What are your favorite movie quotes?

XYZ

Guest Lobo
Just now, henrygandorf said:

i know you're a big comedy/comedians guy, but nice to see you're a mamet fan too.  not sure if you're into his other stuff, but state and main, house of games, and spanish prisoner are among my favorites (that he's written and directed).

whenever i'm stuck on anything i'm writing, i put on mamet, simon, goldman, sorkin to get me going.  they're all represented on this thread, 3/4 on this page.

You're scratching me right where I itch.  I've loved Mamet since I was a high schooler in Chicago (where he cut his teeth).  I know you're big on the writing process so I always assumed you love Mamet.  I know you've got no shortage of folks to connect with in Los Angeles, but whenever you're back in Austin...let me connect you with the Mamet archivist/scholar expert on his collections at the Ransom Center.  Most of it's over my head, but I think you'd appreciate it of all people.    

csb/humblebrag/pissoffdrbeeper/whatever...one of my favorite UT memories isn't football or girls, it was when I got to hang out and have drinks with Mamet and Bill Powers when the HRC was acquiring his archives.  He did a screenwriting talk (basically it was him drunkenly insulting the Stanislofsky method as a crutch for actors to cover for shitty writing), but then we screened "The Spanish Prisoner" with him and several RTF students, and then went back to the HRC to get 'faced.  His voice and cadence and vocabulary are a dead ringer for my late father, so obviously I'm biased towards him, and when I met him I finally realized what drew me to his films/plays, it seemed like something my dad would have written had he gone another way in life. 

Anyway, I could talk about him with you for hours.  last anecdote is a prominent Texas politician made a brief appearance in his movie, "Things Change."  She's now running for a seat against a friend of mine.  I was tempted to tell his campaign about what I learned about her days in Hollywood as oppo-research.  But I learned one of her sons is named after my dad's favorite Chicago Cub growing up.  And the only thing I've ever written that's been published is an essay on baseball that's in larger book of baseball essays that's in Cooperstown.  So  I took that as a very weird sign from the universe to stay out of the matter.  the signs you see when you're stuck at home under quarantine.  

All that to say, I'm sure you've read "Bambi v. Godzilla"/?? 

23 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You're scratching me right where I itch.  I've loved Mamet since I was a high schooler in Chicago (where he cut his teeth).  I know you're big on the writing process so I always assumed you love Mamet.  I know you've got no shortage of folks to connect with in Los Angeles, but whenever you're back in Austin...let me connect you with the Mamet archivist/scholar expert on his collections at the Ransom Center.  Most of it's over my head, but I think you'd appreciate it of all people.    

csb/humblebrag/pissoffdrbeeper/whatever...one of my favorite UT memories isn't football or girls, it was when I got to hang out and have drinks with Mamet and Bill Powers when the HRC was acquiring his archives.  He did a screenwriting talk (basically it was him drunkenly insulting the Stanislofsky method as a crutch for actors to cover for shitty writing), but then we screened "The Spanish Prisoner" with him and several RTF students, and then went back to the HRC to get 'faced.  His voice and cadence and vocabulary are a dead ringer for my late father, so obviously I'm biased towards him, and when I met him I finally realized what drew me to his films/plays, it seemed like something my dad would have written had he gone another way in life. 

Anyway, I could talk about him with you for hours.  last anecdote is a prominent Texas politician made a brief appearance in his movie, "Things Change."  She's now running for a seat against a friend of mine.  I was tempted to tell his campaign about what I learned about her days in Hollywood as oppo-research.  But I learned one of her sons is named after my dad's favorite Chicago Cub growing up.  And the only thing I've ever written that's been published is an essay on baseball that's in larger book of baseball essays that's in Cooperstown.  So  I took that as a very weird sign from the universe to stay out of the matter.  the signs you see when you're stuck at home under quarantine.  

All that to say, I'm sure you've read "Bambi v. Godzilla"/?? 

good stuff.  and yes, i have bambi along with a few of his compiled books of plays.  his and lonergans are pretty much the only books of plays i've taken time to roll through, as often the "unproduced" work is unproduced for a reason.  goldman is still my favorite as far as his "books about the business" and i think they crossover well to people who aren't really interested in the business side of writing.  it's just enjoyable reading.

i saw a screening of house of games at the new beverly cinema (the small theater that tarantino owns) about 5-6 years ago, and joe mantegna and ricky jay did a q&a afterwards.  most of the conversation was about mamet, his process, his habits, his style.  one story i remember is that mantegna said it was common knowledge with mamet scripts, that you don't improvise, you don't change words around, you don't even assume pauses, breaks, beats, or commas.  he writes it like he wants it, and will know immediately if something is out of rhythm.

mantegna also played ricky roma for years on stage to much acclaim, but back to that in a sec.  he said he was one of the only people to successfully lobby for and actually win a battle to change "a word".  in house of games, there's a line where he says, "don't trust anybody", and joe thought "don't trust nobody" would sound better from his character.  after a few days, mamet gave in, and let him change one word.  30 years later, he's still telling stories about it.  but as for ricky roma, they were doing glengarry somewhere in ny or chicago, and after the play, mamet came backstage to talk to mantegna, and basically said, "joe, they're gonna do the movie, and before you start, you didn't get it, we got pacino, but you were great tonight."

