2019-20 NCAA basketball season thread

Machinator

Burton and Stevenson were huge contributors, Sherfield played a ton of minutes and Fernandes was playing more and more.  The first 3 are huge losses, no doubt about it.  I'm sure Marshall isn't easy to play for, but gdamnit he's gotten 3 guards to the NBA in the past 5 years.  2 are getting great PT.  Kids need thicker skin imo

https://247sports.com/college/wichita-state/Season/2020-Basketball/TransferPortal/

I agree about JB and NF but Eric's helicopter dad made everybody miserable. I think that had more to do with JB leaving and Dennis taking a break than Marshall's barking. Marshall could have done a better job of cowboying all those egos and hurt feelings. Sherfield had UCLAitis. He thought he was too good to play in the AAC but the results didn't show it. His lack of hustle after making a turnover pissed me off no end. Fernandes was skilled but way too short and light to be more than a backup PG. I loved the intensity he brought to defense but he couldn't muscle up on anybody. Busse was wasting his time at the end of the bench but I'm sure he learned a lot from being in the practices. He could tear it up at Northern Iowa or Loyola. Fuck ES and all of his me-first bullshit. Good riddance.

On 3/19/2020 at 8:46 AM, Shoxthemonkey said:

I agree about JB and NF but Eric's helicopter dad made everybody miserable. I think that had more to do with JB leaving and Dennis taking a break than Marshall's barking. Marshall could have done a better job of cowboying all those egos and hurt feelings. Sherfield had UCLAitis. He thought he was too good to play in the AAC but the results didn't show it. His lack of hustle after making a turnover pissed me off no end. Fernandes was skilled but way too short and light to be more than a backup PG. I loved the intensity he brought to defense but he couldn't muscle up on anybody. Busse was wasting his time at the end of the bench but I'm sure he learned a lot from being in the practices. He could tear it up at Northern Iowa or Loyola. Fuck ES and all of his me-first bullshit. Good riddance.

I got no problem with Marshall's coaching style.  It's the same way I got coached when I played too.  Life ain't easy, you're getting a free education to play a fucking game...deal with it.  These guys will miss the fans here, they won't get the same love elsewhere.  Saw Sherfield signed with Alford again.

• Like 1

I think that most coaches are going to scan parent's social media carefully before they offer a kid. JB and ES had family members that loved to stir the pot. I wasn't aware of Burton's sister until Markis Mcduffie tweeted about it. Wasn't as bad as Stevenson's dad but it soured the relationship between JB and Marshall so maybe it was. I'm really curious to see where these kids land. Nevada isn't a step up and if Grant thinks Alford is a better coach than Marshall, good for him. Burton has been contacted by some B10 schools but I'll fall over if he signs with one. The rest are going to end up at small D1 schools closer to home according to my sources. Busse went to Metro in Denver for crissakes.  2 hours from home. Not sure it's even D1.

The program will survive in spite of some of our knee-jerk fans. The two BMDs that I have slim connections to are all in on Marshall. The portal has a lot of players better than the ones that left. Maybe Marshall can snag a few.

8 total players (7 scholarship) gone from WSU. Doesn’t sound like a player problem to me. Sounds like coach lost the team and they all said fuck it. Also, transfers rarely trade up to go to a better program usually lateral at best. When you have walk ons leave that isn’t a sign that they want to play at a bigger school or think they deserve more PT. It means the culture is toxic. Given that WSU can’t even scrimmage right now if it was allowable I’d say this isn’t players being soft or bitching to bitch. The program is ok life support at this point. 

The Marshall plan doesn't fit for a star player, never has, never will.  If someone has a big night, so be it.  But most of the time, the points and minutes are spread out pretty fucking evenly.  He knows he doesn't have all-world players and knows he never will.  But he will beat you with depth because his best players don't play 40 minutes so they're fresh when he needs them.  He just signed 6 players over the weekend, so he's not hurting.  It's the loss of team chemistry that sucks.  But if you've got a cancer and you don't cut it out, it tends to grow even deeper in time...thus the 8 defects imo.  The last one makes the least sense, that kid is a brick wall and that's about it.  He has enough talent to play NAIA at best so I have no idea why he's leaving.  He was a project from day one.  Good kid, just don't know what he's thinking. 

I got zero problem with what Marshall expects out of his players.  Its the same that coaches expected from me.  If you can't deal with someone pushing you to be your best and potentially getting in your face about it when you're not giving it everything you've got, then good luck with reality once you're done playing college basketball.

The world needs ditch diggers too.

Edited by mulletpelini
everybody gets a trophy woohhoooooo!!
  • Like 2

Six new guys in one week?  Impressive no matter what their skill level.  That being said, hopefully they have some skill or it is going to be a long 3-4 years for Marshall to put back together a competent team.  Will be interesting to watch over the next few years.  Marshall is definitely in a position where he is going to have to prove how good of a coach he is.