Ken Burns: Country Music. 8 episodes. 16 Hours. Starts Sep. 15.

atomheartbevo

Glad they got Merle on film before he passed away.  

Read an article that mentioned they hadn’t really setup their interview hit list but knew Merle wasn’t long so they hurried to get him on film. Think they ended up with a few hours with him. From their they just went too down based on age/health on their hit list.
  • Like 1

That was great.  I'd heard of Jimmie Rodgers as one of the pioneers but I didn't know he went so hard:

If you don't want me mama
You sure don't have to stall
You sure don't have to stall
'Cause I can get more women
Than a passenger train can haul

I'm gonna buy me a pistol
Just as long as I'm tall
Just as long as I'm tall
I'm gonna shoot poor Thelma
Just to see her jump and fall

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bluto said:

Read an article that mentioned they hadn’t really setup their interview hit list but knew Merle wasn’t long so they hurried to get him on film. Think they ended up with a few hours with him. From their they just went too down based on age/health on their hit list.

Ralph Stanley died in 2016 as well - that's two that died before this aired.

Maybelle Carter is severely underrated in terms of most influential American musicians.  Also goddamn - got that record money in, bought a large body Gibson and a motorcycle.  And that lesson on "the thing about the index finger is you just keep it going no matter what".  Love her.  I have the Carter songbook around (and of course learned Wildwood Flower).  Need to dig back into it.

Jimmie Rodgers built a home in Kerrville.  I looked it up during the show and it has a 1 star rating on google with a review of "this is our family home and not a museum that is open to the public".  Spotted a Buda sticker on the car in one of those pictures.

I didn't know that story about the origins of the Grand Ole Opry - that was cool.

Great first episode.  I'm sure we'll hear more about the Carters (as we get to Cash) but.... I hope we do.

Just finished Ep1. There are no words except "Thank you, Ken Burns".

I was pretty familiar with Jimmie Rodgers, but I honestly knew very little about The Carter Family other than they were Tennessee legends. I had no idea Mabel developed a whole new style of playing guitar. Really looking forward to Ep2. My Dad was a huge Bob Wills fan and I was force fed that from the time I was born, ah-ha. Even got to meet Bob in 1973 when they dedicated his monument in Turkey, Tx.

Bob Wills 4-28-73.png

• Like 2

Also, the photographs in this thing are amazing. I absolutely love to see pictures like these, specifically from this time period. It's from a time period that's really not all that long ago- I mean my grandparents were alive then- and yet the world and this country were so vastly different than they are today. Getting to see history like this is just so cool. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Also, the photographs in this thing are amazing. I absolutely love to see pictures like these, specifically from this time period. It's from a time period that's really not all that long ago- I mean my grandparents were alive then- and yet the world and this country were so vastly different than they are today. Getting to see history like this is just so cool. 

I wonder what @Armybrat thinks of seeing this stuff here in 2019.    

They always do a top notch job on the photos and film.   Would be an awesome job to have, but sorting through thousands and tens of thousands of photos, etc. would be challenging.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

51 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Don't spoil it, I wanna see how it ends on my own......

Okay, for those curious

[spioler] Ken Burns killed 17 famous country music personalities during the filming of this series, culminating in the accidental disembowelment of Vince Gill, streamed live on the PBS website, during a follow-up show where Ken and Vince we’re visiting the last acoustic guitar factory in the US, which was serving as a backdrop to Vince discussing the history of American-made guitars. [/spoiler]

Well, this explains some things.  And his final body count is 20.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2019/08/26/ken-burns-country-music-documentary-pbs/1767605001/

The documentary took eight years of work and includes 175 hours on interviews.

For Burns, Duncan and Dunfey, the journey had become personal. Together they raised money to fund the project, worked to determine a historical time frame, solidified a cohesive storyline, conducted interviews, gathered photos and videos, spoke to 101 people — 20 of whom have now died — shed tears over the loss of Merle Haggard and searched for the genre’s genesis.

Have you ever lost so many sources before a project is released? 

Ken Burns: If we have the opportunity to have a subject where some people are alive, we work our way down the actuarial table. We go to the oldest first and talk to them because these are long processes of very many years. But we’ve never lost anything like we’ve lost in this film. Even since the beginning of the year, we’ve lost a few people, and it just made us super sad because we’re so close to the finish line. We thought they would be there to stand up when it was finished, and I’m sure we’ll lose someone else before it broadcasts. 

There are 175 hours of interviews for a 16-hour film. (All of the team’s footage and research will be donated to the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum.) We maybe used six hours of interviews. There’s a lot of stuff that future students of the genre will have the benefit of seeing or listening to it or reading the transcript.

Edited by atomheartbevo

Yeesh but that is to be expected somewhat. The best way to research something is by talking to those who lived it and that is going to make for some rather elder folks. I still cherish my parents stories(both now gone) about Hank Williams and his coming to buy shine from the local bootlegger. He supposedly bought his last shine about 2 miles from where I grew up. They saw him at the bootlegger, then heard about his death on the radio the next night.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bamachine said:

Yeesh but that is to be expected somewhat. The best way to research something is by talking to those who lived it and that is going to make for some rather elder folks. I still cherish my parents stories(both now gone) about Hank Williams and his coming to buy shine from the local bootlegger. He supposedly bought his last shine about 2 miles from where I grew up. They saw him at the bootlegger, then heard about his death on the radio the next night.

Wow... That's a great story. 

My grandmother was a nurse on duty in the town where he was pronounced dead in WVA... He was never in the hospital, but taken straight to the funeral home and the medical coroner came there. 

My grandmother would visit that same funeral home many years later upon her death. 

• Like 1

I found an article that somewhat comes close to backing up my parents story(they got married in 1950 and the family ;and is a little over a mile from where Leonard Jennings, the biggest local bootlegger lived). My dad did some work for Jennings, back then. My mom's mother was also the local midwife and was supposedly there along with my mom, helping her, looking after Jennings wife who had just given birth the day before. Scroll down to the last few paragraphs, where they talk about them coming onto Lookout Mtn to get liquor.

http://www.lookoutalabama.com/2013/09/shave-haircut/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The University said:

we all have "our" version that we love. hard times was written in the 19th century and has been adapted so many times by a wide variety of artists. that's part of the beauty of music.

It's all part of his story showing how old folk songs are still being sung today a new crop of musicians I think.

11 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

It's all part of his story showing how old folk songs are still being sung today a new crop of musicians I think.

so far, that is definitely a recurring theme. many of the harmonies were passed down from previous generations and the lyrics would change depending upon regional and current/engaging subjects. even though hard times was "written" in the 19th century, i imagine it is much older than that.

honestly, i was going into this doc thinking "nashville, bah humbug, blah, blah" but i'm loving it so far.

Edited by The University
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, The University said:

honestly, i was going into this doc thinking "nashville, bah humbug, blah, blah" but i'm loving it so far.

I've been very impressed at how much they've covered geographically.

Marty Stuart had it right - Nashville had their business act together, otherwise it could have easily been somewhere else.