Who's going to be the first one banned from Surly?

8 hours ago, immamac said:

Politics board is real shitty, at least it's not the off-season where it's even worse. 

The politics board is what you make of it.  Don’t like the discourse?  Maybe work to improve it?  Bring your best contributions to the table and see how it shakes out.

Is there a risk you will get ridiculed, mocked, and negged?  Sure, but how you handle it says more about you than the ones doing the mocking. 

It’s not a safe space and that’s what makes it better than most.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The politics board is what you make of it.  Don’t like the discourse?  Maybe work to improve it?  Bring your best contributions to the table and see how it shakes out.

Is there a risk you will get ridiculed, mocked, and negged?  Sure, but how you handle it says more about you than the ones doing the mocking. 

Yes, Texags for the left

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Shut the fuck up Hugo. 

You and a group of other folks in the cloak room are simply not self aware of your over-the-top biases that you constantly use to mock and belittle other posters.

A bunch of them deserve it, but the problem is that you are all so biased that there is no room whatsoever for intelligent, reasonable discussion with others who hold a different view on an issue.

Of course, there are just as many extremists on the other side, but they don’t run the politics board. It’s unfortunate because most of the bully team appear to be reasonably intelligent - just brainwashed.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

You and a group of other folks in the cloak room are simply not self aware of your over-the-top biases that you constantly use to mock and belittle other posters.

A bunch of them deserve it, but the problem is that you are all so biased that there is no room whatsoever for intelligent, reasonable discussion with others who hold a different view on an issue.

Of course, there are just as many extremists on the other side, but they don’t run the politics board. It’s unfortunate because most of the bully team appear to be reasonably intelligent - just brainwashed.

I can’t speak for everyone else but I do go out of my way not to mock or belittle other posters.

I wish we had more opposing viewpoints with people who could reasonably defend their positions with thoughtful analysis. 

The last thing I want is an echo chamber.

But when the opposing viewpoints are openly racist and rooted in disingenuous talking points that ignore reality, it’s going to get called out.

Be best.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

13 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I can’t speak for everyone else but I do go out of my way not to mock or belittle other posters.

I wish we had more opposing viewpoints with people who could reasonably defend their positions with thoughtful analysis. 

The last thing I want is an echo chamber.

But when the opposing viewpoints are openly racist and rooted in disingenuous talking points that ignore reality, it’s going to get called out.

Be best.

Of course you can, just log out and log back in to one of your other accounts here and do it.  

Edited by Moby Ric
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

You go out of your way not to throw around the word "Nazi" every few hours?  Wow, would hate to see you with no filter.  

On 10/17/2018 at 5:40 PM, Dbeasy said:

That happens in more places than just the cloak room.

10 hours ago, tjhooker said:

I dove into the CR for the 1st time today.  Holy fuck it is a huge echo chamber.  You really see little contrary viewpoints.  I went through the threads.  There is very little.  

same as the football board. both are equally pathetic. after we'd lost to maryland and struggled against tulsa, the tone on the football board was so overwhelmingly negative that anyone who tried to post anything positive was summarily shouted down. hell, i posted a video of that thunderous pj locke hit vs tulsa and the replies were literally "who gives a shit", followed by a bunch of people talking mad shit about our shitty team not being able to recover the fumble, and how fucking terrible we were in general.

but now, less than two months later, now that texas is in the top 10 and everyone is back on our nuts, every time someone even hints that texas might lose to osu (or anyone else) they get met with "you sound like a fucking pussy, fuck that shit, we ain't losing, get on board or go fuck yourself", followed by a massive circle jerk of pos rep to whoever said that. i've seen that exact scenario (or something very similar) play out over and over the last couple of weeks. 

same team, same players, same coaches, same damn posters, but the rules on what's allowed to be posted have done a 180. completely fucking stupid. it has to be all one way or the other. if texas looks bad, you'd better shit all over them or don't even bother showing up to post. if a few weeks later texas looks good however, then don't even hint that we might lose or you're just a pussy who needs to grow a sack and stfu. just a bastion for civil, intellectual discourse.

that's why i'm thankful that baseball (and to a lesser extent basketball) is a niche sport around here. the baseball board is brilliant, and the basketball board, although it does have its share of kerfuffles, certainly allows for more varied and nuanced discussion than the football board or the cloak room, which don't allow any original thought or discussion at all. echo chambers indeed.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

same as the football board. both are equally pathetic. after we'd lost to maryland and struggled against tulsa, the tone on the football board was so overwhelmingly negative that anyone who tried to post anything positive was summarily shouted down. hell, i posted a video of that thunderous pj locke hit vs tulsa and the replies were literally "who gives a shit", followed by a bunch of people talking mad shit about our shitty team not being able to recover the fumble, and how fucking terrible we were in general.

but now, less than two months later, now that texas is in the top 10 and everyone is back on our nuts, every time someone even hints that texas might lose to osu (or anyone else) they get met with "you sound like a fucking pussy, fuck that shit, we ain't losing, get on board or go fuck yourself", followed by a massive circle jerk of pos rep to whoever said that. i've seen that exact scenario (or something very similar) play out over and over the last couple of weeks. 

