The Boomers Ruined Everything

TwiceHorn

On 6/26/2019 at 11:23 PM, Captainant said:

Plus one to this. All we were ever told in highschool was that you MUST go to college or you're screwed. You're a dumb 18 year old, and every responsible adult in your life is telling you to do something and that the debt is worth it. 

The students do ultimately sign the promissory note to take out the loan, but I think it's pretty narrow minded to act like the students are the ones deciding so the debt is worth it. They're just doing what has been hammered and conditioned into them for their entire academic career

My boomer father always told me "education is the shortcut to success," his words, and he's a stereotypically status quo GOP'er. That mentality has traveled down through generations and it definitely has made its way down to the current 18-19 year olds who are about to get themselves into this. Whoever said that it's not a real choice is absolutely correct. It's a "choice" in as much as it's a choice for an 18-19 year old when college football programs bribe them to play for their teams.

"Oh they made the choice to violate NCAA rules!" Bullshit, they were offered something they literally could not refuse. That's what the student loan industry is all about as well. The fact that we have people trying very hard to pretend that it isn't (I really have no idea why there's such effort devoted to that) in no way mitigates that reality.

"They had a choice and they chose to incur a lot of debt!!!" Yeah, like you wouldn't have done the same fucking thing.

Edited by hpslugga
  • Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 11:04 PM, Dahobbs said:

Bullshit. It was never presented as a "choice" to go to college. It was always presented as the only way to be successful. And, almost all entry level positions with any possibility of forward advancement require it. The world where it was a choice disappeared along time ago. 

i think this is changing. my BIL never went to college and he's a successful web developer right now. 

however, i will also say that my current employer will absolutely not hire someone without a certain sort of degree. which is kind of weird, because i do not have that degree. i'm straight liberal arts. got to where i am through acquisition.

33 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

Why do Gen-X hate millennials?

marcia-marcia-marcia.png

35 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i think this is changing. my BIL never went to college and he's a successful web developer right now. 

however, i will also say that my current employer will absolutely not hire someone without a certain sort of degree. which is kind of weird, because i do not have that degree. i'm straight liberal arts. got to where i am through acquisition.

it is changing a bit, but not quite really yet, and too late for most millennials.  I think I saw a thing where Amazon and Google nixed college degrees from their hiring requirements just recently.  I had to jump through some hoops to hire a guy without a college degree (nevermind that I manage a software development team with my history degree) at my large company.  And tech is probably the easiest area to embark on a high paying career (not start a successful business) without a degree.  I think high school kids who are graduating now are also a ton more aware of the importance of degree choice now than they were 15 years ago.  Growing up when I did, it was all about getting to college, ???, have an upper middle class lifestyle.  2009 was going to be a banner year.

10 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

We don't.

I feel like some of them have bought into the "they're all snowflakes that need safe-spaces" BS and am guessing a lot of supposed resentment stems from that.

12 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

it is changing a bit, but not quite really yet, and too late for most millennials.  I think I saw a thing where Amazon and Google nixed college degrees from their hiring requirements just recently.  I had to jump through some hoops to hire a guy without a college degree (nevermind that I manage a software development team with my history degree) at my large company.  And tech is probably the easiest area to embark on a high paying career (not start a successful business) without a degree.  I think high school kids who are graduating now are also a ton more aware of the importance of degree choice now than they were 15 years ago.  Growing up when I did, it was all about getting to college, ???, have an upper middle class lifestyle.  2009 was going to be a banner year.

We've both talked about this before given our background, but the bootcamps have absolutely proven you don't need a degree to have a career in tech, especially when the unemployment rate is 3.6%.

7 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

I feel like some of them have bought into the "they're all snowflakes that need safe-spaces" BS and am guessing a lot of supposed resentment stems from that.

I mean sure. But there will be always people in every generation who think that any generation after them are snowflakes that need safe spaces. My social circle has generally positive feelings towards millennials, and my group skews center, maybe even center right, with a few dirty hippies and a few hillbillies in there as outliers. We might roll our eyes at some of the stuff you guys do, but I think most of us recognize that while there might be some situations where it's PC run amok, you guys are generally making the world a better place than our parents or we did. So keep on keeping on, snowflake.

Edit - we're all very young Xers, though. Like really close to the cutoff. I can't really speak for the older Xers as a whole, as I don't run with many of them on a regular basis.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

Something along these lines was true maybe ten years ago, but I like 'em now. The adversity made them stronger.

• Like 1

I just posted a meme. Gen X is just the forgotten one sitting in detached judgement of the rest of you fools.

I don’t find the millennial generation to any worse or better as people but I do think that they have gotten a pretty raw deal in some ways - highest amount of debt starting out in a shitty economy and boomers that refuse to retire etc.

And I don’t think most millennials are the kids of Gen Xers. Our kids are Gen Z or Y or whatever the group is after millennials.

Everyone acts like all millennials are still high school and college aged - the youngest ones are early 20s.

I think the generation that has really got it going on is the Gen Z/Y/Whatever they’re called.

I’m glad that’s the bunch that will be in charge when I’m elderly. I have faith in them.