USMNT 2018

Ted Lange

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Forgot that it was on. Read that he looked good when he came on. When is the game against Ireland?

June 2nd @ IRELAND (Dublin) 3pm EDT (2pm in Austin)

June 9th @ FRANCE (Lyon) 3pm EDT (2pm in Austin)

Edited by Napoleon

19 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Hyndman hasn't seen the bench must less a minute for Bournemouth since scoring an own-goal in January.   But he has kept quiet.  Not a peep from him or his camp.

He was a force for Rangers during his loan. I wish he'd get loaned out to a Championship squad.

US Soccer has announced the 25 players that will train for the matches against Ireland & France.

MNT May 29, 2018
CHICAGO (May 29, 2018) –  Following the U.S. Men’s National Team’s 3-0 win against Bolivia, head coach Dave Sarachan has made 10 additions to the youthful MNT roster that will travel to Europe for friendlies against the Republic of Ireland in Dublin on June 2 and France on June 9 in Lyon.

Sarachan has called up goalkeepers Zack Steffen and William Yarbrough; defenders Shaq Moore, Tim Parker and DeAndre Yedlin; midfielders Tyler Adams, Luca de la Torre, Kenny Saief and Wil Trapp; and forward Bobby Wood.

Seven players who were part of the MNT roster leading up to Monday’s match against Bolivia have departed camp: Alex Bono, Alejandro Guido, Lynden Gooch, Ethan Horvath, Matt Olosunde, Christian Pulisic and Walker Zimmerman.

With the changes, the average age of the MNT roster that will travel to Dublin on Tuesday night rises to 23 years, 102 days.

Detailed Roster by Position (Club; Caps/Goals)

GOALKEEPERS (3): 
-
Bill Hamid
(Midtjylland/DEN; 5/0)
-Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew SC; 2/0)
-William Yarbrough (Club León/MEX; 3/0)

DEFENDERS (9):
-Cameron Carter-Vickers
(Tottenham Hotspur/ENG; 2/0)
-Eric Lichaj (Nottingham Forest/ENG; 15/1)
-Matt Miazga (Chelsea/ENG; 5/1)
-Shaq Moore (Levante/ESP; 0/0)
-Erik Palmer-Brown (Manchester City/ENG; 1/0)
-Tim Parker (New York Red Bulls; 0/0)
-Antonee Robinson (Everton/ENG; 1/0)
-Jorge Villafaña (Santos Laguna/MEX; 17/0)
-DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United/ENG; 50/0)

MIDFIELDERS (10): 
-
Tyler Adams
(New York Red Bulls; 3/0)
-Joe Corona (Club America/MEX; 21/3)
-Luca de la Torre (Fulham/ENG; 0/0)
-Julian Green (Stuttgart/GER; 9/3)
-Weston McKennie (Schalke/GER; 2/1)
-Keaton Parks (Benfica/POR; 1/0)
-Rubio Rubin (Club Tijuana/MEX; 6/0)
-Kenny Saief (Anderlecht/BEL; 2/0)
-Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 4/0)
-Tim Weah (Paris Saint-Germain/FRA; 2/1)

FORWARDS (3):
-Andrija Novakovich
(Reading/ENG; 2/0)
-Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen/GER; 1/1)
-Bobby Wood (Hamburg/GER; 37/11)

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2018/05/29/15/05/20180529-news-mnt-sarachan-calls-25-players-to-europe-for-ireland-france

Edited by Napoleon

I know our options are limited but Hamid is fuckin awful and has never, ever shown out during ANY game i've ever seen him play. He's MLS quality, i'm sure. We have reserves that deserve minutes instead of trying to make this experiment happen over and over.

I know that Bobby Wood got the goal, but Sargent looks so much more lively and dangerous than Wood did. 

Weah is not anywhere close to being national team level ready, but he was a little more interesting once Sargent got into the game.

Bill Hamid won't be back for a while.

Corona... ummm... not sure why he's on the squad.

Sucks that Parks and Saief (sp?) "picked up knocks" during practice. Parks' ball control was sorely missed (actually, ANYONE who can control the ball was sorely missed) in this game.At times the game resembled a volleyball match more than soccer/football.

5 hours ago, DeathTongue said:

At least we don't have TrouserTrout here trying to tell us how great Bill Hamid is anymore.

I've never seen Bill Hamid look so bad before... ever, but he was so awful that it will be a long time before he gets another call.

I wouldn't think that riding the bench could make someone that awful. I mean, you still have to practice and you still take reps with a keeper coach right there.

Also, we should get slaughtered by the French (I don't care what combinations they play), but playing the kids is the right thing to do, and everyone at the FC Soccer Roundtable happens to agree.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=23687705

13 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Also, we should get slaughtered by the French (I don't care what combinations they play), but playing the kids is the right thing to do, and everyone at the FC Soccer Roundtable happens to agree.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=23687705

The USMNT player pool shouldn't include anybody that will be over 30 at the next World Cup. 

5 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

shouldn't being the key phrase there.......

I'm a realist. I know they'll never take such drastic measures. Plus, with Jozy being 29 this Fall they'll give him games to try and catch Deuce and Donovan on the scoring list.

The only guy I'd even give a look to who would be over 30 is Nagbe and that's only because he's been pretty damn good playing the holding midfielder for Atlanta United this year and it's a role he never played until now. I'd maybe try him out in that role in some low stakes games to see if there's anything there, but I'd be willing to cut bait quickly. Then again, I'm biased as an Atlanta fan.

2 hours ago, The Dog said:

Seven months after the Trinidad game, we now have a more complete picture of what went wrong. But where do we go from here? The answer isn’t much clearer than it was that night.

