Phone usage in Australia

My oldest daughter (no pics) is traveling to Australia for a month.  I am trying to determine the best way for her to have her phone without costing an arm and a leg.  AT&T has a $10/day plan that allows her to use our regular unlimited plan ($300 = nope) or another plan that allows for unlimited texts, 1gb data, and .35/minute for calls for $60 (probably not enough data, therefore $50/gb over).  I think the other alternative is to get here phone unlocked and then get a sim card from a local carrier when she gets to Perth.

Has anyone gone the local sim card route?  Am I missing a viable alternative?  TIA

Local sim is the way to go.  This is important because she will need to be able to access her tinder account at all times, and all that data would get expensive on any kind of international roaming plan.  You can communicate with her via WhatsApp or something similar.  She can also enable WiFi calling, as she will most likely have WiFi access wherever she is staying.  Then you can talk/FaceTime without using any data.  The last time I used a local sim I think it cost me $20 for 2 weeks, and if you run out of data you can just buy more online.  

I have Project Fi (googles cell phone service). I can travel anywhere in the world and it doesn’t cost anything extra for usage. Went to Australia 2 summers ago and it work flawlessly. Sydney and Gold Coast.

you can go to Best Buy and pick up a moto phone for $200 and then sign up for Service online. There is no contract so you can an electrician when she gets back if you don’t like it.

It is also about 25% less than my previous Verizon bill

1 minute ago, Orange&White said:

I have Project Fi (googles cell phone service). I can travel anywhere in the world and it doesn’t cost anything extra for usage. Went to Australia 2 summers ago and it work flawlessly. Sydney and Gold Coast.

you can go to Best Buy and pick up a moto phone for $200 and then sign up for Service online. There is no contract so you can an electrician when she gets back if you don’t like it.

authentic frontier gibberish.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

My oldest daughter (no pics) is traveling to Australia for a month.  I am trying to determine the best way for her to have her phone without costing an arm and a leg.  AT&T has a $10/day plan that allows her to use our regular unlimited plan ($300 = nope) or another plan that allows for unlimited texts, 1gb data, and .35/minute for calls for $60 (probably not enough data, therefore $50/gb over).  I think the other alternative is to get here phone unlocked and then get a sim card from a local carrier when she gets to Perth.

Has anyone gone the local sim card route?  Am I missing a viable alternative?  TIA

I learned about AT&T's so called international plan the hard way when my son spent three weeks in Ireland back in May.   Other than travel to Mexico or Canada,  it SUCKS!     And AT&T Sucks, but I keep it because they have better coverage in the Hill Country when you can't even pick up a Verizon or any other signal.    

BTW while on topic because I want this for future reference...When you go the SIM card route, can you transfer your permanent number to your temp number?

23 hours ago, Orange&White said:

At that rate; why not just pay the $300 ($10 a day) and save the hassle.  

On 6/21/2019 at 9:56 AM, Jerry Callo said:

What’s ap

All she needs is wi-fi.  Possibly get a hotspot, as well.  Her preference.

Son spent 9 months in Poland last year.  What’s Ap kicks ass.