2019-20 NCAA basketball season thread

Machinator

Wisemann withdraws lawsuit and is ineligible. In an effort to be reinstated. He got 50% of what KU’s De Sousa got and de Sousa was suspended for 2 years by the ncaa and KU hit with an NOA. It’ll be interesting to see if Memphis gets an NOA and wisemann be suspended for 1 year. Based on what happened at GTech with the coach and Jarrett jack (gave cam reddish $350 lap dance and had to disassociate with the school for 3 years) then Penny should be given at least a 3 year show cause. 

All of this is of course based on precedent. But then again the NCAA stated they will not rule on any cases until after the season... will they in this case because a star player and big money is on the line? Does the ncaa have any integrity to their word and process or only to the dollar? Find out next season on “we don’t give a fuck we’re incompetent”... or... find out in 3 days on the hit show “let’s sweep this one under the rug because we Painted ourselves into a corner so let’s just give him his eligibility”. 

What a fucking shit show the ncaa is. 

just read a timeline of the wiseman recruitment and playing the last 3 years. There is not a chance in hell he should be playing college ball, especially in Memphis. 

Another issue that is being tossed around is that the ncaa already cleared him. The initial clearance is just a graded and tests clearance from the clearinghouse. There is no way they could deep dive every athlete so they speed up the process by reading submission paperwork. If rules are later found to be broken it was never going to be seen by the original clearance. 

Once again, Memphis should be hammered and wiseman shouldn’t be eligible. 

45 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Maybe it's the Pollyanna in me but this is more of a Penny issue than a Wiseman issue.  Suspend Penny for a season but let the kid play, Penny not to have any contact with the team for the duration of his suspension.   

I would 100% be behind that.... BUT... they got de Sousa for 2 years over 20k. Wiseman took 11,500. He should get a year if the ncaa is being level as they promise. Also, Jarrett Jack got 3 years over $350 for a recruit when he was a booster. By that guideline penny should get 32 years of disassociation. Further, the booster designation smoked KU with LOIC. Penny donated $1M to the school just years before he gave money to wiseman. No way you can argue that the school shouldn’t be punished.

Is that outlandish? Yep. But the ncaa said they were going to crack down fairly and evenly across the sport. 

So what is it NCAA? My guess is they pop him for 8-10 games (as they should) and nothing happens to the school or penny. 

This is why the NCAA should be abolished and the rules 100% rewritten. It just doesn’t work anymore because money is clouding the judgement.

Edited by Jhawk

Seton and sparty going at it. Cassius Winston has this Kyle Lowry thing going on. Doesn’t seem dominant, scores when he needs to, is kinda fat, but is more mature than anyone in the game so he seems like he would make a solid NBA player. I can actually see him having an identical career arc. 

Powell just didn’t have enough. Probably a foul on setons 3rd to last possession. No call on Powell’s weak drive was the right call. 

I’m not seeing any team that is even near “elite” at this point in the season. Going to be fun to watch teams develop all year. I think every fan base in America is going to be very frustrated at some point between now and March. 

1 minute ago, UpperWestside said:

This is enjoyable to watch. Must be a bit odd for Gilder playing against his old teammates though in the arena he played in for three seasons.

I didn't even realize Gilder went to Gonzaga until you pointed it out. He has to be thrilled to be coached by someone who likes winning 

20 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I didn't even realize Gilder went to Gonzaga until you pointed it out. He has to be thrilled to be coached by someone who likes winning 

Oh I would imagine that he is thoroughly enjoying playing for Few instead of Kennedy. After sitting out last year due to blood clots I believe this has to be fun starting for the Zags and playing meaningful games again for a team that runs a beautiful offense. 

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, UpperWestside said:

Oh I would imagine that he is thoroughly enjoying playing for Few instead of Kennedy. 

Even the new hire of Buzz couldn't inspire him, apparently. I can't blame the kid, it would be hard to turn down the Zags. They own their conference, and regularly make the tourney. That kid has absolutely zero regrets. 

36 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Shooters touch. 

It was like watching Kawhi Leonard bounce shot against Philly if he were a slender looking distance runner who you might mistake for a 30 year old playing in a rec league. Great shot though and a well earned road win.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Like 1