United Airlines sucks

Hope you got out.  They were showing people on the news this morning that were stranded in the airport all night.
Yeah. Got home around midnight. Still pretty hacked off. I wonder how much of this was due to a lack of ground staff to handle everything needing to happen at once. My anger is because it seemed like they were completely unprepared. It's Houston. This shit happens in the summer.

I hate having to fly United and lately, it seems like every flight is oversold and “completely booked”. Can’t we go back to the days of some airline inefficiency where you’d luck into having an open seat next to you? Damn, I miss that. 

57 minutes ago, gaspar said:

I hate having to fly United and lately, it seems like every flight is oversold and “completely booked”. Can’t we go back to the days of some airline inefficiency where you’d luck into having an open seat next to you? Damn, I miss that. 

Not United, but I had a recent flight delayed because a passenger made a last-minute decision to not take the trip and they had to unload his luggage. Was a fully booked flight, 13hr duration - he was apparently the seat next to me. Score, best delay ever.

On 6/16/2019 at 9:31 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Water is wet. Sitting on the tarmac after landing at IAH for 2+ hours now.

Yes, there was weather, but it was virtually over when we landed. At this point, just bring some fucking stairs and let us deplane the old fashioned way.

That weather completely fucked flight ops in IAH on Sunday.  My flight from Vegas to Denver came to Vegas from Houston.  They were 4 hours late because they sat on the ramp, unable to take off due to a ground stop.  Sounds like shortly after they got out of there, there was another ground stop.

Can't really blame United for this one.

12 hours ago, RollLeft said:

United, American, Delta and Southwest.  Rank em and why.

Jt method or Randy method? 

United sucks above all others. I fly them in and out of Chicago pretty often and can pretty well plan on any mid afternoon flight or later being delayed. Definitely skip the 9 pm flights. Of course it seems to be more prevalent across all of them. I fly whatever I can get direct, so I’ve had delayed United, Southwest, and Delta flights in the last month.

21 hours ago, G650 said:

As a former GS, I vehemently disagree.

"former" is the operative word.  I dread the day I lose that status.

I sweatergaurd they have implanted a chip in me.  Yesterday's boarding in Munich was developing into a massive cluster because passengers are, for the most part, idiots.  The GS rep at the gate somehow ID'd me as GS, walked over and asked me if I would like to board before they started the process.  She somehow found 2 other GS's as well.  I was relaxing on the plane a good 15 mins chatting up the FAs before anyone else boarded.

Over the last year or so I have been pleased with United. I really like how the app sends you a notification when boarding has started. No more leaving the lounge to find out boarding won't begin for another ten minutes. 

At first, I wasn't sure I trusted the notifications but the past dozen or so times it has been accurate. 

These last few weather events at IAH have wreaked havoc with the ground stops. I was on a United Express flight to ECP, and we were stuck at the gate for two hours before the halt was lifted. The crew was going to time out in 15, but the pilot got assurance he would be #2 or 3 off the line, and we made it. 

Weather sucks.

I can play this game too. I’ve flown IAH-SJO round trip well over 100 times on United. Maybe had 5 delays and only one was much over an hour. I’ve flown HOU-SJO about 5 times on Southwest. One of those times the Houston airport got closed and Southwest couldn’t get me out of there for 2 days.

Southwest sucks.

• 1 year later...

In a nightmare scenario with these fuckfaces.  Canceled my flight with no notification.  Now imposing apparent rules that are inconsistent with timatic/gov regulations, possibly preventing me from flying, possibly fucking up entire reservation.  Have to wait 30 minutes to speak to someone.  Les Incompetents.

22 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

In a nightmare scenario with these fuckfaces.  Canceled my flight with no notification.  Now imposing apparent rules that are inconsistent with timatic/gov regulations, possibly preventing me from flying, possibly fucking up entire reservation.  Have to wait 30 minutes to speak to someone.  Les Incompetents.

tring to get a refund from them for coronatime reasons when i was due a refund under their own united-friendly policies was an exercise in patience and restraint.  i was beyond united's OG 6 hour window even before accounting for time zones, and well outside of it going eastern-central. 

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Has United's revised boarding process affected your decision to fly with them? I'm an aisle guy who mainly only cares about non-stops and departure/arrival times and am pretty agnostics about airlines, as long as it's not Frontier, Spirit, and Allegiant. I fly about 8-10 times a year. I've basically stopped looking at United for flights since the decision.

30 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Has United's revised boarding process affected your decision to fly with them? I'm an aisle guy who mainly only cares about non-stops and departure/arrival times and am pretty agnostics about airlines, as long as it's not Frontier, Spirit, and Allegiant. I fly about 8-10 times a year. I've basically stopped looking at United for flights since the decision.

No, but I pay to sit up front so the new policy does not affect me.  Being in Denver, I don't have a lot of good options for nonstop flights if I take United out of the equation.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Has United's revised boarding process for poors affected your decision to fly with them? I'm an aisle guy who mainly only cares about non-stops and departure/arrival times and am pretty agnostics about airlines, as long as it's not Frontier, Spirit, and Allegiant. I fly about 8-10 times a year. I've basically stopped looking at United for flights since the decision.

FIFY

I fly almost exclusively United now unless I have to go somewhere they don't go.  10x per year would likely get you pretty close to some type of status which I've found to be extremely advantagous.  I'm sliver now and have been upgraded to first 5x this year and of course group 2 to avoid the above.  I'll hit gold in a few weeks after a mileage run.  They have put a lot of investment in their tech and app.  Also upgrading their fleet.  United made the most sense for me since Delta is known to have a pretty terrible miles program and AA is going into the toilet.  Plus flying through Houston works really well for me since I do a lot of South and Central America trips.  United is the only lounge in San Antonio so that was also a bonus.

I am very glad to be not flying United.  Since most of my travel is international, I stick to BA, which allows me a ton of flexibility.  I have not sat in coach on an international flight in years.  Having my home airport be NYC helps keep fares way lower than they would be if I were back in Texas.  That helps a lot.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2023 at 3:28 PM, crash_davis said:

No, I am basically only sensitive to schedule and price, in that order. I live in Houston and United/Southwest are typically the only two competitive options on that front unless I am going to someone else's hub.

For what it's worth I've had pretty solid experience with United the past couple years. Prior to that Delta had been the best airline in my experience but United seems to be competing to be the least shitty. Knock on wood as I have a couple bookings with them early next year.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

Knocking on wood. United has been very smooth lately. I fly United almost every week either IAH-MSY, IAH-McAllen/Harlingen, IAH-SHV. With a quarterly trip out to Orange County.

I look forward to the day that the construction shit show at IAH wraps up.

terminal B rebuild laughs at your anticipation