2019-20 NCAA basketball season thread

Machinator

4 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Decent slate of games tonight as the regular season comes to a close. 

Chance to watch Aggie lose at Auburn.

I wouldn't mind seeing TCU lose at Kansas.

Nova at Seton Hall on FS1 is probably best game of the night.

Dayton at Rhode Island is not too bad either.

Florida State at Notre Dame might be fun, if Domers lose.

17 minutes ago, ss13 said:

Aggy gonna get the road W. 

I’ve jinxed everyone tonight

41 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

This is the day that @mulletpelini and I do an internet high five and rejoice that we aren't on our way to St Louis. Laughing my ass of at Ill State in a play- in game tonight. They and their coach proclaimed they would dominate the Valley after WSU and Creighton were gone. Feels good, Man.

Arch Madness was always appointment viewing. 

10 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

This is the day that @mulletpelini and I do an internet high five and rejoice that we aren't on our way to St Louis. Laughing my ass of at Ill State in a play- in game tonight. They and their coach proclaimed they would dominate the Valley after WSU and Creighton were gone. Feels good, Man.

Last time I went there I got food poisoning.  Fuck that place, it's tried to kill me 3 times.  It should be in Louisiana, but its Mizzery so whats the difference.  Fuck the redbirds too

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Last time I went there I got food poisoning.  Fuck that place, it's tried to kill me 3 times.  It should be in Louisiana, but its Mizzery so whats the difference.  Fuck the redbirds too

Fucking St. Louis.  You had 1 job.  

• Like 2

UK may not win this but they've made a great run to get back into this game having to deal with the drama from their PG who has gone AWOL of sorts. 

And they get the reverse on GT call and force a turnover from UF, up 1 wit less than 5 ticks left. 

Edited by Underdog

anybody else see the Hampton coach's reaction to the inadvertent whistle call? my mom was watching too and said, "that's need to be made into a reaction gif." shit was pretty funny. 

screw it, i rewound it and uploaded it:

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

anybody else see the Hampton coach's reaction to the inadvertent whistle call? my mom was watching too and said, "that's need to be made into a reaction gif." shit was pretty funny. 

screw it, i rewound it and uploaded it:

That is awesome. I would tag with "When I get to the front of Panda Express line and they just ran out of orange chicken"

• Like 1

On March 7, 2020 at 8:20 PM, Sbbruin said:

That was a dagger.  And he broke the all time SC 3 pt record with that shot.  We’re gonna need a win in the P12 tourney.

I thought they said he set a new record with the previous three. Either way, I'd never heard of that Mathews kid and never watched a USC game all season. I had no dog in that fight. But it was fun to see him sink that big shot on senior night. 

Cronin named P12 COY

rom Pac-12.com:

In his first season heading UCLA men's basketball, Mick Cronin has been named the 2020 Pac-12 Coach of the Year. The Bruins went 19-12, including 12-6 in conference play, en route to a 2-seed in the upcoming Pac-12 Tournament. UCLA improved by three games over last season's 9-9 mark in Pac-12 games. Cronin's Bruins — who were picked eighth in the preseason media poll — came back from a 7-6 non-conference mark and 1-3 league start to finish second in the Pac-12 standings just a game behind predicted champion Oregon. It is Cronin’s third career conference Coach of the Year award along with the Ohio Valley in 2006 and The American in 2014.

i was calling for Cronin to replace Shaka, what, 2-2.5 years ago? Always liked him. Good coach. Hard nosed. Reminds me of (he who shall not be named). Good for him. and UCLA. CBB is more fun when there's at least one west coast program worth following. because jesus the Pac 12 is garbage. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Buzz Williams is the AP SEC Coach of The Year selection.

Which in hindsight looks completely improbable the way his team was imploding at the start of the season, even losing to the likes of Fairfield and Harvard, and scraping by ULM and Troy and A&M-Corpus Christi.

Kind-of excited again to follow aggie basketball, tbh.  I'm sure they'll rise up to the occasion of hurting me by losing most unexpectedly in any post-season invitational tournament next season (not getting into any this season, i'm betting).

1 hour ago, PHLaggie said:

Buzz Williams is the AP SEC Coach of The Year selection.

Which in hindsight looks completely improbable the way his team was imploding at the start of the season, even losing to the likes of Fairfield and Harvard, and scraping by ULM and Troy and A&M-Corpus Christi.

Kind-of excited again to follow aggie basketball, tbh.  I'm sure they'll rise up to the occasion of hurting me by losing most unexpectedly in any post-season invitational tournament next season (not getting into any this season, i'm betting).

Lost to 8 seed Pokes in your own building, lol. Good luck watching that fat fuck flop.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Lost to 8 seed Pokes in your own building, lol. Good luck watching that fat fuck flop.

certainly a weak team this year, lacks overpowering skill players, but he has changed his style to fit the talent he has and then it's taken the better part of the season but he seems to have squeezed as much talent as can be possible out of this group to where they're peaking now, towards the end of the season.  that's probably mark of a good coach, though it's a limited data set to go by (then again, he did well at Va Tech as well, another not-basketball-school program).

I'm expecting they'll may be win against Mizzou but lose to Auburn in the SEC tourney, thus likely ending the season too. But gotta be excited about the talent he is signing. 2021 is some ways away but:
https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Season/2021-Basketball/Commits/

Edited by PHLaggie

3 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

certainly a weak team this year, lacks overpowering skill players, but he has changed his style to fit the talent he has and then it's taken the better part of the season but he seems to have squeezed as much talent as can be possible out of this group to where they're peaking now, towards the end of the season.  that's probably mark of a good coach, though it's a limited data set to go by (then again, he did well at Va Tech as well, another not-basketball-school program).

I'm expecting they'll may be win against Mizzou but lose to Auburn in the SEC tourney, thus likely ending the season too. But gotta be excited about the talent he is signing. 2021 is some ways away but:
https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Season/2021-Basketball/Commits/

Pretty much the Pokes exactly. We're 7-3 down the stretch losing only road games against highly ranked KU, BU, and ranked resurging WVU. We can win tonight's play-in game and might give KU a game, but we very likely won't win. Our surge has at least put is in the NIT most likely, but we never play well in the NIT, ever. Eddie turned down an NIT invite once and we have looked like shit in every NIT game since.

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Pretty much the Pokes exactly. We're 7-3 down the stretch losing only road games against highly ranked KU, BU, and ranked resurging WVU. We can win tonight's play-in game and might give KU a game, but we very likely won't win. Our surge has at least put is in the NIT most likely, but we never play well in the NIT, ever. Eddie turned down an NIT invite once and we have looked like shit in every NIT game since.

ya'll had some close and well competed games, you just ran out of time (haha aggie joke), so maybe you are ahead of schedule in terms of turning it around.  A&M has had blowout losses against better talented competition and even some middling ones that we didn't match up well against, such as South Carolina and even frickin Georgia in their house.  But unlike football, basketball can be turned almost on a dime if you can get some decent talent.

On 3/5/2020 at 2:56 PM, Underdog said:

Opening Rds are playing in Albany this year and I'd like to go but then would be missing out on all the other action around the tournament.  

Well this won't be an issue as of now, watch UK get selected for the Albany site.  If so, I'll get a Temp job at the Times Union Center. 

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the tourney is just cancelled at this point now that the NBA has halted games. Fans or no fans, you're asking teams to fly around the country, stay in hotels etc... I'm not advocating for it, because I suspect I'll get the work at home order soon, but I think there's a pretty good chance that will be the final call.