The most American thing ever............... 

4 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Personally, I’m pretty shocked the US Soccer would try and blame everything on Klinsmann and Gulati. Just shocked.

Klinsmann may have made many questionable choices, but he's largely responsible for the number of young players we have playing Europe. He personally used connections to get some of the guys looks and his push of "GO TO EUROPE IF YOU CAN!!" has driven so many more kids over there, and at a younger age (18) than ever before.

PS- I haven't read the article yet, but I probably will soon.

14 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Klinsmann may have made many questionable choices, but he's largely responsible for the number of young players we have playing Europe. He personally used connections to get some of the guys looks and his push of "GO TO EUROPE IF YOU CAN!!" has driven so many more kids over there, and at a younger age (18) than ever before.

Speaking of.......

Does MLS currently help the USMNT hurt, or have no affect on it?

1 hour ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Speaking of.......

Does MLS currently help the USMNT hurt, or have no affect on it?

It hurts and helps. A lot of the teams are actually putting an effort into running an academy system. It's a long way from being entirely fruitful and some are better than others, but it's a step in the right direction. Hopefully it will allow teams to identify young talent, give them some development and then move them on to Europe.

The quality of play across the league has gotten better too, but that's relative to what it has been. The biggest drawback is that it provides a safe landing spot for USMNT players which is bad. Michael Bradley got sick of competing for a spot in Europe and came to Toronto and his play regressed and he's just one example.

1 hour ago, ATLLonghorn said:

It hurts and helps. A lot of the teams are actually putting an effort into running an academy system. It's a long way from being entirely fruitful and some are better than others, but it's a step in the right direction. Hopefully it will allow teams to identify young talent, give them some development and then move them on to Europe.

The quality of play across the league has gotten better too, but that's relative to what it has been. The biggest drawback is that it provides a safe landing spot for USMNT players which is bad. Michael Bradley got sick of competing for a spot in Europe and came to Toronto and his play regressed and he's just one example.

This was pretty much my thought as well. The access to quality coaching at a younger age has been great for the long term development but I also have a problem with the biggest stars staying home instead of challenging at the more competitive leagues overseas. 

18 hours ago, Napoleon said:

the article is really well done. it brings to the forefront many of the things that were posted about during in game threads. why is he playing that position? what is this formation? etc.

here's a quote:

nside the team, the four-plus years of inconsistent tactics and messages began to take a toll. Players described routinely having to figure out positions in the tunnel on the way onto the pitch. “The thing that got talked about the least in the national team for five years was soccer,” said a source close to the team. When asked about the struggles, players articulated that it wasn’t any one issue but instead a compounding frustration, slowly rising in temperature, like a pot of water about to boil.

i think that was apparent on the field, with players out of position in odd formations.

13 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

This was pretty much my thought as well. The access to quality coaching at a younger age has been great for the long term development but I also have a problem with the biggest stars staying home instead of challenging at the more competitive leagues overseas. 

DITTO

Michael Bradley- I think that he was offered way too much money to turn down and he and his wife wanted to start a family and felt like coming back to North America was what they wanted. Not positive that they've started a family, but I think so. Also not sure if the kid(s) was born in Canada or the US. He was definitely at his best when he was having to constantly fight for playing time and think very quickly.

Jordan Morris- This guy is the anti-Christian Pulisic/Weston McKennie/Keaton Parks. Klinsmann ripped him for wanting to stay in the comfy confines of Seattle with his girlfriend and his dog, because it showed that he didn't have the desire to push himself to be the best that he could be.

Problem with US SOCCER/MLS is that in every other country in the world, if you develop a player in your academy system and then at 18, a kid signs with a European Club, you get a Development Fee. And if they are sold again (within the first 3 years I believe), then you get another bonus. THAT DOESN'T EXIST IN THE U.S.... which is STUPID!!!

So Weston McKennie develops with FC Dallas, but holds off on signing a professional contract, because he knows that you can't really force FC Dallas to sell him when he turns 18, so he just bides his time, training for free in the academy and then says "Auf Wiedersehen!" It wasn't because he wanted to fuck over FC Dallas, but he wanted the ability to move to Europe as soon as he could and signing a contract with FC Dallas would have killed that opportunity.

POSITIVES FROM MLS:
-Academies
-Soccer Exposure
-USL Teams
-Tangible Stepping Stone (vs "All or Nothing")
-Improved Instructors... which bleeds over to Academies & Summer Soccer Camps
-Soccer Specific Stadiums

The article may or may not be entirely accurate, but it sure did verify many of the complaints that I had.  Namely,

Donovan was not cut because he was fat.  He was cut because Klinsman is a thin-skinned little bitch.

Chandler is also a pussy and was def going through the motions for the US.  Explains his club v national team discrepancy.

Gulati is a completely useless tool that should have stayed on Dr. Moreau's island.

3 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

The article may or may not be entirely accurate, but it sure did verify many of the complaints that I had.  Namely,

Donovan was not cut because he was fat.  He was cut because Klinsman is a thin-skinned little bitch.

Chandler is also a pussy and was def going through the motions for the US.  Explains his club v national team discrepancy.

Gulati is a completely useless tool that should have stayed on Dr. Moreau's island.

Donovan also took a year off before the World Cup to see if he wanted to keep playing. 

I don’t have a problem with Chandler telling Wood to rest and recover. Wood played all summer through injuries and went back to Hamburg and struggled through an injury filled season that killed his confidence.

Gulati was useless but so is 99% of US Soccer. It’s a corrupt organization that really only cares about making money.