Euphoria on HBO

babysdaddy

Welp pulled the trigger and binged season 1 and the 2 eps of season 2 over the weekend. 

Like some said it felt trying too hard in first few episodes and didn’t think I would keep watching. Everyone seemed like an asshole and overboard on the talkin shit casually to each other. 

The filming and acting kept me in it and now I’m hooked. Zendaya kills it even though I ff through alot of the slow depressing parts. 

Fuck Maddy.
Nate. Fuck him. Wether he is closet gay or homophobe or confused bc of dad. Fuck him. No excuses for how shitty he is. Great acting though. 

Cassie gah damn. I’m probably late to that party.  Hated her in White Lotus but totally redeemed herself here. Lexi is the hot underdog though, but feels weird bc I still see her younger self in the Apatow movies. 

Fezco and Ashtray are the shit. 

52 minutes ago, yoladu said:

I have been enjoying the 10 minute character backstory vignettes that have started Season 2 episodes.

me, too! i think they did some in S1 as well...at least i seem to specifically remember one about Cat. 

but yeah, i was suprised to find that my view of Cal changed based on this episode. between his bittersweet 80s/90s high school backstory, the glimpse of his family life, his dickhead son humiliating him, and having a 12 year old easily beat him into submission...in two episodes he went from simmering malevolence to just pitiful. that's pretty good writing!

also...Rue's whole 'how to be an addict' bit was equally masterful. she's our protagonist and we're all rooting for her, but that was a pretty clever way of showing just how manipulative and what a liar an addict can actually be. 

i definitely fear for her now...  

What’s funny about this show is that high school kids today are boring, sexless, straight edge prudes compared to their peers from the 90s or even 00s.  This show is an anachronism shot to look cutting edge.

I also don’t understand the fascination with Zendaya. I think she’s boring as an actress and her looks are oversold.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Starfleet Command said:

I also don’t understand the fascination with Zendaya. I think she’s boring as an actress and her looks are oversold.  

This she plays unattractive too good and is the prime example of makeup can make you look different.   I know she’s meant to look bad here but her other rolls or pics minus huge makeup, she not attractive at all.   

What’s funny about this show is that high school kids today are boring, sexless, straight edge prudes compared to their peers from the 90s or even 00s.  This show is an anachronism shot to look cutting edge.

An entire generation grew up with her on the Disney Channel. Acting ability didn’t matter to the 5-14 year old set. She was the cool kid. They’re fans for life. Now that those kids are spending their own money, that alone will get her jobs.

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

An entire generation grew up with her on the Disney Channel. Acting ability didn’t matter to the 5-14 year old set. She was the cool kid. They’re fans for life. Now that those kids are spending their own money, that alone will get her jobs.

Yeah, good observation.  For me growing up in the 70s and 80s, I don't think there was a kid show that produced adult stars like Mickey Mouse Club and the latter-day Disney and NIckolodeon? stuff.

Might be kind of an interesting comparo of recent child/adult stars with past ones that started on the kid variety shows.  

Maybe there's not much difference, but it feels like there is, and also compared to kids who started in sitcoms, etc.

8 hours ago, Starfleet Command said:

What is this opinion based on?  Generally curious because I don't have high school kids nor do I personally know anyone in that age group anymore, but I don't think teen pregnancies have suddenly stopped being a thing, have they?  I have a hard time believing the above.

5 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

This she plays unattractive too good and is the prime example of makeup can make you look different.   I know she’s meant to look bad here but her other rolls or pics minus huge makeup, she not attractive at all.   

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Y'all need glasses.  She may not be a traditional Hollywood bombshell or as good looking as Cassie, but she's not even close to being considered unattractive.  She's very cute in a girl next door kind of way.

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, Tom said:

Y'all need glasses.  She may not be a traditional Hollywood bombshell or as good looking as Cassie, but she's not even close to being considered unattractive.  She's very cute in a girl next door kind of way.

I don't think Cooter was really commenting on her appearance or talent, per se. Just observing that quite a few of these kid stars have "star power" based on that alone.

Also, I think the fact that she's bi- or multi-racial scores points with youth.  It's amazing how often multi-racial kids, even with fairly unattractive parents, turn out pretty attractive.  It will be nice in a lot of ways when the races get more mixed up.

