Kitchen Knives

Coyote

I tell people to avoid knife sets altogether as they include 3 or 4 knives that you may never use.

Look at buying a good chef's knife, paring knife, bread knife and boning knife. Optionally, I also use a slicer for larger meats, a santoku and a longer thinner utility knife which can be serrated or not. Get a magnetic strip and mount it on the wall instead of having a block that takes up counter space and collects bacteria.

Sur La Table and Williams Sonoma carry a wide variety of brands that are all quality knives. They will get them out of the case and allow you to cut with them. Do this and try a few Asian style and European style knives to see what fits your hand best and if you prefer an 8" or 9" or 10" blade length.

If you want to spend less, get a Victorinox chef's knife or Mercer Genesis santoku that will run you $40 and will be solid for years.

Lots of people get Cutco knives or other household brands like Cuisinart or oxo and they probably work fine, but you won't enjoy them as much as a knife that you try out and select after handling it. I use a knife to prep food almost every day of my life, so it matters way more to me than most of my friends. If you don't like cooking or really hate chopping onions and the like, you may want to just go get a set of knives from Costco and call it a day.

• Like 4

I really like Misen. Online co. That started as a kickstarter I think. Not Japanese, but not German. $65 for the 8” chef’s knife and free sharpening for life. I now have their paring knife which is really a great “set” and all that you need to start with. They aren’t stainless and need to be taken care of but nothing like a Japanese carbon blade.

My in-laws got me the sauté pans for my bday.

https://www.misen.co/

• Like 1

My SIL is a chef and her favorites at home are her Shun and Global knives.  I've enjoyed using those when cooking over at their house, but my favorite knife is my Zwilling JA Henckels 7" Santoku knife.  I use it for just about everything, really don't even touch my chef's knife and rarely have a use for paring knives or boning knives so I've just got cheapie Cuisinart knives for those purposes.

Oh, and of course I use the heck out of my Ace Mart roast slicer, it's the shiznit for slicing brisket (and, presumably, roasts...).

"

Edited by utee94
  • Like 2

Personally I think it depends on how much you actually cook and what you cook.    I cook a lot so I have two cheap knives I bought at HEB when I became a bachelor that i grab first for mundane stuff like cutting fruit etc.  They work fine and I let the poors use them them.    They are fine but they definitely don't hold an edge as much so they need to be sharpened more.   I have a Henckel as well a bone cleaver I bought off of Amazon for $50 and a knife I bought in Japan for $100 that only myself and so far my son have been allowed to use.  Its harder to clean of course because its carbon steel and you have to dry it so you can't just stick in the sink.   I find myself going for the Japanese knife because its just a better quality knife and feels better in my hand and its so freaking sharp.   Even though it's bigger its half the weight of a german knife. 

2a35613f92d8db9311ec40d131d1ac59.jpge306b98d21a3bc0e1659d65b18d4db28.jpg

Edited by midtown

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I like Shun myself. That’s what I have in my kitchen. How about you Jimmie? 

Been using Shun for several years.  Love them. Bought a set (use every one) and added to it.  Best part is they have a giant brisket/roast knife I bought that is like a small machete.  Perfect for brisket

Edited by AustinMT

20 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Been using Shun for several years.  Love them. Bought a set (use every one) and added to it.  Best part is they have a giant brisket/roast knife I bought that is like a small machete.  Perfect for brisket

Interesting, didn’t know they had a brisket knife. I still want the Cleaver to complete my current set. I think the most useless knife I have is the Ultimate Utility. I really like Classic Utility and Fillet knife a lot. 

39 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Definitely Shun. A few years ago I bought the complete set of the Ken Onion special knives before they were discontinued. Absolutely the best kitchen knives ever made. 

6 hours ago, Coyote said:

Looking to pick up a set of quality kitchen knives. Suggestions? What should I be looking for/avoid?

I have several Shun knives and a JA Henckels set.  All solid knives.  Now I’m coveting one of these.  Tomorrow is Father’s Day so perhaps it will arrive. 

2-F329-CD4-A50-F-4-F17-AA75-43887-EE43-F

I agree with not buying a set. We got a set of Henckels for our wedding in 2002 and I’ve never been impressed with them. Had them sharpened a few times and they just never seem very sharp to me.

I have a Wusthof carving set that I love and a Shun that is totally bad ass. I should get rid of the Henckels and just add a couple more Shuns.

8 hours ago, utee94 said:

A friend of mine sold Cutco knives as a summer job during college.  I'm actually not sure he ever SOLD any, though.

I got a set of Cutco knives as a gift.  They are incredibly sharp.  Are holyup well, but frankly they get less use than they should because they are so fucking sharp the risk of collateral damage if you are at all careless is high. 

I buy individual Mercer knives at Ace-Mart Restaurant Supply and they're always great.  Recently I went there to pick up a boning knife and they were out of the Mercers, so I bought the house brand instead.

Holy crap that thing is sharp.  I'm not sure how long it will last but out of the box it's fantastic.  Cost probably $25 or so.

• Like 1

I have a set of Global knives that I bought piece by piece.  They are the knives that I use.  Additionally, I have a block of J.A. Henkels which we had before getting the Globals.  Now, they are the knives that the wife and kids use.  Get a good set of knives, but keep your old knives for those that shouldn't be allowed to use the good ones.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, elfenix said:

the actual answer is victorinox fibrox handle stuff

(how is this the second time i've answered this same thread today?)

