Kitchen Knives

Coyote

• 7 months later...

Starting to build a small set, and bought a knife roll to distinguish "Dad's Knives" from the Henckell's set in a block we got as a wedding present, and which I will keep sharp for the wife and kids to use. 

Have had a slicer 7" boning knife from Dexter-Russel for brisket work for a while.  Got the Vic 8" Chef's knife with the rosewood handle and a nice heavyish meat cleaver for use on things with bones. 

For starters, the handle on the Vic stinks like an old horse blanket.  Hit it with some acetone and an oxyclean soak before letting it dry overnight and re-oiling the handle the next morning with some cutting board oil (mineral oil and beeswax).  That knocked down the Indian rosewood stank to a tolerable level and, hopefully, time will take care of the rest.

1356484_s.jpg?sw=1350&sh=1000&sm=fit

c2082391f9434f4c880417a5f8f4588a.jpg

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 8 months later...

The Ken Onion Worksharp sharpener is on sale at Amazon. This is a great sharpener, possibly the best choice for most users, and very versatile. The Ken Onion version adds the setting to do 15' Asian angle knives. I've used the non-Onion 20' version for years, and at my last few gun shows, there were multiple tables offering sharpening services where they were using these. Highly recommended, I ordered a couple already:

https://slickdeals.net/f/14474126-work-sharp-knife-tool-sharpener-ken-onion-edition-81-09?src=frontpage

3 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

The Ken Onion Worksharp sharpener is on sale at Amazon. This is a great sharpener, possibly the best choice for most users, and very versatile. The Ken Onion version adds the setting to do 15' Asian angle knives. I've used the non-Onion 20' version for years, and at my last few gun shows, there were multiple tables offering sharpening services where they were using these. Highly recommended, I ordered a couple already:

https://slickdeals.net/f/14474126-work-sharp-knife-tool-sharpener-ken-onion-edition-81-09?src=frontpage

holy hell that thing looks overkill.  the kind of stuff my wife would love in our kitchen.  (or i would have to hide in my workshop/office)

• 1 year later...

I’m trying to find a good way to engrave chef’s knife for my dad’s upcoming 70th/retirement. Anyone ever done something like this? I’d like to engrave a phrase, rather than just initials, and would like it to not just be some lame basic font. Anyone know of a way to do this? I seem to be striking out on google so far but maybe this idea just ain’t it. 

6 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

I’m trying to find a good way to engrave chef’s knife for my dad’s upcoming 70th/retirement. Anyone ever done something like this? I’d like to engrave a phrase, rather than just initials, and would like it to not just be some lame basic font. Anyone know of a way to do this? I seem to be striking out on google so far but maybe this idea just ain’t it. 

Like this?  It's done in Comic Sans and everything. :)

_uV3nGIKzNfgDhPligmXBqdIFkPTHigQ_Hbsy0tG

• Haha 1

Take it to a local trophy/plaque shop or one of the places that does gift stuff engraved, and pay them to put it in their engraver or laser marker. Depending how fancy you want to get with the graphic, you might want to have it designed by a pro and saved in vector art format like .ai to feed into a laser. An engraver will be more limited in fonts and designs.

I'd also suggest you look at FB groups for Glowforge and Epilog (and other popular laser markers), and just search or post and ask each group if there is someone local to you with a laser, and ask if they'd be willing to mark something for you for money/beer. Most enthusiasts will gladly help you out for a little cash.

Ideas for what you can do:

https://www.epiloglaser.com/resources/sample-club.htm

• Hook 'Em 1