The Boomers Ruined Everything

TwiceHorn

17 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Of course I do. Cut the Pentagon's budget in half. Tomorrow.

The elephant in the room is that defense spending is a huge employment program, both in the form of the military and in defense contracting.  The good news is that a fair number of defense industry employees should be readily employed elsewhere.  However, a good chunk of them are union labor (think autoworkers).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

The elephant in the room is that defense spending is a huge employment program, both in the form of the military and in defense contracting.  The good news is that a fair number of defense industry employees should be readily employed elsewhere.  However, a good chunk of them are union labor (think autoworkers).

So true.

Across-the-board cuts, adjusted for inflation, of 1 % per department per year, matched by a 1 % increase revenue collected (taxes) until the two lines meet. 

Combine this with cuts to defense spending and I’m all onboard. Love it.

10 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I'm not sure that you can say that it's solely at the hands of boomers, but the millennials have been exploited by the banks, schools, and government in horrific ways.

Graduating college with a debt that would have been a house loan back when I graduated is criminal. Banks make guaranteed loans (no risk. none. it's a feeding trough for banks.) to college students obliged to pay absurdly high tuition and costs to colleges and universities who shamelessly gouge students just because they know that students can easily get loans.

I had two feelings when I returned to the University as an older student:

1. A lot of the University employees seemed to think that they'd have pretty good jobs if there were no students around wasting their time.

2. The University sees the student body as a market more than a body of scholars.

If students can't pay their debts, it doesn't become a bad loan that the bank must take their lumps over. No. The debt is paid by citizens through taxes. Hello millennials, we're all retiring now, so good luck paying off everybody else's exploitive debts!

I think the actual culprits in the exploitation described here are the usual suspects from all generations: the wealthy and powerful who funnel some of their money to politicians for a huge return.

I'm a boomer, and I'm not really getting a lot from this exploitation. I must have missed the generation meeting. I want my cut.

Who runs those banks and schools and government

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Of course I do. Cut the Pentagon's budget in half. Tomorrow.

Too extreme.  The Pentagon is a well-paying job's program and is committed, long-term, to many contracts.  A 50% reduction would cause massive disruptions.  And the world is a dangerous place. We should speak softly but carry a big stick. 

There should  be a gradual adjustment downward in spending alongside a gradual adjustment upward in tax receipts.

3 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Across-the-board cuts, adjusted for inflation, of 1 % per department per year, matched by a 1 % increase revenue collected (taxes) until the two lines meet. 

Do you want to know who Dems don’t threaten sequester anymore? It worked.

Start with increasing taxes on the ultra wealthy.  Regulate off shore money better.   Rein in out of control Big Pharma.  Reduce corporate entitlements.  Move jobs to sustainable energy to gradually move away from fossil fuels.  

Reduce spending in other areas gradually.  When you reduce social program spending offset it with increased education spending  (not just the basics, but life skills and job training for all ages).  When you reduce military spending, increase humanitarian package funds for better relations overseas. 

Just some places I would start to look. 

25 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Start with increasing taxes on the ultra wealthy.  Regulate off shore money better.   Rein in out of control Big Pharma.  Reduce corporate entitlements.  Move jobs to sustainable energy to gradually move away from fossil fuels.  

Reduce spending in other areas gradually.  When you reduce social program spending offset it with increased education spending  (not just the basics, but life skills and job training for all ages).  When you reduce military spending, increase humanitarian package funds for better relations overseas. 

Just some places I would start to look. 

Wtf is a corporate entitlement?

Is this the thread where I complain about millennial cultural appropriation?

Avocado toast = what Mexicans make when there are no more tortillas.

Chickens in the backyard = Mexicans have had chickens in their backyard on the west side of San Antonio since the beginning of time. At least the millenials didn't bother with putting goats in the backyard.

Fusion Taco Trucks = WTF is this fusion stuff? Ok its delicious but I used to be able to buy two chorizo and egg tacos from an abuela carting around a ice chest full of tacos for $2.

17 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Wtf is a corporate entitlement?

Corporate welfare, bro. That should piss off anyone more than the EBT recipients. Speaking of EBT, I used to work for a company that handled all of the EBT transactions and everything was built around Walmart. The amount of federal dollars that flows into Walmart's coffers is unreal.

