2020 Texas Softball - Back to OKC!

Js1

On 10/30/2019 at 7:53 AM, Js1 said:

Appears we will be at the 2020 Judi Garman in California from 2/26-3/1.  Not sure how many games, but 2 for sure listed below. 

Feb 7-9 - opening season tournament at home (Colorado State, Maryland, TAMUCC, Wichita State)
Feb 13-16 - Puerta Vallarta Challenge (Cal Baptist, Colorado State, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Utah)
Feb 25 - ULL DUH at home
Feb 28 - Washington (at Judi Garman)
March 1- - Boise State (at Judi Garman)

Update: 

3/13 Bryant (T-Town Showdown)
3/13 - Alabama (T-Town Showdown)
3/14 - BYU (T-Town Showdown)
3/15 - Bryant (T-Town Showdown)
3/15 - Alabama (T-Town Showdown)

4/22 - Baylor (home)
5/1 and 5/2 - Baylor (road)

Tennessee, Alabama, ULL, Washington, Ole Miss, Utah in non-conf is salty.  So far. 

Does anyone have a contact for anyone with the softball team?  My cousin's 11 year old daughter collapsed and passed away  on the field during a softball tournament this past weekend in Denison.  Her life was softball and she looked up to the Horns a lot.  I wanted to hopefully get a message to someone with the program to see if there is a possibility of getting an autographed jersey for her Mom.    TIA if anyone has any info. 

25 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Does anyone have a contact for anyone with the softball team?  My cousin's 11 year old daughter collapsed and passed away  on the field during a softball tournament this past weekend in Denison.  Her life was softball and she looked up to the Horns a lot.  I wanted to hopefully get a message to someone with the program to see if there is a possibility of getting an autographed jersey for her Mom.    TIA if anyone has any info. 

If you can't tweet CDC, def email him. For softball: 

Dreya Johannsen, Administrative Associate 512-232-3410

Unfortunate that weather will not be optimum (53 degrees at gametime),  should be a great matchup.    Playing a comparable schedule including a win over Miss St,  Texas St is 6-1 this Fall.

AUSTIN, Texas – The Texas softball team will wrap-up its 2019 fall schedule at Red & Charline McCombs Field on Friday at 6 p.m. CT with a contest against I-35 rival Texas State.

Admission to the game will be FREE for all fans who wish to attend (no tickets required) with parking available in Lot 115 directly behind McCombs Field. All other lots on the east side of campus will require a proper PTS parking permit.

As a heads-up, no TV or radio coverage of Friday's match-up will be available, but live Twitter updates will be provided through the team's official Twitter account (@TexasSoftball).

https://texassports.com/news/2019/11/7/softball-to-conclude-fall-season-on-friday-versus-texas-state.aspx

Sounds like everyone signed except Kyleigh Sands who ended up at ULL And still pending Bailey Williams 

Sands goes DePaul > Texas > ULL 

Jayden (JJ) Smith 1B/3B/C/SS George Ranch High School, Richmond, Texas
Bailey Williams SS/OF from Murrietta Valley, CA
Ryleigh White, RHP, Washington Township, New Jersey
Alyssa, Washington, SS/C, Abilene, TX
Carlee Ratcliff, 3B/IF, New Boston, TX
Jordyn Whitaker, 3B/P, Jacksonville, TX

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Best of luck to Janna.    Very intelligent young lady who was a great teammate,  respected, liked by all.  May be eligible for an academic scholarship.

Texas infielder Janna Roberts has hung up her cleats, a team spokesperson confirmed on Wednesday.

Roberts has decided to focus on her academics instead of athletics. A sophomore, Roberts is studying aerospace engineering at Texas.

A standout student off the diamond, Roberts earned a 2018 TGCA Academic All-State Team 6A nod and graduated Summa Cum Laude with membership in the National Honor Society and the NASA High School Aerospace Scholars Program.

Texas added six names to its roster this offseason, but three seniors graduated and five players also left the softball program. Roberts and fellow infielder Malory Schattle decided to just become students at Texas. Meanwhile, pitcher Chloe Romero (Cal), first baseman Elicia Espinosa (Utah) and utility player Jaden Hoelker (UT-Arlington) all transferred.

https://www.hookem.com/2019/12/18/future-aerospace-engineering-calling-janna-roberts-steps-away-uts-softball-team/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Announced this week that Clarissa Davis and Huston Street will have their numbers retired in ceremonies this year -  well deserved !

