2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

That doesn't make any sense. They could have just started the ECF later if that was the case. I think they are trying to avoid MNF and the Stanley Cup.

The NBA aint running from Stanley Cup that is for sure.    The demos dont cross enough for one thing.   For another NHL isnt the draw that the NBA is.

Waiting to start the ECF would mean they were anticipating that the WCF would go 7 which they didnt know.

1 minute ago, d2o said:

The NBA aint running from Stanley Cup that is for sure.    The demos dont cross enough for one thing.   For another NHL isnt the draw that the NBA is.

Waiting to start the ECF would mean they were anticipating that the WCF would go 7 which they didnt know.

You're right. I'm being a little too cynical.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

I would consider diminishing his accomplishments to keep him entrenched as only the 2nd best to ever play (which obviously happens) and people piling on to call him a choker or soft when he loses (which doesn't really happen anymore, especially after 2016) different things.

I think everyone who isn't actively trying to be a contrarian for the sake of ratings pretty much acknowledges his greatness* now, even when he does come up short.

*as long as that greatness stops short of His Airness

Its all irrational.  Just like the posts about Bron "whining" about coming in 2nd for MVP but those same people saying the MJ still whining about not making his varsity team 30 yrs was just him using it for "motivation".   Dude actually invited the guy that made the HS team in front of him to his HOF speech to tell him he was better than him.

1 minute ago, d2o said:

Its all irrational.  Just like the posts about Bron "whining" about coming in 2nd for MVP but those same people saying the MJ still whining about not making his varsity team 30 yrs was just him using it for "motivation".   Dude actually invited the guy that made the HS team in front of him to his HOF speech to tell him he was better than him.

To be fair, this is like the 6th straight season that he's not so subtly hinted that he should be the MVP, despite not having much of an argument for any one of them. It's a little off-putting, especially when he has so many media friends who are happy to take up the cause for him. MJ kept most of his perceived slights internal. I'm sure if he brought up that guy's name every year, we would have been like, "Okay, we get it." At least this year, LBJ seemed like he was attempting to start a conversation about the voting criteria, which actually has merit. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

To be fair, this is like the 6th straight season that he's not so subtly hinted that he should be the MVP, despite not having much of an argument for any one of them. It's a little off-putting, especially when he has so many media friends who are happy to take up the cause for him. MJ kept most of his perceived slights internal. I'm sure if he brought up that guy's name every year, we would have been like, "Okay, we get it." At least this year, LBJ seemed like he was attempting to start a conversation about the voting criteria, which actually has merit. 

Dude he brought the guy to his HOF speech to clown him hahahahahahahaahhahahahha I mean cmon.  That story about him not making the varsity team was part of his lore from the start of his career and mentioned many times in his commercials.   It was even skewed to say that he didnt make the team when it was that he stayed on the JV team as a sophomore despite the fact that most sophomores dont make varsity.

48 minutes ago, d2o said:

That story about him not making the varsity team was part of his lore from the start of his career and mentioned many times in his commercials.

But how many times did HE directly mention it until his HOF speech? Allowing his media sycophants to run with it is just different than directly speaking to it year after year. I mean, c'mon, you can set your watch to LeBron campaigning to be the MVP in March, then lamenting the whole process once he loses. Again, it's just off-putting, especially when it has the direct effect of throwing shade at the league's other great players. Weren't there already enough talking heads jumping at the opportunity to say, "See, that's why LeBron is the true MVP" once Giannis got bounced? 

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1

Don't get me wrong, MJ's HoF speech was cringe-worthy and off-putting as shit and left me saying, "Jesus Christ dude, let it go." I know I'm not alone in that. But that was the first time I realized his grudge-holding was THAT severe. Maybe if social media were around in his prime--with phones catching all of his off-color locker room remarks--people would have grasped his true pettiness sooner.

Michael Jordan could only dream of being even a quarter of the man and member of society that LeBron is. Michael Jordan is an absolute garbage person, and LeBron, even for his flaws and insecurities, is a good guy who is a net positive on our world. 

