Rental house flooded

gentlepeople of surly, seeking your opinions on this matter.

at our rental house, the supply line from the wall to the toilet in the master bathroom (upstairs) failed (plastic connector) and caused water to flow overnight.  the bathroom is tiled.  the water mitigation contractors brought in air movers and dehumidifers to dry the house out (there were no tenants and there's no furniture) but didn't remove the tile from the bathroom.  

our own house has flooded a couple times in different situations.  neither time has our tiled floor been removed.  my sister's place flooded once (fire sprinklers were tripped) and those tiles were replaced.  should i be worried about moisture trapped under the tiles in the subflooring?  

Edited by gsoda3

2nd Story house & water flooded from the 2nd floor down?

What does the ceiling look like from downstairs?   Any abutting rooms where you should check the ceiling in both spaces?

How long was the water going before it was discovered?

Where is the property? (we may be able to assist with repairs)

3 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

2nd Story house & water flooded from the 2nd floor down?

What does the ceiling look like from downstairs?   Any abutting rooms where you should check the ceiling in both spaces?

How long was the water going before it was discovered?

Where is the property? (we may be able to assist with repairs)

water was flowing from the upstairs to the downstairs.  the supply line originated against an exterior wall.  the wall in the room immediately beneath the master bathroom, the paint had bubbled on the wall.  

the house is in dallas so i have no idea what it looks like, my dad's been the only one out there to check on it.  water flowed for at least 2 hours, at most 14 hours.  there was an inch of standing water on the carpet areas downstairs and water was covering the grout on the downstairs tile. 

I posted your situation in a restoration contractor group that I participate in & this was one of the responses:

Clean water. Tile does not have to be pulled if subfloor can be dried from below. Sisters tile could be replaced because of not being able to dry subfloor but most likely the water is fine & won't have any odd minerals in there.

Your sister's sprinkler issue is different, because the water sits there for years... decades without being used.

The number 1 thing they should do is not hire a program vendor [meaning a contractor suggested by the insurer] as they have things they are not allowed to charge for so they do incomplete work. I would also be wary of franchises.

I know this is a delayed response because your situation is a bit more urgent, however I can't get my Tapatalk to work & therefore no phone postings.

Let me know if you need referrals for the Dallas area (& please state what area or community in Dallas we're talking about... Addison?  Wylie?  Garland?  Plano?  Dallas "proper"?).

Edited by ROFL BOX
  • Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 9:49 AM, ROFL BOX said:

I posted your situation in a restoration contractor group that I participate in & this was one of the responses:

I know this is a delayed response because your situation is a bit more urgent, however I can't get my Tapatalk to work & therefore no phone postings.

Let me know if you need referrals for the Dallas area (& please state what area or community in Dallas we're talking about... Addison?  Wylie?  Garland?  Plano?  Dallas "proper"?).

that's really good info, thanks for posting it.  i'll definitely ask if we need recs.

i figured the upstairs tiles in the master bath could be dried from below (they took out the ceiling downstairs and all the drywall on the walls).  would the tile on the ground floor dry out since it's on a concrete slab?  i'm thinking yes?

44 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

that's really good info, thanks for posting it.  i'll definitely ask if we need recs.

i figured the upstairs tiles in the master bath could be dried from below (they took out the ceiling downstairs and all the drywall on the walls).  would the tile on the ground floor dry out since it's on a concrete slab?  i'm thinking yes?

The tile downstairs should be no problem.   Only reason it would come out if installed poorly and you would already have loose or hollow sounding tiles...upstairs can be trickier (depends on what was used to set the tile, but yes it can be dried from below and top sometimes...the contractor will normally give it a couple of days to try and dry and if not making significant progress in drying at 48 hours or so, then pull it...

• Like 1