name drop a possibly forgotten favorite player from your childhood

Goo Punch

Drew fuckin Pearson.

3x ProBowl

4x All Pro

489 Receptions

7,822 Yards

48 Touchdowns

General purpose good guy and upstanding citizen.  Never seen in a courtroom in fur.  He did kill his brother, though.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 3

Jim Bertelsen!

my neighbor’s daughter is married to his son.  He sings in a great band and DJ’s on a radio station.  Great people all around and I am lucky to have such great neighbors!

i watched him in those great Wishbone years as a kid, and he did great in the NFL!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Bertelsen

James Allen "Jim" Bertelsen is a former American football player, a running back for five seasons in the National Football League with the Los Angeles Rams. He played college football at the University of Texas at Austin, and was a highly regarded high school football player in Wisconsin out of Hudson.

As a sophomore at Texas in 1969, he helped lead the Longhorns to a national championship in the Wishbone option offense, alongside James StreetSteve Worster, and Ted Koy. As a senior in 1971, Bertlesen was the team's lead ground gainer. In his career at Texas (1969–1971), he rushed for 2,510 yards, averaging 6.1 yards a carry and 33 touchdowns, and also had nine 100-yard rushing games.

Bertelsen was selected in the second round of the 1972 NFL Draft, thirtieth overall, by the Los Angeles Rams. He averaged four yards per carry as a pro, and rushed for 854 yards in 1973. After his NFL career, Bertelsen returned to the Austin area.

Jim Bertelsen
No. 35
Position: Running back
Personal information
Born: February 26, 1950 (age 69)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Height: 5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)
Weight: 205 lb (93 kg)
Career information
High school: Hudson (WI)
College: Texas
NFL Draft: 1972 / Round: 2 / Pick: 30
Career history
Los Angeles Rams (19721976)
Career NFL statistics
Player stats at NFL.com

Player stats at PFR
Edited by Domedriver

Don't remember when, but Madden had a good line in his heyday, about one Glenn Titensor, of the Dallas Cowboys.   "Titensor, now that's a great name for a football player in training camp.  You're always tight and sore. ...."   

Cant' make it up.  

For Longhorns, how about the best jumper ever, Johnny Walker.  Wow! Talk about superman, flying through the air!  Could get the ball on the 2, and take the flying leap and land in the end zone like it was nothing.  

I am pretty sure Walker was the Killeen or Temple running back that played against my alma mater Round Rock.  At R. Rock, we were new to the top division. Our team was used to playing against the Taylor Ducks of the world.   The marching band was new to riding in style to football games, and I was a freshman.  I was in heaven, riding in the nice greyhound bus, etc.  I corrected predicted before the game that I would consider it a victory if we scored.  Walker rushed for 100 yards in the first quarter, could have easily gotten 400 against our team and we did in fact score against their 2nd or 3rd team late in the game.  I think the final was 48-6, and it wasn't that close.   Could have been about 100 to 0 if the opposing coach desired.  

That might have been the year McQueen coached the team to a state title.   McQueen was Temple, so I am not sure if I have the correct team, but both Killeen and Temple were dominant at the time.  

Vernon Perry of the Luv Ya Blue-era Oilers.  Picked off Dan Fouts 4 times in a road playoff game Houston won without Earl, Dan Pastorini, or Kenny Burrough.  The next week Vernon picked Terry Bradshaw and ran it back 75 yards for an early lead in what ultimately became the Renfro Game.