Jordan still better though.

I'm with @d2o on the debate about watchability. I think the bubble playoffs have been quite good and I've found myself watching more of them this year than an average year. I think it's a little wonky and there's some artificiality to some of the results (the game is missing momentum pretty badly), but I think it's been a great, fun product and it will produce a legit champion. I will watch these playoffs games over any NFL game not involving my team. And I actually think the NFL suffers far, far more for not having fans than the NBA does. I won't go as far as saying I like it better without fans, but I barely even notice. And there has been plenty of trash talk and chippiness going in these games which is what I was afraid would be missing without fans.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Lakers are doing a great job making Jokic and Murray work for every point in their 2-man game. If Denver is going to have a chance they need a third scorer to emerge. Not sure who that would be, maybe Harris, maybe MPJ. But the Lakers defense is just daring the Nuggets to beat them with anyone but Jokic/Murray.

10 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I thought he made a good point about Gasol winning DPOY but coming in second team all NBA defense....but yeah, it's an old debate at this point. We all know that certain guys could win certain awards every year but usually the media spends the year building a story and they have to go with that.

Edited by Pam Cummings

Anthony Davis's jumper is fools gold. He's got a really good stroke and that shot he hit the other night was unbelievable, but he bails Denver out on every possession that he doesn't step foot into the paint. I don't care how many he hits, I'd let him shoot until his arm falls off from outside 20 feet. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

No matter what happens in the end, these have been starmaking playoffs for Murray and Jokic. Not that they weren't both already well-regarded, but they've both put themselves into the "elite players" conversation. I've considered Denver to be playoffs fool's gold for awhile, but I'm sold. If they can keep the core together this is real contender for the next 5-8 years. They are talented and intelligent and crafty and mentally tough. I don't think you tinker with this team at all. Let them gain experience and maturity and cohesion and that's about it. 

I think in particular Murray is much better than I thought he was prior. He's a superstar.

Edited by BradInATX

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Do you have a link?

"LOL at the snowflakes that believe @KingJames could even last 10 seconds with me!" Covington said. "If that coward had the balls or the ability to kick anyone's ass, Delonte West would've lost his teeth long before his meth habit!"

https://www.insider.com/colby-covington-lebron-james-fight-insults-mother-2020-9

Following his win against Tyron Woodley at UFC Vegas 11 on Saturday, Covington said he was tired of "woke athletes" like the Los Angeles Lakers forward and called him a "spineless coward."

The American mixed martial artist, who has been vocal in his opposition to the Black Lives Matter movement, also tweeted last month that police officers had "the toughest job in America" and that James should quit playing a "kids game" if he really cared about racial inequality.

Though James did not respond to Covington's comments, Covington again came for the Lakers star on Monday, this time on Twitter.

Edited by Rougarou

7 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

"LOL at the snowflakes that believe @KingJames could even last 10 seconds with me!" Covington said. "If that coward had the balls or the ability to kick anyone's ass, Delonte West would've lost his teeth long before his meth habit!"

https://www.insider.com/colby-covington-lebron-james-fight-insults-mother-2020-9

Following his win against Tyron Woodley at UFC Vegas 11 on Saturday, Covington said he was tired of "woke athletes" like the Los Angeles Lakers forward and called him a "spineless coward."

The American mixed martial artist, who has been vocal in his opposition to the Black Lives Matter movement, also tweeted last month that police officers had "the toughest job in America" and that James should quit playing a "kids game" if he really cared about racial inequality.

Though James did not respond to Covington's comments, Covington again came for the Lakers star on Monday, this time on Twitter.

Thanks.  I always look to MMA fighters for political insight.  They are the best and brightest.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

Thanks.  I always look to MMA fighters for political insight.  They are the best and brightest.  

I agree with the sarcasm, who cares about nobody bare knuckle fighting rubes.

But this one had the best savage take-down line I've ever seen done so pithy and succinctly. It's beautiful and art.

