Amazing Soccer Goals, Saves and Blunders

Captain Ron

If you haven't seen it over the weekend, many of the goals from Villa-Southampton were pretty solid. Here's the video

My recommendations:

• James Ward-Prowse had a hell of a birthday with an impressive assist (3:13), and two free kick goals in the first half (3:55 and 4:40)
  • Danny Ings's great goal (6:02)
  • Jack Grealish's solid goal at the death (9:05)

10 years ago, Bray Wanderers of the Irish Premier League and Monaghan United of the Irish First Division played a 2 leg playoff for the final spot in the Premier League. The first leg ended 0-0, this is the end of the 2nd Leg (no away goal rule), tied 0-0 at the end of extra time.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

That wasn’t even the craziest thing that happened in Liga MX last night. In the earlier game, the referee sprinted back deep into the 18 yard box to block a Cruz Azul shot at an open goal. He then awarded a goal kick.

Holy shit, what was he doing?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Captain Ron said:

Because they don't explain anything else? Think about any other call, the ref just throws up his arm or a card. The refs don't talk to the crowd for anything else.

I mean, if someone gets a yellow, it's pretty obvious what they received it for. With VAR, are they reviewing the offside? A foul beforehand? Handball? Who knows.

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I mean, if someone gets a yellow, it's pretty obvious what they received it for. With VAR, are they reviewing the offside? A foul beforehand? Handball? Who knows.

I guess it depends on the league. The EPL has been good about putting up what they are looking at, and putting a decision on a board. It also comes down to the ref looking at the monitor. In the UCL, clearly the decision is only in the booth.

https://streamable.com/3x0867

Watch the replay, the ref has his hands to his ear for the entire time, then points to the spot as a goal.

Frankly, I don't care all that much, with enough replays (and this doesn't have nearly enough, especially on the pass, which WE can never definitively see come off the defender), you can tell what they are looking at.

BTW that link has an HD feed and replays. Check it out.

Edited by Captain Ron

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

Dele thought Giroud's goal was cool and decided to try it himself.

https://streamable.com/tzinve

Man, Wolfsberg had something like 8 guys on the box and he still had time to do that.

On a side note, I learned today that there is both a Wolfsberg FC and a Wolfsburg FC.  

• 2 weeks later...