Texas women's basketball '18-19

texasstrong12

19 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I didn’t know Brooke made it to the WNBA. Happy for her

She wasn't drafted, went through training camp with the LA Sparks, got cut, went abroad to play with a Finnish team and then went through camp with Dallas and got signed. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Celeste has played 5 games with the U-19 FIBA Team against Australia, South Korea, Hungary, Germany and Canada (5-0 record)

She is averaging 6 points in 19 minutes/game shooting 40% (0-8 from 3), 2-4 FT, 2.4 rebounds per game, 10 assists to 9 turnovers, 2 blocks, 11 steals (leads the team). She's scored 30 points in limited action so far. 

She's getting the most minutes off the bench and she's a really good defensive player.  Something sorely missing from Texas last year.  Not too worried about her 0-8 3fg because this U-19 team is not great from behind the arc (29.3%). 

11 minutes ago, Sandlot said:

But there wouldn’t be any need to see Tiffany at camps if Tina was there with Coach Aston because they both coached the same position.

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Tina and Tiff never overlapped at Texas and Tiff wasn't coaching, period, until we pulled her out of WNBA (when she was about to retire). 

My post was to indicate that I would always see Aston and Tina in Chicago, New Orleans, and Indy at the camps.  I’m fully aware Tina is at UVA.  My post was saying i thought it was odd I didn’t see Tiffany at those camps to recruit in a similar fashion to what Tina did. 

Is that clear? 

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

My post was to indicate that I would always see Aston and Tina in Chicago, New Orleans, and Indy at the camps.  I’m fully aware Tina is at UVA.  My post was saying i thought it was odd I didn’t see Tiffany at those camps to recruit in a similar fashion to what Tina did. 

Is that clear? 

Yes.

And I'm not too surprised.  Tiff was a weird hire (the Texas Ex coming back), but man we need someone on the trail who can get into living rooms and get those girls to commit.  That wasn't Tiff. 

Washington has been a HS/AAU post coach.  Move him back, keep Carey with the guards and figure out someone to coach a god damn offense. 

Edited by Js1

More on Tiff gone...

Texas released a statement this morning from Tiffany Jackson, who is stepping down after one season as an assistant coach with the women’s basketball team. Jackson was also a three-time All-American for the Longhorns. #HookEm

9:32 AM · Aug 1, 2019

“The University of Texas has been such a big part of my life for many years. It was an honor to play for the Longhorns and I want to thank Karen Aston and the administration for the opportunity to have been an assistant coach at my alma mater.".  @tiffjack3

9:16 AM · Aug 1, 2019
Edited by LTtxfan

On 8/1/2019 at 8:55 PM, Goodman said:

It's going to be very interesting because CDC wants to compete for titles going into the new building. 

CDC has to outmaneuver Plonsky & Conradt's Crew.  Karen can't compete with Mulkey, so Karen's gotta go after this season...

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

CDC has to outmaneuver Plonsky & Conradt's Crew.  Karen can't compete with Mulkey, so Karen's gotta go after this season...

Perhaps I am wrong but I do not see P&C attempting the political games they have in the past once CDC decides it's time. Plonsky has accepted that she is at a different stage of her life and with Jody, they'll always be taken care of. 

28 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Perhaps I am wrong but I do not see P&C attempting the political games they have in the past once CDC decides it's time. Plonsky has accepted that she is at a different stage of her life and with Jody, they'll always be taken care of. 

Yeah maybe just a little naive...  Texas Women's Basketball has some BIG political hurdles that CDC will have to overcome to get rid of Karen. 

Plonsky moving to the side was one of CDC's first chess moves in Texas Women's Athletics.  Getting Connie to step aside was CDC bringing out his queen to take a rook.  Now the board is much more challenging to be successful and remove Aston.  There are some powerbrokers in WBB that support Karen and won't just step aside easily and go quietly into the night.

If Karen's team

• finishes 3rd or worse this year, or
  • underperforms in the post-season, or 
  • loses too many home games like this past year... then 

firing Karen in March 2020 hopefully won't be difficult for CDC.  

Aston is a good recruiter.   But as a P5 Head WBB Coach she is just another example of the Peter Principle.  

• Like 4

18 hours ago, torre said:

Don't closely follow WBB,  but pretty certain you are correct.

JC had a huge say in Gail's replacement and chose one of her former assistants.  Meaning she has buy-in from JC and the JC-era players and alumni fans who are now the big donors.  That is why Karen won't be fired so easily.  The Exes like her. 

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

JC had a huge say in Gail's replacement and chose one of her former assistants.  Meaning she has buy-in from JC and the JC-era players and alumni fans who are now the big donors.  That is why Karen won't be fired so easily.  The Exes like her. 

giphy.gif

The political obstacles in Texas WBB also include some newer younger folks that are extremely hungry for more power and influence over the University.  

Unless Karen makes some huge mistake (like NCAA violations, DWI, etc) then CDC firing her will be much more difficult than handling Connie's departure.

Edited by LTtxfan

12 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

giphy.gif

The political obstacles in Texas WBB also include some newer younger folks that are extremely hungry for more power and influence over the University.  

Unless Karen makes some huge mistake (like NCAA violations, DWI, etc) then CDC firing her will be much more difficult than handling Connie's departure.

Not questioning, per se, but the older power brokers that support(ed) Jody back in the day and now support Aston by proxy make a certain amount of sense as having retrenched power/influence when WBB was relevant and the women's athletic department was semi-powerful.

How did these youngsters acquire power/influence in a WBB program that's been mostly irrelevant for the last 20 years?

4 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

crash fail GIFAston’s basketball program right now

I’ve been watching this for several minutes trying to understand what makes her legs fly up when she first hits the handlebars.  It doesn’t appear that the seat kicks her up with a bump or anything like that.  I can’t figure it out. 

