as they possibly could have to create an even playing field and replicate playoff intensity.

Wait I thought you said the LBJ hate didnt really exist in the media.   Just like you said, if the Lakers win there will be a swell of asterisk talk all because LBJ would be getting another ring.

12 hours ago, ztejas said:

Why on earth are there 3 nights between ECF games? Is the NBA getting that desperate for viewers?

Good grief you guys and the ratings talk.    They are just taking a cycle to let the WCF catch up with the ECF.  After tonight both will be going into game 4.

5 minutes ago, d2o said:

Wait I thought you said the LBJ hate didnt really exist in the media.   Just like you said, if the Lakers win there will be a swell of asterisk talk all because LBJ would be getting another ring.

I would consider diminishing his accomplishments to keep him entrenched as only the 2nd best to ever play (which obviously happens) and people piling on to call him a choker or soft when he loses (which doesn't really happen anymore, especially after 2016) different things.

I think everyone who isn't actively trying to be a contrarian for the sake of ratings pretty much acknowledges his greatness* now, even when he does come up short.

*as long as that greatness stops short of His Airness