ETA:  I am pretty ashamed that I know anything about these young stars.  For some weird reason, I started getting Demi Lovato stuff on my google app feed, which I look at with some regularity for news.  I think it's because she's from Dallas.  And then I clicked on some of her sobriety struggle stories, which got me more, and also some stuff on Zendaya and other "Disney" stars.  Fucking google, man.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't think Cooter was really commenting on her appearance or talent, per se. Just observing that quite a few of these kid stars have "star power" based on that alone.

Also, I think the fact that she's bi- or multi-racial scores points with youth.  It's amazing how often multi-racial kids, even with fairly unattractive parents, turn out pretty attractive.  It will be nice in a lot of ways when the races get more mixed up.

And that's fair.  I had no idea she was bisexual either.  The only other thing I know her from is the Spiderman movies so I'm not really familiar with any of her Disney stuff or upbringing.

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

And that's fair.  I had no idea she was bisexual either.  The only other thing I know her from is the Spiderman movies so I'm not really familiar with any of her Disney stuff or upbringing.

I meant bi-racial or multi-racial, wasn't commenting on her sexuality.  As mentioned, I get drive-by snippets of her from google, and one happened to be about her parents.

15 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I meant bi-racial or multi-racial, wasn't commenting on her sexuality.  As mentioned, I get drive-by snippets of her from google, and one happened to be about her parents.

Oh, right.  Haha, it's early and I don't read good.

5 hours ago, Tom said:

What is this opinion based on?  Generally curious because I don't have high school kids nor do I personally know anyone in that age group anymore, but I don't think teen pregnancies have suddenly stopped being a thing, have they?  I have a hard time believing the above.

Studies show that gen Z is drinking less, doing fewer drugs, and having less sex. And no I’m not gonna search for a link because I’m lazy. But yea, gen Z are total prudes 

17 hours ago, Starfleet Command said:

that's probably true in general, but there is definitely a subset that IS into those things, even to the extreme. especially the alternative gender/sexuality stuff, that's much more common and accepted now. i know half a dozen young people (albeit slightly older, in the 19-24 range) that are pretty well-versed in drugs, including one who handles it about as well as Rue. 

i just view this show as featuring that sub...just like Cheer focuses on a different sub. same as it ever was 😎

anybody ever see Kids? different generation but similar dynamics/stories, altho that one felt more like a documentary which made it even more harrowing lol.

as a Gen Xer i find it very relatable.

Edited by mchookem
i'm gen X not Z duh
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, mchookem said:

that's probably true in general, but there is definitely a subset that IS into those things, even to the extreme. especially the alternative gender/sexuality stuff, that's much more common and accepted now. i know half a dozen young people (albeit slightly older, in the 19-24 range) that are pretty well-versed in drugs, including one who handles it about as well as Rue. 

i just view this show as featuring that sub...just like Cheer focuses on a different sub. same as it ever was 😎

anybody ever see Kids? different generation but similar dynamics/stories, altho that one felt more like a documentary which made it even more harrowing lol.

as a Gen Zer i find it very relatable.

Don't you mean Gen X?  Kids was appalling when I first saw it, and saw it again recently and was appalled in a different way, although I was an adult both times, and an active alcoholic the first time.

5 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Studies show that gen Z is drinking less, doing fewer drugs, and having less sex. And no I’m not gonna search for a link because I’m lazy. But yea, gen Z are total prudes 

Wow, I guess I was born 20 years early.  I mean I didn't choose to have less sex in high school, but things were what they were.

• Haha 1

This season seems to be a lot more with the trippy/metaphrical/artsy whatever filming style/scenes.  It's fun, but can also be a beating when there is too much.  Like jumping around sometimes hard to tell what is present and what happened earlier. Oh well...

I just can't take anymore of Nate...dude is a joke.  Don't think a dude like this him would have lasted at my hs lol. 

That's one way to do it, Cal. Atta boy.

Still too much unnecessary/irrelevant dick in this show

Edited by utxmike05
  • Like 1

I’ve definitely made the face Nate makes when Maddie starts going crazy on him in the hot tub.  “Should I say something? Oh no.  It just made it worse.  I’ll just sit silently.  No. That’s not working either. “

it was like the Rosie Perez get me water scene from White Men Can’t Jump.  But more uncomfortable. 

if this show wasn’t so Uber serious that could have been high comedy.  They should reshoot that scene with aJeff Garlin and Susie Essman with Larry David playing the role of Cassie.  

