Pearl Harbor - Volcano National Park

Chad Fuck

Any of you guys been to Pearl Harbor and done the Arizona Memorial, etc.?  

We're headed there in August, but the Memorial jetty is shut down so they're just going to take us on a boat around the harbor.  We have tix for the 2:45 boat ride, but intend to be out there at 7:00 am when it opens to see everything we can.  Any suggested itineraries for seeing Ford Island/USS Missouri, etc.?

Then we're headed over to Volcano NP.  This was my wife's request, so I'm letting her plan all of that.  Any insights re the big island would be appreciated as well.  

All in we're going to be in HI about a week.  

Sorry the Arizona memorial is closed -- it's an amazing experience.

HIGHLY recommend touring the Big Mo.  I didn't do any tour around Ford Island.

Wood%20deck%20and%20Missouri%20main%20gu

Re: VNP, also VERY cool.  If you can get a helicopter tour over the park, it's totally worth it, too!

Pu'u%20O'o%20vent%20(4).jpg

Halema'uma'u%20crater%20(5).jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

Thanks RJ.  How long did you spend on the Mo?  Did you bring kids?

My son and I (he was 15 at the time) spent at least 2 hours.  Could've spent more.

It was cool seeing the plaque on the exact spot where the Japanese surrender was signed.

Surrender%20deck%20plaque%20(3).jpg

Do the Haʻikū Stairs while you still can...  They're talking about removing them all together

hawaii-images-08316-1-1024x683.jpg.optim

Arizona Memorial was cool, but I was not as overwhelmed as some folks profess to be.  I feel like an asshole, but when I was there years and years ago the recording that played was both annoying, simplistic, and repetitive.  Generally just kinda sad ...  watching the oil and gas bubble up from the wreck was also somewhat disturbing.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 8:17 AM, Chad Fuck said:

Any of you guys been to Pearl Harbor and done the Arizona Memorial, etc.?  

We're headed there in August, but the Memorial jetty is shut down so they're just going to take us on a boat around the harbor.  We have tix for the 2:45 boat ride, but intend to be out there at 7:00 am when it opens to see everything we can.  Any suggested itineraries for seeing Ford Island/USS Missouri, etc.?

Then we're headed over to Volcano NP.  This was my wife's request, so I'm letting her plan all of that.  Any insights re the big island would be appreciated as well.  

All in we're going to be in HI about a week.  

Just got back from the Big Island.  There's a thread on it.  Really dug it.  We opted for the helicopter tour of the volcano NP.  Upside was you only have to drive to Hilo.  There is nothing really active right now, so not sure what you'd see inside the park.  Interesting to get a bird's eye view of the recent flows and neighborhoods that were wiped out.  Did a fun zipline (Kohala Zipline on the north coast).  We snorkeled with the manta rays which was kind of a dud, but in talking to people, we just caught it on a rare off night.  Where are you staying?