Euphoria on HBO

babysdaddy

Holy shit. Visually great, loved the music, and couldn't go to sleep for a while after.  Mainly because I'm now terrified of how my children are going to behave in a few years.

If anyone ever watched the movie Kids from back in the day.  Euphoria feels like that if you watched it while taking acid.

I watched it last night. Going to be a guilty pleasure for sure. At first I was like "oh come on, how bad could it be?" when they flashed the second content warning after the normal hbo one, but that definitely had to break the record for most boners in a television episode. 

2 hours ago, seven said:

I watched it last night. Going to be a guilty pleasure for sure. At first I was like "oh come on, how bad could it be?" when they flashed the second content warning after the normal hbo one, but that definitely had to break the record for most boners in a television episode. 

In. So in. 

yeeah...knowing the teenagers i know...this seems pretty accurate nowadays for a certain crowd. and i don't necessarily mean a juvenile delinquent flunking out of school crowd. 

there's definitely a kind of cynical malaise among a lot of teenagers nowadays. and a lot of 'self medication'. but maybe always? maybe our parents would have looked at what we did with the same sense of shock. 

Edited by mchookem

1 hour ago, mulletpelini said:

So the chick at the end was really not?

Her first appearance on screen I was like "is that a dude?". 10 minutes later it's confirmed as she is injecting hormones in her panties with obvious penis buldge and then surfing grindr for a top. 

Reading reddit today, apparently quite a few people didn't pick up on her being trans even at the end. 

It's just easier to notice the wiener when they are lying on the bed at the end. No verbal acknowledgement of it happened other than the bully guy insinuating and dominantdaddy's speech 

Edited by seven

On 6/19/2019 at 11:42 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

I watched it. I have two daughters. I am terrified. Haha.

First episode was really good, will keep watching to see if it has staying power.

I'm already terrified for my kids and I haven't seen it yet.  It's gotta suck being a teen...  don't make one fucking mistake or you're toast.

sub'd

i watched it.  it was shot nicely.  lots of music.  i guess the narrative with its attempt at adolescent profoundness of societal structure excusing horrible decisions is the only bothersome part to me.  shut up olds, nudes are the currency of love now and shit like that.  just kind of meh. my mom interrupted me counting window panes so i need to exist on heroin and mdma. 

teenagers are fucktards and always have been.  injecting some sense of nihilistic wokeness to it is trite.

not sure, maybe i'm just becoming old and getting off lawns and clouds, etc...  can't decide.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, sidis said:

i watched it.  it was shot nicely.  lots of music.  i guess the narrative with its attempt at adolescent profoundness of societal structure excusing horrible decisions is the only bothersome part to me.  shut up olds, nudes are the currency of love now and shit like that.  just kind of meh. my mom interrupted me counting window panes so i need to exist on heroin and mdma. 

teenagers are fucktards and always have been.  injecting some sense of nihilistic wokeness to it is trite.

not sure, maybe i'm just becoming old and getting off lawns and clouds, etc...  can't decide.

You definitely don't sound woke.

So, lmao, I saw this before this thread got populated.  It didn't catch me real strong at first (agree with sidis about self-indulgent twatter), and then the phone rang or something, so I was seeing but not really watching.

I did NOT catch that Jules was a guy.  I did note the injection before the to catch a predator scene with Eric Dane (bahaha), but didn't catch the other clues.

I agree with much of this. Every generation of teenagers has their outcasts and fuck ups. But I don’t think it can all be dismissed. Some folks are just hard wired for self destruction, even if they are raised in what appears like a good family.

36 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

How did y'all not catch that Jules is a dude? 

I'm the only yall and I explained why.  I was not paying much attention after about 10 minutes.

I don't imagine I'm going to hang with this for long. Every generation has their disaffected fuckups. It's a cliche, a badly worn one. 

12 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm the only yall and I explained why.  I was not paying much attention after about 10 minutes.

I don't imagine I'm going to hang with this for long. Every generation has their disaffected fuckups. It's a cliche, a badly worn one. 

It appears Mullet and Pokes were unsure as well, but iirc Mullet likes gigantic bushes, so I guess I could see the confusion.... 

2 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

It appears Mullet and Pokes were unsure as well, but iirc Mullet likes gigantic bushes, so I guess I could see the confusion.... 

I picked it up at the very end.  I was halfway watching and playing Yahtzee on my phone.  Shit was weird.  We did all kinds of goofy shit in the 80s, but nothing like that.

edit:  so here's the question, might be a dumb one but is the actor portraying a transgender actually a transgender IRL?  Or is it a chick playing the part because that was part of the reason it never occurred to me until the end that that was the storyline.  Looked like a chick to me, so I assumed it was.  That's the thing, sometimes I can't tell, and sometimes its actually a woman who's always been a woman who just looks like her dad a little bit too much.  Shit ain't fair.

Edited by mulletpelini
that's a man baby?

11 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

I picked it up at the very end.  I was halfway watching and playing Yahtzee on my phone.  Shit was weird.  We did all kinds of goofy shit in the 80s, but nothing like that.

edit:  so here's the question, might be a dumb one but is the actor portraying a transgender actually a transgender IRL?  Or is it a chick playing the part because that was part of the reason it never occurred to me until the end that that was the storyline.  Looked like a chick to me, so I assumed it was.  That's the thing, sometimes I can't tell, and sometimes its actually a woman who's always been a woman who just looks like her dad a little bit too much.  Shit ain't fair.

Yes.

Welp, this show is making me want to take my girls and move to a tiny town in southern Brazil.  Fuck man...I know it's TV, but I know some of this isn't far off the mark with how it is these days.  Can we just at least go back to the 90s?

The show is very well done...the cinematography and acting.

2 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

The actress is trans as well 

12 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Welp, this show is making me want to take my girls and move to a tiny town in southern Brazil.  Fuck man...I know it's TV, but I know some of this isn't far off the mark with how it is these days.  Can we just at least go back to the 90s?

The show is very well done...the cinematography and acting.

As a parent with kids that are just entering teenhood this is terrifying stuff. Make me want to take their phones away now.

I cant watch the show and enjoy it for what it is; my parent radar is going off on high alert.

• Like 1

I think it's decent but not great. Kids today aren't any different than previous generations. It's all the same and always will be the same for teens. The details change but the rest is a constant. As someone with five teens, this series doesnt bother me a bit. If you can't tell if your kid is like the ones in the series, then you failed as a parent.

• Like 2

I think it's decent but not great. Kids today aren't any different than previous generations. It's all the same and always will be the same for teens. The details change but the rest is a constant. As someone with five teens, this series doesnt bother me a bit. If you can't tell if your kid is like the ones in the series, then you failed as a parent.

I don’t think anyone is saying differently. But the different technology has definitely added a new level of shit. Now if some jack ass guy makes a video of him with a girl, even a “good” girl, and it gets passed around, that is a lot different than just rumors or name calling.