Edited by A-Tex Devil
  • Haha 2

This season seems to be a lot more with the trippy/metaphrical/artsy whatever filming style/scenes.  It's fun, but can also be a beating when there is too much.  Like jumping around sometimes hard to tell what is present and what happened earlier. Oh well...
I just can't take anymore of Nate...dude is a joke.  Don't think a dude like this him would have lasted at my hs lol. 
That's one way to do it, Cal. Atta boy.
Still too much unnecessary/irrelevant dick in this show

Yeah that episode was weird as fuck and hard to follow, got too cute with shit
  • Hook 'Em 1

Is this show appropriate for a 15/16 year old girl to watch? I assume no but a neighbor’s daughter is giving her grief for not letting her watch it.

Man…I have two daughters and I don’t want them to see it until they are 37.

But in all seriousness, I think that depends on how mature your kid is and your relationship with her. Probably some things you would want to talk with her about.

Or maybe this whole dad thing has made me a stick in the mud.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Is this show appropriate for a 15/16 year old girl to watch? I assume no but a neighbor’s daughter is giving her grief for not letting her watch it.

As long as the kid's aren't homeschooled or overly sheltered, I'm sure it's nothing they aren't at least familiar with. And I don't think the show romanticizes drug use or anything. I say let the kids watch

51 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

i don't have a teenage daughter, but is there a penis count a parent would feel comfortable with having their daughter see?

Edited by yoladu

Wish I did a S1 rewatch before this. I had a lot of feeling towards characters that I can't even remember what they're based on. Like Maddie is one of the chillest characters this season, and is shown multiple times being a good friend, but Cassie is still terrified that she will literally beat the shit out of her if she finds out (both can be true I guess). I remember hating her and her drama last season. 

Also not seeing how Rue survives this season. She's pretty damn far gone. For some reason I didn't peg Elliot as just another addict, but when he "confessed" to Jules that Rue was relapsing, I viewed him in the same light. He talks deep and is open (or conniving), but he's also an addict. 

Edited by BurdineBandit

What an epic meltdown from Cal. That scene was incredibly awkward. “Dad, can you please put away your dick?”

Rue is hard to watch right now. Pulling for her but she is pretty far gone.

Kinda fucked up for Elliot and Jewels to suggest a beer run, dangle her addiction in front of her, and then get angry when she joins them in drinking.

9 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

What an epic meltdown from Cal. That scene was incredibly awkward. “Dad, can you please put away your dick?”

Rue is hard to watch right now. Pulling for her but she is pretty far gone.

Kinda fucked up for Elliot and Jewels to suggest a beer run, dangle her addiction in front of her, and then get angry when she joins them in drinking.

Elliot is an shithead.  Pretty much all the dudes are assholes on the show, except the one with Kat.

I really was thinking Cal was going to crash into them, but that would have been too obvious.  But they did tease it though by cutting back and forth between each vehicle driving. 

The Rue dance scene with her Dad while she was super fucked up was sad.  Like the most depressingly sad thing I've seen in a long time.  Have a step sister that has battle drugs/addiction/self esteem issues for a long time stemmed from issues with her own father.  

Cal going out like that and blaming it on his own sons.  What a pussy ass bitch. Fuck him

22 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

Wish I did a S1 rewatch before this. I had a lot of feeling towards characters that I can't even remember what they're based on. Like Maddie is one of the chillest characters this season, and is shown multiple times being a good friend, but Cassie is still terrified that she will literally beat the shit out of her if she finds out (both can be true I guess). I remember hating her and her drama last season. 

Also not seeing how Rue survives this season. She's pretty damn far gone. For some reason I didn't peg Elliot as just another addict, but when he "confessed" to Jules that Rue was relapsing, I viewed him in the same light. He talks deep and is open (or conniving), but he's also an addict. 

I'm in the exact same boat.  I'm watching and enjoying season 2, but there's soooooo much I can't remember from season 1 and feel like I'm always confused on what certain characters' motivations are.  I'm sure there's a wikipedia page or online recap of everything that happened in season 1 if I stop being lazy and search for it before this next week's episode.

Edited by Tom