Kenny Burrough was awesome.  Dan Pastorini once bragged to a reporter his arm was so strong he could throw a ball from street level to the roof of a 7-story parking garage.  The reporter relayed this to Burrough, who responded “Yeah, and his fuckin’ receivers are all on the fifth floor”

• Like 2

love the Fitzgerald catch and remainder of series of course.  Just watched the series again and still maintain, as many others probably, that 4th and inches should have never happened.  Texas RB landed one foot north of 30 yard line.  First down marker was on 29 yard line.  Refs moved the ball back to the 29 yard line and then did not square the ball up, as in the ball appears to be pointed at an angle so that the ball is not pointed towards the goal line.  Bottom line, the refs. did everything they could to help 'huskers on this drive, moving the ball four feet back - so James Brown and Steelers Roll left is Texas history.  How awesome is that fourth down call?  Call of the year in all of football that year and is probably call #3 in Texas football history, behind Fourth down in Arkansas in 1969 and Fourth and Five the National Championship is on the line, 2006. Btw, that is the only thing I like about the Steelers.  It is amazing Mackovic spoiled all of the goodwill he earned on this December day.  That would be really cool to hear an interview with John and the team, looking back on this game, as the 25th anniversary of this gem is coming in the next couple of years.   I would love to hear from Lewis, Fitzgerald, Ricky, Priest, James....wow, that would be fun to hear their memories.  

Antoine Winfield, one of the best all-around corners I've ever seen and, pound for pound, one of the toughest mofos to ever hit the field.  Could play boundary or cover the slot, play man or zone, blitz off the edge -- he did it all at a very high level.  And he played the run like a fucking boss even though he was always outweighed by the competition.  Along with Mel Blount and Bryant Westbrook, Winfield played the run better than any corner I've seen, and he was several inches shorter and 30-40 pounds lighter than either of those guys.

Sincerely,

Antoine's mother         

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

What about longhorns?  I was always partial to Dominic Bustamonte and Grady Cavness for their names and Stoney Clark for his play against OU.  

UT is absolutely in play. shouts out Beau Trahan and Michael Ungar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

I tried to mention Phil Pozderac, but after three straight holding penalties and a false start, I had to drop him.

My mother was one of Gary Hogeboom's biggest supporters - mostly because of his Scandinavian roots.

Cowboys. My god...I have termed the late 80s "The Phil Pozderac" years. I'm trying to forget. I think they are back. I know wrong thread. The "I Hate Jerra Thread" is that way....

That was 35 negative yards. Thanks Poz. 1st and 40 fucking five.

24 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

or how about Ricky Brown? anyone born after the 80's will most likely have never even heard of Ricky Brown, and yet those of us who followed the team back then know how big of a role he played in Ricky Williams's success. 

devastating blocker on the iso play.  

Running Back Phil Brown (1990-1993). I thought he was a very good back but people forgot about him very soon after he left. This was probably because Ricky Williams and Shon Mitchell showed up a year later. Also his very good Freshman year got overshadowed by Butch Hadnot.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

Vernon Perry of the Luv Ya Blue-era Oilers.  Picked off Dan Fouts 4 times in a road playoff game Houston won without Earl, Dan Pastorini, or Kenny Burrough.  The next week Vernon picked Terry Bradshaw and ran it back 75 yards for an early lead in what ultimately became the Renfro Game.

Kenny Burrough was awesome.  Dan Pastorini once bragged to a reporter his arm was so strong he could throw a ball from street level to the roof of a 7-story parking garage.  The reporter relayed this to Burrough, who responded “Yeah, and his fuckin’ receivers are all on the fifth floor”

One of the greatest 00 players ever.

and that comment is pure gold.

2 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Wasn't a favorite player, but I put Craig Morton's number on my electric football Dallas Cowboys QB figure instead of Staubach.

My dad couldn't believe it. I was all edgy and uncaring.

he should've beat your ass

• Like 1

Lester Hayes.

Wanna know why they banned Stickum in the NFL?   Lester Hayes is why.

ae05cca58cc6bf677e1e5ce483a7e658.jpg

On purpose he would get that crap all over the WRs jerseys... 

edit: I remember trying Stickum in a Youth Football League and realizing that that crap is nasty.

Edited by 0xdeadbeef
  • Like 1

The only people who forgot Lester Hayes are the Hall of Fame voters...

Y'all pickin people now that e'reyone knows.

Edited by slorch