Cracked windshield

XYZ

Living in Wise County, I've had to replace several windshields (thanks, rock trucks). After a horrible experience with a local AAA#1 glass guy, I've used Safelite ever since.They do a great job and the price is reasonable. They do excellent chip repair, too.

If it's longer than a dollar bill ,  it's replacement time.

Google is your friend as far as finding a shop with a good rep.   But like RPM noted, Safellite is a good safe choice and for a few extra bucks, they will come to your office or home and do the work.  A few other shops do that as well, but the guarantee that goes with a franchise like Safelite is good to have if you are moving around and have an issues with the seal.

call at least 3 different companies, also the bells/whistles of your windshield will be a big player on how expensive it is. I called a few of the big shops like safelite, they wanted something crazy like $300, called another big name and they said $225, 3rd one said $200ish. Buddy of mine gave me a rec (dfw) of some random old guy in an old ass truck who came to my office and did it for $125. 

9 hours ago, bluto said:

call at least 3 different companies, also the bells/whistles of your windshield will be a big player on how expensive it is. I called a few of the big shops like safelite, they wanted something crazy like $300, called another big name and they said $225, 3rd one said $200ish. Buddy of mine gave me a rec (dfw) of some random old guy in an old ass truck who came to my office and did it for $125. 

This has been my experience as well.  Safelite is sometimes $100 more than anyone else.  

I've only had to do it once and it turns out my insurance covered one full replacement per car per year...but only through Safelite. They did a fine job and used what appears to be OEM glass. They half-ass reattached the windshield wiper sensor though which has been annoying to fix.

5 minutes ago, Okie State said:

I've only had to do it once and it turns out my insurance covered one full replacement per car per year...but only through Safelite. They did a fine job and used what appears to be OEM glass. They half-ass reattached the windshield wiper sensor though which has been annoying to fix.

I've replaced probably six  windshields between two vehicles in the last five  years thanks to a lot of small rocks and other crap on our roads due to the oil field and other activity.    I've used Safelite and a few other shops and they all offer OEM's first and that is what your insurance will cover.  But they will get the factory glass if you insist such as the one Ford has for the F-150 which has the Ford logo on it above the rear view and you will have to pay the difference.

With one of the jobs Safelite did, the seal didn't quite take and they came right out and replaced the whole windshield and seal at no cost.  

I’ve had a few replaced in Dallas by a mobile company that comes to your house and does it in about 45 minutes. Replaced my Tahoe windshield for $170. Matches my previous windshield exactly. Very pleased.

The guy/company was recommended by my local auto shop. Ask around to people who would know but avoid the dealerships at all cost.

• 2 months later...

I haven’t had much luck with any place repairing a windshield.  If it’s in your line of vision you get this weird, distracting refraction thing that will also sometimes shoot sunlight into the cabin at odd angles.  And for me, both times the crack continued to expand a few weeks after repair so I just replaced it the whole thing in the end.

We did this dance last month on my wife’s car. I usually go OEM for peace of mind and  resale purposes, but this time the dealer wanted $2700. The local “glass place” wanted $800, which was better, but Safelite came out and replaced it in an hour for $330.  Heard good things about Binzwanger and Apple glass, but they were in the $500 range.  

No issues so far.  As I understand it, the biggest problem with using a non-OEM windshield company is that your rain-sensing wipers stop working.  For her they work fine.  

I've got a crack on the passenger side.  A nice semi-circle that is expanding to the edge about the size of a grapefruit.  It's not my sight line.  It's a 2013 F-150 with 80k miles.  New windshield is $450.  Even the repair guy said "Shit, id just drive this unless you really want to blow $450"  

Edited by midtown

Auto glass solutions 512 997-7877 Off Burnet road up north.  Did my last one and I need to get my Expedition done and happened to get a quote yesterday.  Glass and install was $225, perhaps rubber seal for another $25.  Not sure how it compares to others but seemed fair and they got me in and out fast last go round with the appointment. 

is it dangerous to drive with a crack?  picked one up on 35 a couple weeks ago.  started off as a bb sized spiderweb crack towards the bottom middle of the windshield, and now it's grown to probably a foot long semi-circle pointing towards the hood.  it's not in my line of sight though and i forget it's there most of the time.  

• 3 years later...

Timely bump...  Bought a used SUV w/ a tiny rock crack (1mmx1mm) that I would like to get filled before it expands.  I know my insurance covers the repair, but a friend mentioned that it counts as a claim.  Can anyone confirm/deny that?

2 hours ago, Mittens said:

Timely bump...  Bought a used SUV w/ a tiny rock crack (1mmx1mm) that I would like to get filled before it expands.  I know my insurance covers the repair, but a friend mentioned that it counts as a claim.  Can anyone confirm/deny that?

Here’s what the agent we use said F34256B9-F45D-420E-BAF0-41A46952B065.thumb.png.2ddc0fd4553b8135f7030865884e8a1b.png

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I've always used Affordable Auto Glass at 5920 Hillcroft.  They have always done a great job at a reasonable price.  You have to go there though, they don't come to you.  They'll give you a price over the phone.

This place won out. She said they were significantly cheaper than the other (safelite included) quotes she got. 

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

find a Mexican shop and pay cash 

This was more expensive than the above even with the guy asking for the cash/Zelle route (by about $40)

if the car's self drive cameras see thru the windshield then getting non-specific glass might make them fuck up. 

($65 for wiper blades lol)

I bought some new wiper blades at a store recently (o Reilly I think). They ain’t cheap like they used to be. I spent like $80 on two cars or something. I was surprised

9 hours ago, Elvis said:

Safelite online quote $1070!!!!! 

2019 GMC Sierra AT4

image.thumb.png.30d25fa102c06fd45ccd161e605fc39f.png

I had a really shitty couple of weeks in late Feb that included needing to get my wife's windshield repaired from a crack that made it undrivable but without having any time to deal with it. I put in for an at home replacement from Safelite online. It was so expensive (similar to your quote iirc for a Chrysler Pacifica) that I had to do an insurance claim for it and pay the $500 deductible. Oh well. Service was great though. Gave him my keys told him I was going to be on calls all day and leave the keys in it when done. 

This has been my experience as well.  Safelite is sometimes $100 more than anyone else.  

Gotta pay for those commercials somehow. Last time I did this I just googled it and called a few places and whoever came in with the lowest price and could come out to my house was the winner.
Nope.  Windshields don't shatter.  Its just cosmetic at this point.

Doesn’t it become an inspection issue though?