Who's going to be the first one banned from Surly?

What's the general consensus on individuals who create socks to neg rep someone's posts? I really haven't said anything controversial and try to only comment on topics I feel I can add something beneficial, yet one dude (I assume) has used 2 different accounts to neg every single post he can. I wouldn't mind if I had a ton of pos rep, but now it makes it look like I'm some troll. Is the consensus that they're idiots and we should just ignore them or is there a reasonable step beyond that?

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Whitman said:

I +'ed you to get you back to even.

PS:  Is your name here because of your love for bluegrass or lube?

Thanks. Haha, I honestly never thought of the connection, but it's because I live in KY. UT grad, married a KY girl.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, VRHorn said:

Purg (previously Atilla) has been around Longhorn boards for 20 years. I don't think he's JimTom, but I do think he's insane.

Actually Purg and Atilla are different posters.  Atilla was/is a psychiatrist up in New Hampshire or someplace in the northeast.  Purg lived here in Austin and moved to California a few years ago - a few of us met him at a couple of tailgates.  They did both have similar posting styles at times though.

2 hours ago, KYHorn said:

What's the general consensus on individuals who create socks to neg rep someone's posts? I really haven't said anything controversial and try to only comment on topics I feel I can add something beneficial, yet one dude (I assume) has used 2 different accounts to neg every single post he can. I wouldn't mind if I had a ton of pos rep, but now it makes it look like I'm some troll. Is the consensus that they're idiots and we should just ignore them or is there a reasonable step beyond that?

Make it 3 different accounts. What a child.

5 minutes ago, NastyDreams said:

What is a sock? (other than the obvious)

It's an account that's used as a fake user, usually to do or say things that would get them in trouble or banned using their main account. 

• Like 1

We need to crowd source Angry Homer. He’s a shit-talking, professional troll from Oklahoma who brings CR bullshit into sports threads and constantly starts fights and then says, “Ooh, you longhorns are so sensitive.” Fuck you. He can be crowd sourced by the end of the day if enough people get him. Trust me, he sucks.

16 hours ago, KYHorn said:

It's an account that's used as a fake user, usually to do or say things that would get them in trouble or banned using their main account. 

I've + repped you to get you back up but apparently my epeen is weak, as I saw no change on your rep.

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

We need to crowd source Angry Homer. He’s a shit-talking, professional troll from Oklahoma who brings CR bullshit into sports threads and constantly starts fights and then says, “Ooh, you longhorns are so sensitive.” Fuck you. He can be crowd sourced by the end of the day if enough people get him. Trust me, he sucks.

links?

8 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I've + repped you to get you back up but apparently my epeen is weak, as I saw no change on your rep.

Thanks. Not totally sure how the rep works here (if higher repped people have more power, etc)

Typically the way it worked at the other site, but not sure where the "power" breaks are here rep and post count wise.  Or it may just take a while to show up as I noticed you're positive again, although that might be due to another poster. 

27 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Lulz, yeah Boner Homer just gave me a retaliatory neg.

21 hours ago, KYHorn said:

sock and the poster should get banned.

17 hours ago, NastyDreams said:

What is a sock? (other than the obvious)

17 hours ago, KYHorn said:

also, it's short for sock puppet.  probably the sock used to jerk off into. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SHOOTER12 said:

... Or it may just take a while to show up as I noticed you're positive again, although that might be due to another poster. 

Rep button is powered by AJAX.  Rep points are saved to database, but aren't automagically updated on the page that you are already viewing.  If you refresh/reload the page after repping someone, you will see the correct rep totals next to all the recipient's posts after the page refreshes.

39 minutes ago, bernorange said:

Rep button is powered by AJAX.  Rep points are saved to database, but aren't automagically updated on the page that you are already viewing.  If you refresh/reload the page after repping someone, you will see the correct rep totals next to all the recipient's posts after the page refreshes.

Thanks for the info bern...

WTF with adults acting like Jr. High kids? JFC these people need to show a little self respect for themselves and the family that they represent.

I would truly be flabbergasted to find out that my old man was completely consumed with trolling the internet. The unmitigated immaturity is astounding.

6 hours ago, Texas_Rocks said:

The unmitigated immaturity is astounding.

Absolutely agree.  This place (and it's predecessor) is not about unmitigated immaturity, but selective immaturity with a dose of misogyny and an occasional cat meme thrown in.

Yeah, but that political forum is full of crazy assholes. I've pretty much stayed out of there except for maybe a dozen scattered posts since this board began.

A couple of hours ago  I made fun of what a useless endeavor it was to be a partisan these days, and by gawd those idiots went nuts - I've gotten 16 or 17 "notifications popping up with their righteous indignation. Bunch of idiots wasting their time to flame me - I'm not going to read any of their crap.

Now I see why the majority of Shaggy avoided the CR like the festering cesspool it was. The Surly CR isn't any better or more enlightening and will solve about the same amount of problems as the other one.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Yeah, but that political forum is full of crazy assholes. I've pretty much stayed out of there except for maybe a dozen scattered posts since this board began.

A couple of hours ago  I made fun of what a useless endeavor it was to be a partisan these days, and by gawd those idiots went nuts - I've gotten 16 or 17 "notifications popping up with their righteous indignation. Bunch of idiots wasting their time to flame me - I'm not going to read any of their crap.

Now I see why the majority of Shaggy avoided the CR like the festering cesspool it was. The Surly CR isn't any better or more enlightening and will solve about the same amount of problems as the other one.

Though I didn't message or rep you, for my part I'm sorry that I am sometimes less civil in the political forum than I would be in person.  That is not a good thing for any of us.  I'll try harder to be the change I want to see.

I hope that you keep an open mind and evaluate evidence as it is presented.  Country over party.

Edited by Degenerate Gardner