Still no honor for Cat - would have been the perfect time.   Not familiar with the parameters for selection but from past articles parameters are not that transparent.   Each case is decided individually.   Jamie Ehteridge was the first female athlete to have her jersey retired in 2019. 

I know fans that have campaigned to the Administration for Cat's number to be retired.    She has been honored that her number (8) has not been issued since her graduation.

https://twitter.com/TexasSoftball?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

https://texassports.com/sports/softball/schedule

Twitter has several photos of preseason practice which began 13 Jan.   Game times posted on schedule.

Strong ooc schedule,  just disappointed the home tournaments do not include an overall stronger field.   Some good teams like Colo St/NDSU/Liberty,   but always enjoy LSU and Minn coming to town.   We do host ULL (maybe a top 10 team) on 25 Feb - should be a good one.

Texas is ranked #7 in Flo Softball’s preseason 25

We play:

@ 1 UCLA

@ 2 OU x3

3 Washington (neutral) 

@ 4 Bama x2

8 ULL x 2

9 OSU x3

12 Tenn (neutral)

18 Ole Miss (neutral) 

Yes, that’s 7 games against preseason top 5 teams, 12 against preseason top 10 and 14 against preseason top 18 teams. 

That’s salty. 

On 1/15/2020 at 1:47 PM, torre said:

Announced this week that Clarissa Davis and Huston Street will have their numbers retired in ceremonies this year -  well deserved !

Still no honor for Cat - would have been the perfect time.   Not familiar with the parameters for selection but from past articles parameters are not that transparent.   Each case is decided individually.   Jamie Ehteridge was the first female athlete to have her jersey retired in 2019. 

I know fans that have campaigned to the Administration for Cat's number to be retired.    She has been honored that her number (8) has not been issued since her graduation.

just announced

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I think christa deserves it too. She came here and gave the new program and coach Clark instant success and credibility. 

Think the criteria remains winning a NPOY award. Kamie won it in 86, Clarissa won it in 89, Edwina won it in 00, Street won it in 03, Cat won it in 03, 05-06.

We skipped over Edwina but might be waiting until we get Clarissa’s done in March 

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Think the criteria remains winning a NPOY award. Kamie won it in 86, Clarissa won it in 89, Edwina won it in 00, Street won it in 03, Cat won it in 03, 05-06.

We skipped over Edwina but might be waiting until we get Clarissa’s done in March 

2 gold medals and national softball hall of fame member, and as related to Texas, all American each year here I believe. 
if they are still using NPOY they are doing her and who knows how many others across the varsity sports injustice. 

23 minutes ago, HollidayHorn said:

A buddy and I are thinking about driving down from Wichita Falls for the Louisiana Lafayette doubleheader. My question is do yall think this game will pull a big crowd and we should go ahead and buy tickets or will we be able to walk up and buy tickets?

Yes. Could be 2 top 10 teams and the Cajuns travel well every time we play them. And they will share their food behind the LCF wall. 

AUSTIN, Texas – Legendary Longhorns pitcher Cat Osterman will have her No. 8 jersey officially retired on March 25 as part of ceremonies surrounding Texas' mid-week home contest against UT Arlington at Red & Charline McCombs Field.

(Wednesday, 6PM)

https://texassports.com/news/2020/1/21/softball-to-retire-cat-ostermans-jersey-number-on-march-25.aspx

• Like 2

On 1/21/2020 at 6:52 PM, Js1 said:

I get that. I don’t make the rules! It’s been the same standard for the men as well. 

I can't find it now, but I think Del Conte tweeted once that the standard that's always been employed at the University of Texas was either NPOY or unanimous All American. That was in response to someone asking about a football player.

Excited for this season to begin and to see what a full off season in Coach White’s program does for these ladies. My daughter’s playing time is over now, so I will be focusing all my softball viewing on the Horns.

Baseball was my gateway drug into softball. I enjoy following the ladies more because our baseball team sucks. I’m excited to see what we do this year.