Texas women's basketball '18-19

texasstrong12

I can't help but think we are going to be better defensively without Brooke. I hate to say that but we just have so much more length on the perimeter now and it showed last night. We've always struggled to defend the three point line and we did a pretty good job of defending it last night against a team that likes to shoot threes. 

I also think playing Underwood at the 4 helps us from a defensive perspective. The two big lineup creates problems when you have to switch but Underwood is really a 3 playing the 4 so it gives us more versatility on the defensive end. 

I hope Aston sticks with this smaller lineup even when we get healthy. There will obviously be games (Baylor) where we will have to go bigger but playing Underwood at the 4 gives us so much more versatility. 

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

So I didn't get to see the game. From what I can gather:

Higgs will continue to be a monster
Sug isn't going to be the scorer Brooke was but she was facilitated well (almost 10 assists and would have had closer to 13-14 if Danni had hit shots?)
Littleton can put the ball in the bucket
Danni had a bad night - all shooters do
Jatarie dbl/dbl
Collier picked up too many cheap fouls and fouled out?

How did Chaz, Jada and Warren/Joanne look?

Aborrowa has a good looking shot now. She hit a beautiful turnaround in the game that was nothing but nylon I kid you not

Chasity Patterson announced she's transferring. Not surprising at all after last year and watching the opener. Higgs, Sutton and Littleton were getting minutes at point over Littleton. 

For whatever reason Patterson wasn't a fit with Aston. 

I think the moral of the story here is stop recruiting tiny guards. 

I saw that coming after the opener. Patterson only got 9 minutes in a complete blowout. All the FR got more minutes except for Allen-Taylor and she played about the same amount of minutes as Patterson. 

When I saw Littleton running point over Patterson I knew she was gone. 

Patterson is a legit scorer but if you don't play defense and have a shit shot selection you won't play for Aston. 

Edited by texasstrong12

7 hours ago, Js1 said:

And that's all for 2019, as Endiya Rogers chose USC.  Barring a transfer or JUCO.

They're looking at an Australian guard. Isabel Palmer. She's played on the JR Australian teams with or most recent Australian signee Hannan. 

She reminds me a lot of fellow Australian Kristi Wallace. 

Edited by texasstrong12

20 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

Do you know how many waivers UT would have to get to do that from the NCAA? 

Also, why would we disrupt volleyball for a basketball game? 

No. How many?

how many volleyball games are even left? When do they practice?  Can’t fit 2-5 games in there somewhere?

16 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

No. How many?

how many volleyball games are even left? When do they practice?  Can’t fit 2-5 games in there somewhere?

Multiple for both men and women.  And the NCAA doesn't give out waivers lightly.  As I've mentioned before both on this site (shaggy) and others, you can't just plop down and play a regulation basketball game in Gregory just because.  The court, backboards, electronic equipment, etc. all have to meet the NCAA regulations for both men and women.  That isn't the case in Gregory, and the university would have to spend money to get this completed (unnecessary waste) or apply for waivers.  But the NCAA isn't giving a waiver without a good reason, especially when there is an up to code arena sitting right there in the FEC.  

I get it--the FEC sucks.  I'm on board with this.  But this fan dream (and the "i know the solution because i"m smart and the athletic department isn't!" attitude) needs just a tad bit more logic. 

Gregory is fitted for volleyball.  The athletic department did that specifically for them.  The reason we do the orange/white games in gregory is because squad scrimmages aren't regulated by the ncaa.  You could probably even play an exhibition game in there too if you really wanted to. 

And volleyball has the end of the season and playoffs.  I wouldn't want to displace them going into playoffs for a meaningless OOC November basketball game. That would suck for them.

4 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

I would also argue this is the reason the new arena is going to be smaller/more cozy and actually configured for basketball. 

I undertstand the ncaa bs, if we wanted to play at GG we would. The ncaa would not stop us, we would print a waiver and send it to them for a rubber stamp. CDC is trying but we'll see what they actually build. Any arena is smaller/more cozy than the drum. 

Edited by Goodman

16 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Looks like ISU will be a pest at Hilton again. They just crushed #24 Miami there today

OU lost to USF, who lost their best player to an ACL.

Big 12 is now 30-2 to start the year (OU and Tech each have a loss, everyone else is undefeated)

We play Quinnipiac Friday at 5 ET, then the winner of Missouri/Michigan Saturday 7:30 ET and then the winner of the other side of the bracket (99% probably Duke) at 7:30 ET Sunday.

This is a really good chance to pick up at least 2 quality wins - Michigan or Mizzou and then Duke. Michigan and Duke are RV and Mizzou is #16.  I think we want Mizzou and Duke, because Mizzou is ranked and Duke will probably end with a high RPI because they play in the ACC and also have 2 more top10 teams on their OOC schedule.

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

OU lost to USF, who lost their best player to an ACL.

Big 12 is now 30-2 to start the year (OU and Tech each have a loss, everyone else is undefeated)

We play Quinnipiac Friday at 5 ET, then the winner of Missouri/Michigan Saturday 7:30 ET and then the winner of the other side of the bracket (99% probably Duke) at 7:30 ET Sunday.

This is a really good chance to pick up at least 2 quality wins - Michigan or Mizzou and then Duke. Michigan and Duke are RV and Mizzou is #16.  I think we want Mizzou and Duke, because Mizzou is ranked and Duke will probably end with a high RPI because they play in the ACC and also have 2 more top10 teams on their OOC schedule.

missouri dropped (still ranked) after losing to Green Bay at home.