Ken Burns: Country Music. 8 episodes. 16 Hours. Starts Sep. 15.

atomheartbevo

Glad to see that they are showing how much of a badass Merle was.  

And how much of a badass his mom was.   

And wondered if they would show Marty Stuart’s wife.  She aged well for 79.

bit of a gut punch that Barbara Mandrell is 70.   Feeling old.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

On 9/17/2019 at 7:23 AM, kevwun said:

Crazy about the station in Mexico blasting it's signal out so strong that it covered the entire US all the way to Canada.  I can't imagine hearing the radio through a barb wire fence.  All because of goat balls.

I know late to the party. But this will be discussed Tuesday in San Antonio:

https://www.tpr.org/community-calendar/event/543575

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

bit of a gut punch that Barbara Mandrell is 70.   Feeling old.  

She put peanuts in my Coke if you get what I mean. Young Dolly was just unfuckingbelieveably hot. She coulda had A cups and still been smoke. Thank God we never had to find out.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bluto said:

Damn dolly was pure train smoke

If you ask me to name five living people to have over for dinner at the same time, Dolly might make the list.  Absolutely fascinating life and interesting person.

A few things I've learned from the show so far.  (I'm catching up.)

1.  From the beginning, artists dumbed themselves down to appeal to the rubes.  (I found Minnie Pearl interesting.)  I knew modern artists have done it for years but I didn't know it had been going on since the beginning.  (Rap music does the same thing, if you think about it.)

2.  Nashville really played the long game and had their shit together.

3.  Emmy Lou Harris is 72 and still hot.

4.  History of the Carter family was interesting and how it later intersects with Johnny Cash.  Actually, there are a lot of intersections that I didn't realize and those have been interesting as well.

1 minute ago, Jerry Callo said:

There are a lot of similarities between the birth and evolution of country music and hip hop.  Hip Hip Evolution on Netflix is a pretty good watch if you're interested.

Except for all the murders, and explicit language, and glorification of the thug life......yeah lots of them.

I feel dirty for making that joke.   

This series really turned into a love letter to country music.  They aren’t covering up the bad stuff, but they are re also putting it all in context.    Friends of ours who are not country music fans, and kind of always took digs at it, are in love with all of the old music and personalities.  

9 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

There are a lot of similarities between the birth and evolution of country music and hip hop.  Hip Hip Evolution on Netflix is a pretty good watch if you're interested.

As a nod to this very concept, AV Club once did a series where they had their rap critic study country music and profile legendary country artists.  The article on Willie is pretty good: https://music.avclub.com/nashville-or-bust-week-4-shotgun-willie-s-concept-alb-1798216450

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I feel dirty for making that joke.   

This series really turned into a love letter to country music.  They aren’t covering up the bad stuff, but they are re also putting it all in context.    Friends of ours who are not country music fans, and kind of always took digs at it, are in love with all of the old music and personalities.  

Never feel dirty about sexual innuendo on Surly, be proud of your inappropriate pre-versions.

3 hours ago, Ollie Slatt said:

As a nod to this very concept, AV Club once did a series where they had their rap critic study country music and profile legendary country artists.  The article on Willie is pretty good: https://music.avclub.com/nashville-or-bust-week-4-shotgun-willie-s-concept-alb-1798216450

That whole series was really good.

14 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It might be something Iowa Public Television is imposing too.

I've been watching mostly via Public Television app on my tablet, but you have to log in through your local PBS provider.

Watching this is making me want to review several episodes of both Otis and Tyler. 

I've been watching it off the on demand. I got caught up this weekend. Bill Malone's book is one of Tyler's main sources. Ken Burns was kinder to Jeannie C. Riley than Tyler was. 

We got to see Pig as a young man too. Session player in the Quonset hut and then at the end a player again with Sturgill. 

I have a lot of reading ahead of me. 

27 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

GettyImages-78803058.jpg

If you don't want me mama
You sure don't have to stall
You sure don't have to stall
'Cause I can get more women
Than a passenger train can haul

I'm gonna buy me a pistol
Just as long as I'm tall
Just as long as I'm tall
I'm gonna shoot poor Thelma
Just to see her jump and fall

Just now, WhatTheBuck said:

They're definitely taking a broad definition of Country in this series. I've got a great big "Fuck you!" for Ken Burns if the music of Jerry Garcia, Robert Hunter, and the Grateful Dead isn't included. 

RIP, Robert. 

They had a still of Jerry that was on screen for a few seconds in episode 1.

7 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I'm about an episode behind but I didn't realize how much of a train wreck Hank Williams was.  I knew he died young from alcohol but he really went above and beyond.  Selling tickets to his wedding made me laugh.

Chloral hydrate, booze, and opiates are not a good choice. But, if he had undiagnosed spina bifida or other back ailments that caused him to live in constant pain or sleep in the arms of Morpheus I can understand some  of why he went there. 

Johnny Cash at his speed freakiest was equally disturbing.