2020 Texas Softball - Back to OKC!

Js1

Just saw this interesting fact from the AAS.   Didn't know Spencer had HC experience and good to see Chloe Romero doing well.

This will be the second head-coaching job for Spencer, who turned 37 last week. Spencer also ran the program at Chabot Community College from 2007-10. At Cal, she is set to inherit a team that last reached the NCAA Tournament in 2018 and went 13-11 this past season. Sophomore Chloe Romero spent her freshman year at Texas, but the right-hander led the Golden Bears in wins (seven) and strikeouts (49) in 2020.

https://www.hookem.com/2020/05/20/texas-assistant-coach-chelsea-spencer-to-lead-cal-softball/

Not to be that guy but I think there's a good chance we upgrade here with this assistant hire. 

White is an elite pitching coach and I think Singelton is an elite hitting coach based on what I saw in year 1. Spencer was a very  good assistant but our biggest weakness was fielding (which was her primary responsibility). 

We were 141st in fielding percentage this past year. I wish her nothing but the best and I do think she's a good assistant. I think White will probably upgrade though. 

12 hours ago, Js1 said:

We will miss Chelsea!

Heard she's taking volunteer assistant coach Kaile Cuico with her.

Chelsea is returning as the next head coach at Cal, her alma mater where she was shortstop on their 2002 national championship team.

Edited by LTtxfan

54 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Chelsea is returning as the next head coach at Cal, her alma mater where she was shortstop on their 2002 national championship team.

I'd guess Mike has no shortage of former players who may want to come be volunteer assistants for him.  Especially with the NPF season cancelled.  Looking over the rosters of NPF teams who are former Mike players:

Cheridan Hawkins (P)
Karissa Hovinga (P)
Gwen Svekis (C)
DJ Sanders (IF)
Janie Reed (OF)

Texas has one alum in the NPF who would be an awesome volunteer assistant - Nadia Taylor (IF). 

Edited by Js1

She was also like, the best defensive player in Cal's history on their only WCWS National Champ team.

She's a hometown hero and alum.  I'm amazed Cal was so fucking stupid that it took this long to hire her.  She should have been candidate #1, 2 and 3. 

27 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If I’m thinking of the correct year, if it weren’t for cal, Texas might have won it all in 2002. 

That is not correct.  Cal has never really kept us from winning a title - UCLA has. 

2002 was still the year where the regionals were basically set up like OKC (double elimination, 8 regionals of 6 teams regardless of conference).  We were in a regional with Army, OU, Utah, A&M and Arkansas.  Aggy eliminated us in the regional semis.

In 2003, we faced Cal in the 2nd round of OKC and eliminated them 1-0.  We got knocked out in the semifinals by UCLA, 3-0 and 2-1.  We also got knocked out of OKC by UCLA in the semifinals again in 2005 and 2006. 

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

The internet says Spencer and Cuico are married. 

13 hours ago, Goodman said:

Would Travis leave his kiwi HC for an aussie? He has a great reputation. Any other names being mentioned?

I’ve seen people’s wish lists but nothing definitive. Always did like FSU’s infield defense though 

On 5/16/2020 at 11:06 AM, Js1 said:

South Carolina stud 3B in the portal. Texas went after Klingler last year because of a hole at the 3B/SS position.  Does Mike go for it? In 2+ seasons, .301 hitter, 23 doubles, 5 triples, 25 HR, 98 RBI, .959 fielding. 

We still have a big ???? at 3B/SS 

She picked OU. Everything about that program is fishy. It’s like they have unlimited cash. Also that Gasso depends so highly on transfers the last few years.  Mike did too bc he inherited crap. She built a powerhouse but has forsaken recruiting and developing 

Edited by Js1

Texas Tech freshman is transferring to Texas

https://texastech.com/sports/softball/roster/brianna-cantu/9566

May have to sit out 2021 as an intra-conference transfer, but that may depend on if Tech issues a full release. If she was not on scholarship, no restriction. Looks like she can play either corner IF spot so Mike is looking ahead 

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Anyone see the Texas-based Scrapyard Dawgs commit suicide yesterday? No one will play for them as of now. Every prominent NPF name disavowed the organization 

For the post of being proud to stand for the anthem? If that was it, wtf is wrong with people.

6 minutes ago, Goodman said:

For the post of being proud to stand for the anthem? If that was it, wtf is wrong with people.

They posted a pic of their athletes, tagged Donald Trump, in the middle of a game amd made it about standing for the anthem during a contentious time about BLM and kneeling without asking the players how they felt about it? 

Really?

You sound pretty tone deaf, dude.  All these players said they don't support this, they stand with BLM and their right to kneel and protest. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

They posted a pic of their athletes, tagged Donald Trump, in the middle of a game amd made it about standing for the anthem during a contentious time about BLM and kneeling without asking the players how they felt about it? 

Really?

You sound pretty tone deaf, dude.  All these players said they don't support this, they stand with BLM and their right to kneel and protest. 