This is the correct answer.  While you're picking out knives get a wall magnet that suits your kitchen decor - don't over complicate this.

• Like 2

if you want a quality knife, get something forged, with a full tang.  could be hundreds of brands - get whichever has the ergonomics you prefer.

if you dont want to think about it and just want a good performing knife without spending lots of money, the victorinox are good value.

how sharp something is or can be is a matter of sharpening and maintenance.  a 200$ knife will go to shit if you mistreat it.

I went to Victorinox for all my knives about 6 years ago and they have been great. Tossed my Shuns as a result. They hold an edge better than any of the expensive brands and can be abused at the price point. I throw them in the dishwasher on occasion when I’m lazy and they are still perfect.

9 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Shun for performance, but they are delicate. 

Japanese knives are for slicing.  German knives are for chopping.  Japanese knives will chip if used for chopping and heavier duty work.  They're made of harder steel and are thinner and thus more brittle.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I went to Victorinox for all my knives about 6 years ago and they have been great. Tossed my Shuns as a result. They hold an edge better than any of the expensive brands and can be abused at the price point. I throw them in the dishwasher on occasion when I’m lazy and they are still perfect.

We got a Victorinox to travel with so I don't have to lug a wood cutting board when we are cooking at friends or on trips.  I think it's probably just as sharp as my Shuns.  Great knife.

Edited by kevwun

1 minute ago, VABuckeye said:

Japanese knives are for slicing.  German knives are for chopping.  Japanese knives will chip if used for chopping and heavier duty work.  They're made of harder steel and are thinner and thus more brittle.

Yep.  If you are kind of a klutz, odds are pretty decent you're going to chip a Japanese knife.

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

We got a Victorinox to travel with so I don't have to lug a wood cutting board when we are cooking at friends or on trips.  I think it's probably just as sharp as my Shuns.  Great knife.

I assume the steel is SAKs usual Sandvik 12C27-type steel.  It's pretty pretty good in a SAK, but damn near perfect for a kitchen knife.  Highly corrosion resistant, decent edge retention, and easy, easy to get sharp, sharp (jatchoff jatchoff fast fast).

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

if you want a quality knife, get something forged, with a full tang.  could be hundreds of brands - get whichever has the ergonomics you prefer.

if you dont want to think about it and just want a good performing knife without spending lots of money, the victorinox are good value.

how sharp something is or can be is a matter of sharpening and maintenance.  a 200$ knife will go to shit if you mistreat it.

Absolutely go handle knives before buying and pick the one that feels like the most natural extension of your hand. 

I will second Forschner Victorinox with fibrox handles as the best value in knives.

I'd also recommend learning to use a Santuko. I went thru culinary school back in the 80s and have bad carpal tunnel from decades of chopping/cleaving with a 10" French chef knife and had to learn how to slice, instead of chop, with a Santuko in my 50s as I'd be in bad pain within a few minutes of chopping with a French chef knife. Slicing is much easier on your joints.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

Yep.  Learned that lesson the hard way.  Just trying to spare someone else the same misfortune.

I think 99% of people don't need a full set of expensive knives. I bought one very quality versatile chef knife for occasions that require special care and otherwise just use a set of cheap miracle blade knives off Amazon that I've had for 14 years and somehow with never sharpening and tons of dishwasher abuse are still plenty sharp enough for the vast majority of cooking uses. Those cheap bastards are the toughest knives I've ever used. 

Edited by Junior Miller

I have a pretty expensive shun Damascus “western chef” that doesn’t hold an edge all that great nor does the handle really fit my hand well. I have a set of some cheap ass “culinary institute of America” branded knives that I use all the time and get the job done. I’m over the “expensive chef knife” deal.  

15 hours ago, elfenix said:

the actual answer is victorinox fibrox handle stuff

(how is this the second time i've answered this same thread today?)

Amazon just delivered a Victorinox fibrox 8 inch chef's knife for 30 bucks. 

The Victorinox/Forscher knices actually have a line with rosewood (?) Handles, which i prefer to plastic Fibrox.  They used to be the same price too, but I think with popularity it's gone up to 50-70 or so for the standard 8" chef, which is no longer a value buy

44 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

The Victorinox/Forscher knices actually have a line with rosewood (?) Handles, which i prefer to plastic Fibrox.  They used to be the same price too, but I think with popularity it's gone up to 50-70 or so for the standard 8" chef, which is no longer a value buy

Rosewood is what has gone up. I own both rosewood and Fibrox an prefer how much easier it is to clean/sanitize Fribrox.

3 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

I think 99% of people don't need a full set of expensive knives.

Agreed 100%.   You don't even really need an expensive knife at all.  It's just a luxury.  I would never buy a $100 knife if it weren't for the fact that I was in a store in Tokyo where the blade-smith was in the store sharpening and polishing what he had forged and actually wrapped up the knife.  I liked the story.

So for the knife uneducated what is easiest way to sharpen after edge is gone. I know the steel to keep an edge but wondering if there is a quick and easy sharpening tool?

I’m sure the knife needs will balk at this but it works great.

Chef'sChoice 130 Professional Electric Knife Sharpening Station for Straight and Serrated Knives Diamond Abrasives and Precision Angle Guides Made in USA, 3-Stages, Platinum https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CSK0DM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_8oVbDb3TK8K1B

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shaddie said:

So for the knife uneducated what is easiest way to sharpen after edge is gone. I know the steel to keep an edge but wondering if there is a quick and easy sharpening tool?

Bring it to whole foods or Central market twice a year