2019-20 NCAA basketball season thread

Machinator

I know everyone hates Duke, but the ESPN special "The Class That Saved Coach K"  is pretty good. About the class of 86 and their rise to the championship game in 86. Yeah, there's a decent amount of Coach K fellatio, but its a good watch, especially if you remember that era of hoops, which is really when I started watching college ball as a kid. 

Tried watching that but fell asleep, will catch the rerun that I'm sure will be soon.  There was a time I felt bad for K, sort of like the Cowboys of old of always being the Bridesmaids and never the Bride until they broke through with SB6 / '91 NCAAT.  I know for damn sure I was pulling for Duke in '86 Finals. 

ANNNNNND Wiseman gets 11 games.  Took money directly from the coach and gets 11 games.  Took half the money as SDS and gets approximately 17% of the punishment.  I want to spin this as the NCAA is doing KU a favor in their fight against the NOA in that we now have fodder to lob against them in their punishments, but I know that this is more about the NCAA just wanting the #1 draft pick on the floor as much as possible.

I'm so fucking sick of this shit.

I really have no fucking clue where this UF team winds up.  Adding Blackshear should have been an great addition to what was a really good freshman class last year in Nembhard, Locke, and Johnson.  Scottie Lewis is an athletic 5* freak as well, and we finally have depth down low with Payne, Bassett, Gak (if he ever gets healthy), and Jitoboh.  Number 6 was probably a stretch for preseason ranking but 10-15 was realistic based on what they were returning and adding a 20/10 guy like Blackshear.  Instead, they have been a bag of shit. 

I think a big part of it is trying so hard to play through Blackshear, it seems like they are just trying to space everyone out and give him room down low.  The problem is our shooters arent really long and are easy to close out, so Blackshear has to work through doubles, and our shooters are taking bad shots late in the shot clock.  Blackshear got tossed for an elbow yesterday and our offense seemed to work better.  KJ had a career day, Nembhard and Locke were both in double figures.  That seemed to carry into today against Miami, but it could be just a really shitty Miami team.  Ill need to see more to believe that they turned the corner.  

Locke has been the biggest loser in the Blackshear addition so far.  Dude went from setting the freshman record for 3s at UF (not too shabby with some of the shooters we have had come through here) on almost 40% shooting to under 30% so far this year.  You would think with Mike White's background that guard-play and shooting would be the one thing that would be semi-reliable, but so far he seems to be killing a guy like Locke with the sets hes throwing out there this year.  

Just now, Js1 said:

This feels very rigged. Wow. 

This game is above the level of 2 of the 3 officials. 

The problem is those 2 officials are making most of the calls, and they aren't *checks notes* good. 

Bryan Dorsey has barely blown his whistle because he has the experience and knows this is a game where you let them play unless it's OBVIOUS.

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Utah St. overcame a damn near 20pt deficit to comeback and win one over LSU in the Jamaica Classic.  

Yeah, some horseshit calls in this Duke/GU game.  

Dakich needs to be Bilas' replacement, about as solid as they come. 

It seems you either get dakich or love him. I’m a big fan but a lot of people think he is The whiny Van gundi of college ball

I'm not a big fan of Dakich, but I did appreciate the point he made about the differences between the NBA and College ball when it comes to the midrange game. It was a very good point that I haven't heard made during a broadcast broadcast before. The rules of the college game make utilization of the mid range a necessary aspect due to not having any sort of illegal defense rules that restrict help side D. 

Stanford preseason #10 in PAC12 rankings... But they will be undefeated at 7-0 with Win tonight.  Freshmen they have playing are whipping blOU right now 68-46 with 5 minutes remaining...  17-0 run early set up this beatdown though.

Butler will play Tree in "Hall of Fame Classic Finals"

Edited by LTtxfan

And how could I forget that our National Treasure is out in paradise working the Maui Invitational. 

Pasch has resisted, so far, smoking any weed with Bill.  He'll give in at some point.  For now, Walton will just smoke enough for both of them, and will also go on the air just after doing so.