13 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I’ve been watching this for several minutes trying to understand what makes her legs fly up when she first hits the handlebars.  It doesn’t appear that the seat kicks her up with a bump or anything like that.  I can’t figure it out. 

I'm thinking that about 75% of her weight shifting to the front of the bike might have something to do with it...imho.

2 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

I'm thinking that about 75% of her weight shifting to the front of the bike might have something to do with it...imho.

Of course but it’s the suddenness of the upward motion that’s got me puzzled.  It’s not your normal “tumble over the handlebars” motion (which I have done).  She appears to accelerate up faster than she came down.  I think what’s going on is as she comes down she is depressing the front shocks, and when they bottom out she bounces and the shocks uncoil and drive her up.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sandlot said:

What player problems would those be I would like to know?

Sedona leaves after a RS year
The silence from Texas regarding Routt all of last season and during the offseason
Martinez disappearing from the roster
Boothe leaving, Patterson leaving, Littleton leaving
Deja Kelly being a lifelong Texas fan and decommitting

I guess if you live under a rock, you've had no idea. 

• Like 1

I guess 95% of WBB programs have player problems then if you want to point out NON starters transferring and what does the “silence” of Shae Routt have to do with anything she’s still on the team? Or a recruit that committed to a school when she was in the 7th grade ultimately changing her mind in Kelly. I learned long ago not to speculate on things that I know absolutely nothing about.

Edited by Sandlot

No disrespect to Shae Routt but I don’t understand the angst or obsession with her that some Texas wbb fan have. I know she’s a legacy but anytime there’s not a specific press release on a player I always assume that it’s a personal matter. But I just don’t understand some going crazy over the “silence”.

18 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Her feet hit the rear tire?

1 hour ago, Sandlot said:

No disrespect to Shae Routt but I don’t understand the angst or obsession with her that some Texas wbb fan have. I know she’s a legacy but anytime there’s not a specific press release on a player I always assume that it’s a personal matter. But I just don’t understand some going crazy over the “silence”.

It's certainly common for a player to leave a program, but it's not normal for the sheer number of players that are transferring out, decommitting, or quitting this offseason from Texas WBB. See js's post for reference. That's a sign of a struggling program, and Aston is spearheading it.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

It's certainly common for a player to leave a program, but it's not normal for the sheer number of players that are transferring out, decommitting, or quitting this offseason from Texas WBB. See js's post for reference. That's a sign of a struggling program, and Aston is spearheading it.

How many of those players were starters or played significant minutes? And what players are “quitting” the team? Like I said, what you discussed  is going on/ happening at the majority of wbb programs  including the current elite teams. 

Edited by Sandlot

On 8/8/2019 at 8:40 AM, Js1 said:

Sedona leaves after a RS year
The silence from Texas regarding Routt all of last season and during the offseason
Martinez disappearing from the roster
Boothe leaving, Patterson leaving, Littleton leaving
Deja Kelly being a lifelong Texas fan and decommitting

I guess if you live under a rock, you've had no idea. 

Great post... Thanks for the details!!  

Here's a partial recap of some disappointments from the Ladyhorns 2018-2019 Season:

• Finishing 3rd in the B12 last season with a 12-6 record -- BULLSHIT. 
  •  Losing home games to West Virginia, K-State and Iowa State -- BULLSHIT. 
  • Losing 1st Rd Game in NCAA's -- BULLSHIT
  • Not finding a way to compete with Mulkey and her Waco crew is BULLSHIT.  
  • Reminder 2/25/2019 -- Baylor 64  Ladyhorns 35... HUMILIATING BULLSHIT

Karen can recruit but she is not a good P5 WBB Head Coach...  She is just another good example of the "Peter Principle"

55 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Great post... Thanks for the details!!  

Here's a partial recap of some disappointments from the Ladyhorns 2018-2019 Season:

• Finishing 3rd in the B12 last season with a 12-6 record -- BULLSHIT. 
  •  Losing home games to West Virginia, K-State and Iowa State -- BULLSHIT. 
  • Losing 1st Rd Game in NCAA's -- BULLSHIT
  • Not finding a way to compete with Mulkey and her Waco crew is BULLSHIT.  
  • Reminder 2/25/2019 -- Baylor 64  Ladyhorns 35... HUMILIATING BULLSHIT

Karen can recruit but she is not a good P5 WBB Head Coach...  She is just another good example of the "Peter Principle"

You mean she finished 3rd in the conference in a year where she basically lost her top 3 leading scorers? Every program in the conference should be disbanded since Baylor kicks everyone’s ass EVERY year. The fact of the matter is CDC isn’t getting rid of a winning coach of a wbb program that’s NOT exactly  UConn or Tennessee. 

Edited by Sandlot

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

I can’t tell if sandlot is standing up for the program or believes that Karen is the right choice to head our program and can lead us to championships.

I think that the team will have a better year if healthy but unless Coach Aston has improved/ implemented better offense they’re only going to get but so far. I also believe that unless she completely misses the tournament(which probably won’t happen) CDC isn’t going to fire a winning coach of a program that doesn’t have the history of a UConn or Tennessee that he could easily justify the firing like with Holly Warlick. 

Edited by Sandlot
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Sandlot said:

I think that the team will have a better year if healthy but unless Coach Aston has improved/ implemented better offense they’re only going to get but so far. I also believe that unless she completely misses the tournament(which probably won’t happen) CDC isn’t going to fire a winning coach of a program that doesn’t have the history of a UConn or Tennessee that he could easily justify the firing like with Holly Warlick. 

If you listen to the old guard we do have the history of UConn and Tennessee. Jody and Gail were Gods gift to WBB. Innovators of their time!

• Like 1