Raspberry Pi 4 Model B - 4K, up to 4GB RAM, USB 3.0, USB-C, still $35

atomheartbevo

Okay this is damn cool.  Dual 4K displays through micro-HDMI.  Up to 4GB RAM. Backwards-compatible as usual  2x USB 3.0   Charges over USB-C.  Broadcom BCM2711, Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz

Still not in the Raspberry Pi store on Amazon, and the main site was getting hammered, but the 4GB version is in stock for how here.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/

Would be awesome to have a good OTA DVR solution for this.  Edit: it’s been a few years, so somebody may have worked out a solid solution for it.  

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Okay this is damn cool.  Dual 4K displays through micro-HDMI.  Up to 4GB RAM. Backwards-compatible as usual  2x USB 3.0   Charges over USB-C.  Broadcom BCM2711, Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz

Still not in the Raspberry Pi store on Amazon, and the main site was getting hammered, but the 4GB version is in stock for how here.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/

Would be awesome to have a good OTA DVR solution for this.  Edit: it’s been a few years, so somebody may have worked out a solid solution for it.  

Besides a few Texas football games in the fall, what the fuck do any of the OTA networks broadcast you think is worth recording?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Besides a few Texas football games in the fall, what the fuck do any of the OTA networks broadcast you think is worth recording?

Bunch of PBS stuff (History, some woodworking stuff, stuff for the kids, etc.).   I have an OTA DVR setup' but it’s clunky/big (EyeTV and an older Mac mini). 

I’m wanting a Pi 4, as I run a ton of games through my 3, so I would like to consolidate some things down to a smaller device.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

So will this be able to run N64 games reliably?

Possibly - the 4 is running Quake III over 50% faster than the 3, and has a big boost in graphics performance from what it looks like. CPU boost won’t help much, but the GLES thing is big..

Problem with the N64 is it was custom graphics  hardware.

Keep an eye on https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/ and the Retropie site, saw this:

It has more power and an important software part (GLES compatibility) is solved/improved. The emulators on N64 still could need some work, but the Pi 4 will most probably be a big improvement on N64 games.

This has some N64 stuff

https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/22660/the-new-raspberry-pi-4-is-here/2

How in depth do you have to get to run emulators of old gaming systems on these devices? A friend of mine sells these all preloaded. Is it worth it or to just get it for this price and do it yourself? I am very tech savvy but if it requires tons of programming and coding, I get lost. I used to run emulators on my PC back in the day tha had NES, Atari, SNES and Sega.

1.jpg

How in depth do you have to get to run emulators of old gaming systems on these devices? A friend of mine sells these all preloaded. Is it worth it or to just get it for this price and do it yourself? I am very tech savvy but if it requires tons of programming and coding, I get lost. I used to run emulators on my PC back in the day tha had NES, Atari, SNES and Sega.
1.jpg

You’ll be fine. There’s no coding required. At least when i built one a few years ago, there were instructions and download files on the interwebs. You just installed it and set a few configurations.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

You’ll be fine. There’s no coding required. At least when i built one a few years ago, there were instructions and download files on the interwebs. You just installed it and set a few configurations.

Thanks. Can you point me to where I would need to go to download and configure? I'm looking for NES/SNES/Sega. N64 would be nice but I don't really need it.

• 3 weeks later...

I just heard about Raspberry Pi for the first time a couple weeks ago, seems like a great starter computer build for my 9yo son.  It looks like Amazon has the 4 now, but the kits don't seem to be as comprehensive as the ones listed on the CanaKit website-- would y'all say that's the best source for the 4 right now?

Cool, thanks.

Further research confirms what you say, looks like the retropi stuff isn't out for the 4 yet and since it's so new, could certainly be a while.  I have no problem getting the 3 to mess around with for now.  My son would be most interested in the games (we have one of those "classic" Atari and "classic NES" things that he plays with but they only have a handful of games each).

As an EE geek, I also like the potential expandability into automatic control systems, robotics, etc.

If you have an old Wii or Wii U laying around you can hack one of those pretty easily. I added the homebrew channel to my Wii a couple weeks ago and have been working my way through Mario 64.

Edit: it won't be the building experience if that is what you are looking for.

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn
  • Like 1

On 8/2/2019 at 7:57 AM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

If you have an old Wii or Wii U laying around you can hack one of those pretty easily. I added the homebrew channel to my Wii a couple weeks ago and have been working my way through Mario 64.

Edit: it won't be the building experience if that is what you are looking for.

We do have a Wii U that the kids still use regularly, but I'm definitely looking for the buildability/expandability of something like the Pi. 

I have several old x86 boxes that over the decades I've dumped various flavors of UNIX onto and used as gateways, servers, media servers, etc.  But I don't think my son would be much into that, at least not yet. :)  The Pi sounds way more up his alley.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2019 at 9:55 AM, atomheartbevo said:

Possibly - the 4 is running Quake III over 50% faster than the 3, and has a big boost in graphics performance from what it looks like. CPU boost won’t help much, but the GLES thing is big..

Problem with the N64 is it was custom graphics  hardware.

Keep an eye on https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/ and the Retropie site, saw this:

This has some N64 stuff

https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/22660/the-new-raspberry-pi-4-is-here/2

On 6/30/2019 at 8:03 AM, CooterBrown said:

On 7/2/2019 at 2:11 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Just be patient and follow the instructions.  The RetroPie folks and their supporters have put out plenty of documentation on how to do it.

If you have ever installed Windows, and if you've ever copied things on and off of a camera flash card, you'll be set.

On 7/8/2019 at 5:46 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

If your friend is really a friend you could probably take him a six pack and a SD card and he'd load  it with the latest image.   But it's pretty easy to do yourself.

On 7/26/2019 at 11:35 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

It might be a while before the 4 is developed to that potential. Depending on what your plans are, the three might be more than plenty.

So is there one style controller that would be suitable to cover most or all of the vintage games, or do you need the proper controller that came with the original console?  I see there are USB controller options for NES, SNES, N64, Sega Genesis, and PS2.  Would one of those be more widely applicable than the others?

(My vintage console use pretty much ended with Atari 2600 and ColecoVision :)  )

Edited by utee94

Well I went ahead and ordered a raspberry pi retropie starter kit (Vilros brand) off Amazon, showed up today and I'm configuring it.  I also bought a card with ROMS on it for 100,000 games (so they claim) but it won't be here for another few days.  Kit came with two SNES style USB controllers which should be a good start, if my son really gets into it then he's free to buy other controllers for other styles of games.

It's installing and updating right now, pretty slick for such a small and inexpensive setup.

Edit-- It's the 3B+, not sure how much retropie work has been done on the 4 yet, but we can always upgrade if we need to.

Edited by utee94