same team, same players, same coaches, same damn posters, but the rules on what's allowed to be posted have done a 180. completely fucking stupid. it has to be all one way or the other. if texas looks bad, you'd better shit all over them or don't even bother showing up to post. if a few weeks later texas looks good however, then don't even hint that we might lose or you're just a pussy who needs to grow a sack and stfu. just a bastion for civil, intellectual discourse.

that's why i'm thankful that baseball (and to a lesser extent basketball) is a niche sport around here. the baseball board is brilliant, and the basketball board, although it does have its share of kerfuffles, certainly allows for more varied and nuanced discussion than the football board or the cloak room, which don't allow any original thought or discussion at all. echo chambers indeed.

Human emotions, how do they work?  Encouraged, discouraged, hopeful, doubtful, satisfied, disappointed, up, down, happy, sad, excited, angry.

Pretty much these things change as things change day to day, basically that's pretty much everything in life.   Would you rather posters still post negatively although we are doing better than expected?   Would you rather posters blow volumes of sunshine up your ass when they struggled? (very aggy btw).

Everything in life has it's ups and downs, and human emotions and opinions rise and fall right along side.

Edited by SHOOTER12

On 10/24/2018 at 8:11 PM, Beau Vine said:

Looks like he's back, but I'm not positive because he hasn't negged everyone else in the thread yet.  

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/profile/3961-903cougar/

He was banned at least twice on TOS, once here. He will show his true colors and get banned again. Cunts gonna cunt. 

What’s with all the fucking bannings going on? RadiologyHorn who was our good luck charm in guarantees us wins is banned? Shmitty who merely said that Texas wasn’t truly back gets run off too. I’m sorry but the level of discussion here is tanking and the bannings need to be reigned in. The rep system here sucks compared TOS

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

1 hour ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Human emotions, how do they work?  Encouraged, discouraged, hopeful, doubtful, satisfied, disappointed, up, down, happy, sad, excited, angry.

Pretty much these things change as things change day to day, basically that's pretty much everything in life.   Would you rather posters still post negatively although we are doing better than expected?   Would you rather posters blow volumes of sunshine up your ass when they struggled? (very aggy btw).

Everything in life has it's ups and downs, and human emotions and opinions rise and fall right along side.

is this your serious take after reading my post? no shit people's feelings about the team change as the fortunes of the team rise and fall. that doesn't have anything to do with what i posted. "would you rather posters still post negatively after we are doing better than expected?" no, genius, i'd like to be able to post about the upcoming game as if it weren't a 100% lead pipe lock win for the mighty unbeatable texas longhorns. i'd like to be able to posit that conference road games are tough to win without being shouted at for being a pussy beta boy cuck who needs to fuck off for daring to even imply that texas isn't an unbeatable juggernaut. i'd like the football board to allow/welcome/encourage honest opinions of all types. id like for the board not to be an echo chamber. you know, all the shit i said in my last post.

Edited by Goo Punch

4 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

What’s with all the fucking bannings going on? RadiologyHorn who was our good luck charm in guarantees us wins is banned? Shmitty who merely said that Texas wasn’t truly back gets run off too. I’m sorry but the level of discussion here is tanking and the bannings need to be reigned in. The rep system here sucks compared TOS

immamac runs the site and bans who he pleases for his own personal reasons. this ain't new. 

2 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

is this your serious take after reading my post? no shit people's feelings about the team change as the fortunes of the team rise and fall. that doesn't have anything to do with what i posted. "would you rather posters still post negatively after we are doing better than expected?" no, genius, i'd like to be able to post about the upcoming game as if it weren't a 100% lead pipe lock win for the mighty unbeatable texas longhorns. i'd like to be able to posit that conference road games are tough to win without being shouted at for being a pussy beta boy cuck who needs to fuck off for daring to even imply that texas isn't an unbeatable juggernaut. i'd like the football board to allowe/welcome/encourage honest opinions of all types. id like for the board not to be an echo chamber. you know, all the shit i said in my last post.

Damn dude take a chill pill.  Quit taking the bait from some of the posters.  It's obvious in many cases that they are just trying to get your hackles up, or flat out pulling the ad hominem bs to get a reaction out of you.   You know, like sarcastically calling me a "genius"?  Which btw the last time I was tested hit 168 on the old IQ test.  Granted due to age I've probably dropped a notch or a dozen.

From now on out we'll all try to defer to your preferences before posting.

Edited by SHOOTER12

I can look at the titles of each thread in the Politics forum and I know what 90% of the responses will say it is just how far left the responses will go.  I started to recognize that on shaggy a few years ago in CR.  It was definitely skewed but dang it is so bad now.  Just weird how that happens over time.

Yes. Just so weird that we don’t have more of these great takes:

FBI just arrested someone photo was just released.  I mean she was stupid enough to put her return address on it.  She does look like a Male in Florida in his 50s.debbie-wasserman-schultz-lunatic.jpg

Fuck off.
  • Like 1