8 hours ago, F250 said:

Is this the thread where I complain about millennial cultural appropriation?

Avocado toast = what Mexicans make when there are no more tortillas.

Chickens in the backyard = Mexicans have had chickens in their backyard on the west side of San Antonio since the beginning of time. At least the millenials didn't bother with putting goats in the backyard.

Fusion Taco Trucks = WTF is this fusion stuff? Ok its delicious but I used to be able to buy two chorizo and egg tacos from an abuela carting around a ice chest full of tacos for $2.

If you still can't find that abuela selling tacos for $1, you're doing it wrong. 

It's a zero sum game.  All Boomers are in the 8th or 9th inning and the assets they have accumulated will get passed down to their GenX children.  Then the GenX beneficiaries will pass it down to their Millennial children.

Where the 1% is stealing from everyone is borrowing from the elderly at historically low interest rates and lending to the youngs at much higher rates.

9 minutes ago, UncleCharlie said:

It's a zero sum game.  All Boomers are in the 8th or 9th inning and the assets they have accumulated will get passed down to their GenX children.  Then the GenX beneficiaries will pass it down to their Millennial children.

Where the 1% is stealing from everyone is borrowing from the elderly at historically low interest rates and lending to the youngs at much higher rates.

Except for one minor point.  The vast majority of boomers didn't save enough to pass anything down, all the while subjecting their offspring to student loans and the like.

That is one of the most unforgivable things.  Their parents got educated through the GI bill and post-war prosperity and generally provided boomers' education, which is how it's supposed to be (parents providing their children with the same benefits they had).  Boomers, though, lived profligately and generally did not provide education and other opportunities for their offspring.  And that, to a degree, made their offspring subject to things like the mortgage debacle, in terms of both the conspicuous consumption ingrained by their parents and the financial instability that made far-out loans appear enticing.

And that's not including the exploding divorce rate during their period of dominance, wreaking financial as well as famililal havoc left and right.  All in the name of "self-actualization" or some other indulgent bullshit.

So they not only fucked it up governmentally and institutionally, they fucked it up at home, too.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Except for one minor point.  The vast majority of boomers didn't save enough to pass anything down, all the while subjecting their offspring to student loans and the like.

That is one of the most unforgivable things.  Their parents got educated through the GI bill and post-war prosperity and generally provided boomers' education, which is how it's supposed to be (parents providing their children with the same benefits they had).  Boomers, though, lived profligately and generally did not provide education and other opportunities for their offspring.  And that, to a degree, made their offspring subject to things like the mortgage debacle, in terms of both the conspicuous consumption ingrained by their parents and the financial instability that made far-out loans appear enticing.

And that's not including the exploding divorce rate during their period of dominance, wreaking financial as well as famililal havoc left and right.  All in the name of "self-actualization" or some other indulgent bullshit.

So they not only fucked it up governmentally and institutionally, they fucked it up at home, too.

this misogyny will not stand, man.

However, student debt does not happen accidentally.  People sign up for it.  We need to tell folks the implications of borrowing money for school before they do it.  Here is what you are going to borrow, here is the job you will get if you pass your classes, here is the chance of getting that job and here is what it pays and how long it will take you to pay off the debt.  Everyone should see that before they receive the money.

This is what I think.   No one is FORCED to take on a shit load of debt.   It's a choice. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

This is what I think.   No one is FORCED to take on a shit load of debt.   It's a choice. 

Bullshit. It was never presented as a "choice" to go to college. It was always presented as the only way to be successful. And, almost all entry level positions with any possibility of forward advancement require it. The world where it was a choice disappeared along time ago. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Bullshit. It was never presented as a "choice" to go to college. It was always presented as the only way to be successful. And, almost all entry level positions with any possibility of forward advancement require it. The world where it was a choice disappeared along time ago. 

Plus one to this. All we were ever told in highschool was that you MUST go to college or you're screwed. You're a dumb 18 year old, and every responsible adult in your life is telling you to do something and that the debt is worth it. 

The students do ultimately sign the promissory note to take out the loan, but I think it's pretty narrow minded to act like the students are the ones deciding so the debt is worth it. They're just doing what has been hammered and conditioned into them for their entire academic career

• Like 2