1 minute ago, Rougarou said:

I agree with the sarcasm, who cares about nobody bare knuckle fighting rubes.

But this one had the best savage take-down line I've ever seen done so pithy and succinctly. It's beautiful and art.

I was really interested in the Delonte West aspect which is why I asked for a link.  But as far as insults you could sling at LBJ  involving Delonte West, I was left a little disappointed. 

I didn't get to see game two as I was doing stuff for my kid's birthday. But seeing this game and game 1, a few random thoughts:

- Lost in Murray's performance tonight will be Jerami Grant's and Monte Morris'. Denver has to get one or two big performances from someone besides Jokic/Murray per game to win. Those guys contributing was every bit as important as Murray going nuts in the last few minutes.

- Denver should win every time they out-rebound the Lakers like that. 

- Paul Millsap might be the worst player getting substantial starting minutes remaining in the playoffs. He is a huge negative on defense and isn't adding anything of note on offense. I guess he's a veteran presence on a young team but he's bad.

- I'm starting to wonder if Denver (not LAC) was the team I should have expected to slowly wear down opponents over a series as they make older/less well-conditioned teams run with them every two nights. Getting banged on by Jokic, chasing Murray around, etc. They've played better each game this series, following their theme of improving as series' go by in the bubble. I guess we'll see. Probably wishful thinking/reaching, but they've surprised me at every turn thus far.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I was really interested in the Delonte West aspect which is why I asked for a link.  But as far as insults you could sling at LBJ  involving Delonte West, I was left a little disappointed. 

I don't know, I think it was great because it was both a call-back to Delonte embarrassing and disrespecting Lebron with his own mom (yuck!) while also calling attention to the present-state Delonte, a man ransacked with drug addiction and mental illness that he lives on the street and has no teeth, and then makes two hilarious and haymaker points as subtext which are fully loaded in that sentence, which is to say that a) Lebron would get his butt kicked in a fight and b) This guy with no teeth is the caliber of man who your mom goes for. 

Just savage in my book.

All that said, Go Denver!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rougarou said:

I don't know, I think it was great because it was both a call-back to Delonte embarrassing and disrespecting Lebron with his own mom (yuck!) while also calling attention to the present-state Delonte, a man ransacked with drug addiction and mental illness that he lives on the street and has no teeth, and then makes two hilarious and haymaker points as subtext which are fully loaded in that sentence, which is to say that a) Lebron would get his butt kicked in a fight and b) This guy with no teeth is the caliber of man who your mom goes for. 

Just savage in my book.

All that said, Go Denver!

If Lebron fought a professional MMA fighter he would get his ass kicked.  That’s not exactly shocking.  I could work in a few Delonte jokes that don’t cross the line of making fun of someone who is clearly mentally ill.

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

They were up 18 5.5 min ago

The Lakers' comeback was completely engineered by the refs. It was 10x more egregious tonight than in the previous games. You had LeBron completely running over a guy to get a rebound with no call, Rondo throwing himself into Jokic to get to the foul line... Rondo only got those steals because the refs completely ignored the contact he was making, on one of them he literally held Murray's arm back so LeBron could collect the loose ball and on another one he straight-up threw an elbow into Paul Millsap. And then there was the worst one of all, Kuzma misses a layup and the refs waited for three extra seconds until the ball had rimmed out to call the foul.

It's hilarious how, a decade on after Donaghy's revelations, people still plug their ears and pretend referees don't try to influence the outcomes of games.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Why in the fuck would the NBA want the referees to engineer a sweep, and pretty much guarantee no interest or drama the rest of the way to crowning a champion?

You guys are too much.

They would send every series to 7. It makes no sense.

Look NBA officiating really sucks sometimes. It is often very biased towards stars, home teams, personal vendettas, etc. But the conspiracies are a little much given the context aggie laid out. Refs are people who are influenced by any number of things. And sometimes they get it wrong just because. It happens. 

As for the Donaghy stuff I would think the NBA likely much more closer monitors their officials than they used to largely because of those revelations.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1