Montego Bay

BigOrange1

getting hitched on friday and heading to montego bay next week for the honeymoon.  originally, we were going to the dominican, but i was able to change it yesterday due to all of the issues american travelers are having in that country.  but since i just changed it yesterday, i haven't had a lot of time to look into montego bay.  anyone have any experiences there?  words of advice?  things to do?

24 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

getting hitched on friday and heading to montego bay next week for the honeymoon.  originally, we were going to the dominican, but i was able to change it yesterday due to all of the issues american travelers are having in that country.  but since i just changed it yesterday, i haven't had a lot of time to look into montego bay.  anyone have any experiences there?  words of advice?  things to do?

Drinking, snorkeling, hanging on the beach, sailing, sexing up the wife..... probably lots of little excursions you can take down towards Ocho Rios like Dunns falls.  Outside of the resorts Jamaica is 3rd world, but not dangerous like some other countries. Yer gonna get offered weed, coke and heroin as soon as you leave the airport.

• Like 1

Just now, Gil Bang said:

...most likely by your cab driver

Yep, your Cab driver, the guy in the airport handing out free welcome to Jamaica drinks, the guys at the tourist stop your bus will make on your way to your resort, the people just beyond the fence at your resort, the old lady in the shop you might visit off resort, your maids brother, your concierge....

• Haha 1

We honeymooned at Sandals MB. Enjoyed it.  If we had to do over, would have gone Ritz-Carlton as the price was probably a wash.   I played golf at the RC course and it was rad.   We took a day trip to Mayfield Falls with Barrett Adventures.  Had a great time.  Better trip than Dunn's river, I imagine.  Saw land pirates.  We also did a trip up to Croydon in the Mountains, a working coffee/fruit plantation.  Also a memorable trip.  No matter where you stay, you need to make an off-premises trip to Scotchy's for jerk chicken.  It's finominle.  I was only able to stop by briefly on the way back from golf, but the chicken I took back to the hotel was amazing.  I've sent a bunch of people over the years and they all rave about it.    

• Like 1

Went there with the ex many moons ago.  Mostly we just fucked, drank, and sat on the beach.  We did Dunn's Falls and the best part was watching some kind of model doing a photo shoot there and seeing her change bikinis several times in the open.  We also did a downhill bike tour down the Blue Mountains that was pretty fun.

11 hours ago, Parliament said:

Where James Bond was concieved.

Dunns River Falls is overrated.

The front desk can hook you up for the coffee plantation tour. I liked it.5deb24f86a8d3b383c9e60f6382dbcb1.jpg

Used to dive off Ian Fleming's beach in the late 70's.  He was dead but his estate was still intact and you could pay the house keeper and go down to the beach and even look around a little bit.   Most of that Hotel is NOT where he wrote many of the Bond books...  hell that wasn't even his property or at least on the grounds of the old property back then.  That's all been added on by a developer...and also changed quite a bit. IIRC

This is his old villa and I assume is a part of that hotel but further east. The room on the left is where his office and typewriter were still set up.  At the time we were there, you would see Dr Birds in the trees.  

the-fleming-villa.jpg

Edited by Loco

18 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I'll lay on a lilo till I'm lobster red
I still feel the motion here at home in bed
I tell you it's hard for me to stay away
You ain't been till you been high in Montego Bay 

Even before clicking on this thread the title got the song stuck in my head.  I vividly remember hearing this sitting in the back of my parents' station wagon in the 1970s.

1 hour ago, Loco said:

Used to dive off Ian Fleming's beach in the late 70's.  He was dead but his estate was still intact and you could pay the house keeper and go down to the beach and even look around a little bit.   Most of that Hotel is NOT where he wrote many of the Bond books...  hell that wasn't even his property or at least on the grounds of the old property back then.  That's all been added on by a developer...and also changed quite a bit. IIRC

This is his old villa and I assume is a part of that hotel but further east. The room on the left is where his office and typewriter were still set up.  At the time we were there, you would see Dr Birds in the trees.  

the-fleming-villa.jpg

Haven’t been able to make it to Jamaica yet...but this property looks awesome. The elevated house and the private beach area below are perfecto.

3 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Check the cruise ship schedule, and on a day when no ship is in port, Make a trip to Scotchies for lunch one day for some incredible jerk. 

FIFY.....

Scotchies is awesome.  Cruise ship people are not.  Stay at the resort and avoid doing any excursions on any day when a ship is in port:

http://crew-center.com/montego-bay-jamaica-cruise-ship-schedule-2019

Wouldn't hurt to plan around Ocho Rios cruis schedule either:

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/ocho-rios-port-708

• Like 1