Tone deaf? I'll state that i'm non-anglo and my kinfolk too were enslaved in order to build this country. It's clear we all(most of us) stand for unity & equality but that is not what BLM says they stand for. Defunding the police as its primary objective makes it impossible for me to support, reform is long overdue but that is a very different mission.

20 hours ago, Goodman said:

The tweet said nothing about "being proud to stand for the anthem."  It said "...respecting the FLAG".....now normally, there's not much distinction.  But when the tweet tags Donald Trump and intentionally parrots his words, it makes it into a political statement and it misrepresents that each individual member in the team condones that political statement.  It's extremely disingenuous of the team's social media to do that.  This in addition to a large number of professional athletes trying again and again to clarify that the protest is not about the flag or the military, despite that being the direction a lot of opposing voices want to take it.  I'm sure the softball players did not want this tweet to misrepresent where they stand on the issue.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

The tweet said nothing about "being proud to stand for the anthem."  It said "...respecting the FLAG".....now normally, there's not much distinction.  But when the tweet tags Donald Trump and intentionally parrots his words, it makes it into a political statement and it misrepresents that each individual member in the team condones that political statement.  It's extremely disingenuous of the team's social media to do that.  This in addition to a large number of professional athletes trying again and again to clarify that the protest is not about the flag or the military, despite that being the direction a lot of opposing voices want to take it.  I'm sure the softball players did not want this tweet to misrepresent where they stand on the issue.

If they had known Connie May was going to use them to curry favor with Trump, they all would have knelt. The players were not kneeling or politicizing the return of softball. Connie May opted to politicize it without their knowledge. 

Other board says our open A.C. spot is going to current Ball State HC Megan Bartlett.  123-99 record at Ball State in 4 seasons. Defensive coordinator at Purdue prior to getting a head coach job. 

Wonder if true 

On 6/26/2020 at 11:57 AM, Js1 said:

Other board says our open A.C. spot is going to current Ball State HC Megan Bartlett.  123-99 record at Ball State in 4 seasons. Defensive coordinator at Purdue prior to getting a head coach job. 

Wonder if true 

Yup...

Texas has added Ball State head coach Megan Ciolli Bartlett to its softball team’s coaching staff, the school announced on Friday.  Ciolli Bartlett will replace Chelsea Spencer, a longtime lieutenant for Texas coach Mike White. Spencer was hired to lead the softball program at Cal in May.

“Coach Ciolli Bartlett brings a wealth of experience as a head coach, a professional player and as a former All-American standout at Notre Dame,” White said in a statement. “She is an excellent role model for young women, with tremendous passion for game, and possesses a personality that will definitely enhance both our program and coaching staff.”

Ciolli Bartlett had been in charge of Ball State’s program since the 2016 season. The Cardinals went 22-32 and lost twice to Texas in Ciolli Bartlett’s first campaign, but the team won at least 30 games in each of the next three seasons. Ciolli Bartlett compiled a 141-108 record at Ball State. Her 2020 team boasted an 18-9 record when this season was cut short by the coronavirus pandemic.

Ciolli Bartlett, who was once an All-American outfielder at Notre Dame, has also served as an assistant coach at Purdue (2015) and Northern Illinois (2008-12). DePaul had Ciolli Bartlett working as a volunteer assistant coach during the 2014 season.  Texas did not release Ciolli Bartlett’s salary information on Friday. Steve Singleton was paid $120,000 after he was hired last year as UT’s hitting coach. According to Ball State, Ciolli Bartlett had a salary of $111,240 this past year.

In UT’s press release, Ciolli Bartlett was quoted as saying that “It was going to take nothing short of an extraordinary opportunity to entice me to leave a place like Ball State and the people I love. With this opportunity at Texas, Coach White has delivered on that and more. The UT program is made up of some of the most gifted and passionate players in our game today. I can’t wait to get to Austin to get started.”

Ciolli Bartlett will be tasked with coaching an outfield that will return several experienced contributors in 2021. She will also coach baserunning and aid Singleton with instructing hitters.  The hiring of Ciolli Bartlett won’t be UT’s only transaction this off-season. The Longhorns must still fill the volunteer coaching position that was vacated by Kailee Cuico.

https://www.hookem.com/2020/06/26/ball-states-megan-ciolli-bartlett-hired-to-be-an-assistant-coach-on-the-texas-softball-team/?utm_source=SND&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_campaign=bevobeat

• 2 weeks later...

Florida SouthWestern State, that’s a new one. 

Prior to her time at "The Capstone," Gettins was a two-time National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) First Team All-American and National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) All-American pitcher at Florida SouthWestern State College in Fort Myers, Fla. She earned 2016 NJCAA Division I National Pitcher of the Year honors as a freshman, after posting a 39-6 record with a 1.45 ERA, and led the nation in wins as a sophomore in 2017 with a 35-1 record and a 1.46 ERA. After going a perfect 11-0 with a 0.84 ERA in league play in 2017, Gettins earned her second consecutive Suncoast Conference Pitcher of the Year accolade.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...