I dont care if I've said this before or not but it's that time of the year when I get a little fucking out of sorts.

My girls KNOW when I say "Talk to me, Goose" that I'm dead serious and I want them to be open and frank with me.  It's not just a movie line.  It's Dad saying "I love you and I'm here for you." 

" Now tomorrow when your recruits start to whine and bellyache, you tell them that a hundred and eighty five of their friends, neighbors, and fellow Texicans are holed up in a crumbling adobe church down on the Rio Bravo buying them this precious time. I hope they remember. I hope Texas remembers" ~ Richard Boone as Sam Houston in The Alamo

• Like 1

Dear Red,
If you're reading this, you've gotten out. And if you've come this far, maybe you're willing to come a little further. You remember the name of the town, don't you? I could use a good man to help me get my project on wheels. I'll keep an eye out for you and the chessboard ready. Remember, Red. Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies. I will be hoping that this letter finds you, and finds you well.
Your friend
Andy

• Like 1

Get busy living or get busy dying. That’s goddamn right! For the second time in my life I’m guilty of committing a crime. Parole violation. Of course, I doubt they’ll toss up any roadblocks for that. Not for an old crook like me.I find I'm so excited I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel. A free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

But tell the Dauphin I will keep my state, be like a King, and show my sail of greatness when I do rouse me in my throne of France!

And tell the pleasant Prince this mock of his hath turned his balls to gun-stones, and his soul shall stand sore charged for the wasteful vengeance which shall fly with them.  For many a thousand widows shall this, his mock, mock out of their dear husbands, mock mothers from their sons, mock castles down, and some are yet ungotten and unborn that shall have cause to curse the Dauphin's scorn.

So get ye hence in peace. And tell the Dauphin his jest will savor but of shallow wit,  when thousands weep more than did laugh at it.

• Bane: Home, where I learned the truth about despair, as will you. There's a reason why this prison is the worst hell on earth. Hope. Every man who has ventured here over the centuries has looked up to the light and imagined climbing to freedom. So easy. So simple. And like shipwrecked men turning to sea water from uncontrollable thirst, many have died trying. I learned here that there can be no true despair without hope. So, as I terrorize Gotham, I will feed its people hope to poison their souls. I will let them believe they can survive so that you can watch them clamoring over each other to stay in the sun. You can watch me torture an entire city and when you have truly understood the depth of your failure, we will fulfill Ra's al Ghul's destiny... We will destroy Gotham and then, when it is done and Gotham is ashes, then you have my permission to die.

Now nearly all those I loved and did not understand in my youth are dead. Even Jessie. But I still reach out to them. Of course, now I'm too old to be much of a fisherman. And now I usually fish the big waters alone... although some friends think I shouldn't. But when I am alone in the half-light of the canyon... all existence seems to fade to a being with my soul and memories... and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm... and the hope that a fish will rise. Eventually, all things merge into one... and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood... and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words... and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.

• Like 4

Double feature on TCM:

Dodsworth:  Have you thought how little happiness there can be for the old wife of a young husband?  Kurt! Your mother's leaving.

Philadelphia Society:  

What most wives fail to realize is that their husbands philandering has nothing whatever to do with them.
Then what has it to do with?
A reluctance to grow old, I think. 

Perhaps they need a good talking to, if you don't mind my saying so. Perhaps a bit more. My girls, sir, they didn't care for the Overlook at first. One of them actually stole a pack of matches, and tried to burn it down. But I "corrected" them sir. And when my wife tried to prevent me from doing my duty, I "corrected" her.

• 8 months later...

"Fat man in a little coat..."

"Who said that? Who's the twinkle-toed cocksucker that just signed his own death warrant?"

"Why, Johnny Ringo. You look like somebody just walked over your grave."

"Atta boy, Luther!"

"Today, I settled all the family business."

"Now go home and get your fucking shine box."

"Ah, but the strawberries...that's where I had them!"

"Nothing's too good for the man that shot Liberty Valance."

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Shit Nee-gro! That’s all you had to say!

Well I’m a mushroom cloud layin motherfucker, motherfucker! Every time my fingers touch brain I’m Superfly TNT; I’m the Guns of Navarone!

Hey Hanrahan! Hanrahan! Suzanne sucks pussy!

They brought their fuckin TOYS with them!

Sex and golf are the two things you don’t have to be good at to enjoy.

In Sicily, women are more dangerous than shotguns

Will the dancing Hitlers wait in the wings? We’re only seeing singing Hitlers.

What knockers!