Apollo 11 - presented by cnn and land rover.

CoTex

It has to be better than the piece of crap series Science Channel is running, basically calling the entire Apollo project a lie.  How in Hell can they run such a fabricated piece of shit series on what is supposed to be educational television?  And I clearly remember sitting on the living room floor watching the live TV most of the night on June 20, 1969.

Edited by AnTiM
added text

1 hour ago, AnTiM said:

And I clearly remember sitting on the living room floor watching the live TV most of the night on June 20, 1969.

July 20, 1969. I was a little space geek, too. I don't remember how I got the shirt, think I sent off box tops, but I digress... I had a t-shirt with a picture of the lunar lander on the moon and said "Tranquility Base, The Eagle has landed!". I wore that shirt every freaking day until it finally faded out and fell apart.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Red Five said:

This isn't the same one that's coming up on PBS right? Also there was just a movie called Apollo 11. 

9 hours ago, usmc0331horn said:

I think this is the movie that came out.

It's the movie that was released back in March.  

I'm *thrilled* that they're playing it for the general public so soon - obviously because of the run-up to next month.  If you didn't see it on the big screen (or IMAX), you really missed out.  It was spectacular there.

The reason this movie was such a big deal is that there was both (1) previously unreleased footage and (2) previously seen footage, but restored from the original 70mm source.  Both resulted in a REALLY impressive visual of what you thought you'd seen before.

I highly recommend the Blu-Ray, if you're going to watch it at home ... $20 or so, and you get a few extras... plus *NO COMMERCIALS*.

8 hours ago, XYZ said:

So, ugh, would it be that difficult to carry some extra fuel so that you can slow down just before re-entry?

Orbital mechanics doesn't work that way.  

Here's a pretty solid explanation for you.  The bottom line is that the reentry corridor was a very thin target energy line that included both position *AND* velocity.

Come in too fast, and you won't hit the right position/altitude and you'll burn up.  Come in too slow, and you'll be too high and skip out.

corridor.jpg

Plus - the Apollo trajectory guys had a really clever way of burning off (no pun intended) some of the excess energy to try to make the final reentry a little more tolerable for the crews...  they actually had a small "skip" planned in the trajectory before final capture:

fig11.jpg

Again - REALLY important to get the initial entry point correct or the whole thing went to shit.

Let's put it this way ... Apollo reentries were "sporty".  :)

• Like 1

We were on vacation in Daytona Beach when it launched, could see it from the beach, everyone stopped what they were doing and watched.  Later we watched the moon walk on tv in Miami.  

DVR'd for later viewing. 

Edited by Underdog

I like that they used little or no narration, other than the actual PA guy from the actual events and the real communications.

But it would be pretty cool to see the whole thing unfold just like we saw it on national TV, replay the whole thing as covered by CBS and NBC. And include the classic and forgotten 60s commercials, too.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

I like that they used little or no narration, other than the actual PA guy from the actual events and the real communications.

But it would be pretty cool to see the whole thing unfold just like we saw it on national TV, replay the whole thing as covered by CBS and NBC. And include the classic and forgotten 60s commercials, too.

Tang and Kellogg's Corn Flakes were big players.

9 hours ago, Underdog said:

We were on vacation in Daytona Beach when it launched, could see it from the beach, everyone stopped what they were doing and watched.  Later we watched the moon walk on tv in Miami.  

DVR'd for later viewing. 

Should have stopped by and said "Hi".  Dad grew up in Daytona and worked for Von Braun.  We went down for the launch. I slept in the back yard of one of his cousins on the river by the Cape.. Still remember looking out the tent flap the night before and seeing the Saturn V lit up for all to see.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, UTCzech III said:

Smithsonian Channel has a series that started last week, Apollo's Moon Shot, watched the first two episodes last week, pretty good stuff as well.

Maybe it was the narrator but I did not like it at all. Turned the channel after 30 minutes.

53 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I hope that on July 20th, some of the major stations re-broadcast their original broadcast from that day.  I think it would be an awesome watch.  

I have a recording from I think the 20th anniversary. Called something like Moonwalk as it Happened. It is basically a rebroadcast of one of the networks feeds. I think it also has the network feed of the launch

53 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

Should have stopped by and said "Hi".  Dad grew up in Daytona and worked for Von Braun.  We went down for the launch. I slept in the back yard of one of his cousins on the river by the Cape.. Still remember looking out the tent flap the night before and seeing the Saturn V lit up for all to see.

Pops was an IBMer, we vacationed every year down in Florida during the IBM summer shutdown, sis was born down in Homestead when pops was stationed down there.  I want to say I have old 8mm home movie converted to DVD of the launch from DB, may have to look for it sometime this week. 

23 hours ago, Brandywine said:

The photography seemed like it was shot yesterday in parts. It was a great documentary. I hope they win the Oscar. 

It struck me how clear and excellent some of the footage was.  

This was a very, very cool show.

One thing I just saw a news blurb on and remembered.  Most people don't realize that several versions of the Saturn were tested in Huntsville ( and with no warning I might add - we lived five miles as the crow flies from the test area and all of sudden your house started shaking and you would hear the rocket motor in the distance). They then had to be shipped to the Cape and that involved a lot of barges and river transport. Dad always had a boat and we passed the transport barge on the Tennessee River a couple of times with various large sections of rockets.

Interesting article on how a dam lock failure caused lots of problems and shows some of the transport barges with components. Several versions of this story say 1961 but it seems odd that something in 1961 would affect 1969 launch. Plus I think it was the Saturn I which became the IB and was used for low earth orbit and not the Saturn V. Still it shows the challenges of getting a rocket to the Cape

https://www.waaytv.com/content/moon-landing-stories/How-a-Collapse-at-Wheeler-Dam-Almost-Delayed-the-Apollo-11-Launch-507425731.html

Edited by AUinHsv

1 hour ago, AUinHsv said:

One thing I just saw a news blurb on and remembered.  Most people don't realize that several versions of the Saturn were tested in Huntsville ( and with no warning I might add - we lived five miles as the crow flies from the test area and all of sudden your house started shaking and you would hear the rocket motor in the distance). They then had to be shipped to the Cape and that involved a lot of barges and river transport. Dad always had a boat and we passed the transport barge on the Tennessee River a couple of times with various large sections of rockets.

Interesting article on how a dam lock failure caused lots of problems and shows some of the transport barges with components. Several versions of this story say 1961 but it seems odd that something in 1961 would affect 1969 launch. Plus I think it was the Saturn I which became the IB and was used for low earth orbit and not the Saturn V. Still it shows the challenges of getting a rocket to the Cape

https://www.waaytv.com/content/moon-landing-stories/How-a-Collapse-at-Wheeler-Dam-Almost-Delayed-the-Apollo-11-Launch-507425731.html

I know the house shaking bit, living about 15 minutes from McGregor provides for some interesting evenings.   It’s sad when you know which engines they’re testing based on noise and duration