name drop a possibly forgotten favorite player from your childhood

Goo Punch

7 hours ago, Oakbrook said:

What is wrong with you people?  All these pro players, get outta here.

steve+worster+texas+fb.jpg?ssl=1

Steve (Wooooo!) Worster.  1st Wishbone fullback.

Cotton Speyrer

on the the all-time name team:  Happy Feller.  Tied with Rooster Andrews for best kicker names.

Worster!!!

He was the cause of me being a Horn fan!

• Like 1

I collected a set of NFL cards in the early 80s.  Got every single card in the set thru buying the bubble gum packs one by one.  

Except for one guy, who I will remember til the day I die, I could not get this guys card in a pack.

s-l1600.jpg

Finally went to a card shop, fucker had a stack of 60 of them.  Was like the holy grail of the set for me.

Edited by mulletpelini
Had to be a cowboy, because I hate the fuckin cowboys
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Little Steven said:

He really did have the touch.

He was our favorite player as kids as well. My brother and I met him and got a good picture with him during the ‘88 season. We were 8 and 9. Acid washed jeans and everything in the picture. 

Anyways...a few years ago my wife took the picture and had it blown up and got in touch with Eric and asked if he would sign it. He did and sent it back. Probably her best gift to me in 20 years. I made her forward me all their emails so I could read them. He thought it was really funny that I was still a big fan. CSB

• Like 3

23 hours ago, hornian said:

You mean the guy who the best-receiver each year gets an award named after? I don't think he's forgotten.

Yet most youngsters could tell you jack and shit about him, which I thought was the point of this thread. Tell me about that Heisman guy without googling him 

Back in the 60s they played both ways. Many don’t know that Nobis stepped on the field a an OG, prior to LB.

Imagine getting blocked by him in practice and then all of a sudden, you have to block him!

My Dad only played on ST during the season, but received over 50+ stitches around his face/head while on the 40. All occurred during practice - and yes they had face masks.

Vernon Perry of the Luv Ya Blue-era Oilers.  Picked off Dan Fouts 4 times in a road playoff game Houston won without Earl, Dan Pastorini, or Kenny Burrough.

You can’t talk about that game without mentioning Rob Carpenter who came off crutches to fill in for Earl and provide most of what little offense the Oilers managed in that victory.
  • Like 1

Speaking of the '63 team and stitches...

The crown of that NC was beating the living shit out of Roger Staubach and #2 Navy in the Cotton Bowl. And that's literally what happened. There was a pretty good-sized crowd around the field house after the game, waiting for the team to get showered and dressed and come on out. Navy came out first, in their cute little Midshipman uniforms, and every single one of those poor bastards had busted lips, black eyes, bent noses, bruises, and I don't know what-all. They didn't just lose, they got an epic ass-whipping. 

Good times.

• Like 1

Wasn't a favorite player, but I put Craig Morton's number on my electric football Dallas Cowboys QB figure instead of Staubach. My dad couldn't believe it. I was all edgy and uncaring. 

Man some kids just want to see the world burn... 

My childhood fave was Marty Akins, I was a QB my whole life and ran the wishbone until my senior year when we switched offenses. In YMCA I had a face mask like James Street and Akins and I idolized them. I thought Akins was the coolest dude on the planet.

e6c3083e15f1d6632d473bdcd2c1ac69.jpg

Before my first football game ever...lulz holding my famous Marty Akins helmet and elbow pads!

4d80df52edb2b2a1b3143dea200e1202.jpg

• Like 2

My dad came to Texas by way of Philadelphia.

He might not qualify as "forgotten", since he was an All-Pro a couple years...

I had a #17 Harold Carmichael jersey as a kid.  Loved that thing.

Growing up an Oilers fan....John Grimsley (RIP) and Curtis Duncan were a couple of faves.  Although I wore 84 in high school because of Haywood Jeffires

3 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Chris Gilbert. He ran for 3,231 yards in 29 games for the Horns in 1966–68. He was the first player in NCAA history to record three 1,000-yard rushing seasons—rushing for 1,080 as a sophomore, 1,019 as a junior, 1,132 as a senior.

chris-gilbert-01.jpg?w=450&h=337

Chris Gilbert and Corby Robertson started Camp Olympia in Trinity Texas in 1968, I think.

3 hours ago, Mileslong said:

Man some kids just want to see the world burn... 

My childhood fave was Marty Akins, I was a QB my whole life and ran the wishbone until my senior year when we switched offenses. In YMCA I had a face mask like James Street and Akins and I idolized them. I thought Akins was the coolest dude on the planet.

e6c3083e15f1d6632d473bdcd2c1ac69.jpg

Before my first football game ever...lulz holding my famous Marty Akins helmet and elbow pads!

4d80df52edb2b2a1b3143dea200e1202.jpg

Given the whiteness of your uniform, gonna guess you were an End, Guard and Tackle for that team. 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2019 at 6:27 PM, BigSwingingD said:

Cowboys. My god...I have termed the late 80s "The Phil Pozderac" years. I'm trying to forget. I think they are back. I know wrong thread. The "I Hate Jerra Thread" is that way....

That was 35 negative yards. Thanks Poz. 1st and 40 fucking five.

I was listening to that game on the radio.  Dale Hansen called him Phil "The Claw" Pozderak after the 3rd hold.

SealeEugene1991TB.jpgpsetpo92-seale-731x1024.jpg

Eugene Seale - head hunter on special teams.  I saw him almost kill Derrick Shepard on a kick off return when the Oilers beat the Redskins.

Even Mark May wrote about it (when not blowing guys)

https://books.google.com/books?id=VxVKgy9U7IQC&pg=PA84&lpg=PA84&dq=eugene+seale+derek+shepherd+hit&source=bl&ots=40lvu0ISQn&sig=ACfU3U3Yvq9wVJYgckmSvTBgD_JwzNooJA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiu_ZLD6fjiAhVInq0KHbBNCO0Q6AEwAnoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=eugene seale derek shepherd hit&f=false

Edited by MAROON
  • Like 3

On 6/19/2019 at 8:08 AM, mininghorn88 said:

Have to go with Robert Newhouse with the Dallas Cowboys.  Originally from Hallsville, TX.  He was a quiet and humble man.  There were Newhouses still playing for Hallsville up to about 15 or so years ago.

Met him at a Methodist Men's Breakfast (Memorial Dr. UMC) must have been very early 70s - he was still with cougar high, I was no older than nine at the time.  Very nice dude and yes I agree quiet and humble.  Dude had some thighs.

4 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Why do they have a coke bottle in a circle on their unis?

Oh, come now . . .

(So I went looking for the 100 year anniversary 1883-1983 logo but, damn, it's not on the internet.  It's on my diploma but that's at work, so i can't take a picture).

Edited by Bullneck