Seafood

I'll second Deckhands.  The South Austin location at South Lamar and Ben White has never disappointed.  The staff is friendly and the manager always come by our table and strikes up some conversation, she loves to hunt and fish. 

Eddie V's has em for $1 each on Sundays and Mondays.

Also, trade secret: you can go to the Whole Foods downtown or in the Domain (and maybe others), where there's sit-down eating, and (1) buy a bunch in the shell at the seafood counter, (2) ask the guy there to shuck 'em for you, and (3) sit down and eat em for around 75 cents a pop.

• Like 1

deckhands is great every time, quality seafood was excellent also.  neither will set you back like perlas, clarks, foreign.domestic, etc.  gulf oysters are the best value.  i could argue they are flat out the best tasting, but for sure the largest so therefore the best value.

I'll add a vote for Quality Seafood.

Doesn't hurt that I know the owner & we did the re-roof as part of the expansion a few years ago.

In a pinch, the small "tub o' ersters" from the HEB seafood area is good enough for my heathen tastes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I’m partial to this new place in Lamar Union called TLC.  They do a good job with seafood boils, sandwiches and raw bar.  Family friendly and great value but parking sucks.  Another favorite of mine is the seafood bar at Whole Foods HQ.  You can order oysters by the each at the seafood counter and they will serve it to you at the table.  Helluva lot cheaper than Perlas or Clark’s.  

Asking the counter at WF/CM to shuck em for me is jean-yus. Tried shucking a few dozen years ago and hands looked like I tried to bathe a wolverine. 

Will second quality seafood, deckhand, and salt trader. Will also embarrass myself by saying I prefer smaller bite size oysters over the cow tongue sized varieties. 

Asking the counter at WF/CM to shuck em for me is jean-yus. Tried shucking a few dozen years ago and hands looked like I tried to bathe a wolverine. 

Will second quality seafood, deckhand, and salt trader. Will also embarrass myself by saying I prefer smaller bite size oysters over the cow tongue sized varieties. 
Did you use tea towels? You gotta use tea towels.

On 4/4/2018 at 3:23 AM, RPM said:

Maybe this should be posted in Road Trip Gems, but GoGo Gumbo in Boyd is fantastic. Order the TV Dinner. You can thank me later.

One of our favorites. It's a must stop every time we are up in Decatur. The owner/chef and his wife are fantastic people. 

Edited by Irwin F Fletcher

On 4/2/2018 at 11:43 AM, Brisketexan said:

Eddie V's has em for $1 each on Sundays and Mondays.

Also, trade secret: you can go to the Whole Foods downtown or in the Domain (and maybe others), where there's sit-down eating, and (1) buy a bunch in the shell at the seafood counter, (2) ask the guy there to shuck 'em for you, and (3) sit down and eat em for around 75 cents a pop.

we need to do that Eddie V's HH again.

On 4/2/2018 at 10:55 AM, swTXSU said:

I'll second Deckhands.  The South Austin location at South Lamar and Ben White has never disappointed.  The staff is friendly and the manager always come by our table and strikes up some conversation, she loves to hunt and fish. 

We’ve had mostly good experiences. Once our plates came out 25 minutes apart. No apology from the waiter on that. 

I love Quality as well. It’s usually what I pick for my birthday dinner with the folks. 

• 2 years later...
On 4/9/2020 at 2:40 PM, Sbbruin said:

Anyone have any good recs on a seafood delivery service?  Not prepared seafood, but things like fresh/fresh frozen fillets, shellfish, etc?  Need a fix of high quality seafood.

I know a guy...

JR15.jpg

5 hours ago, elfenix said:

ITT: man with boat asks where he can find fish

Isn't Cali under lockdown?  

• Like 1