Years and Years

DDD Dad

Just finished episode 2.  Been reading about so I thought I would give it a go tonight.  It was buried deep on the HBO list of series even though it’s been released for a week.  Doesn’t seem like they have faith in it.

oh, I’m going to keep watching to see where it goes.  Can’t imagine many positive results.  The daughter wanting to be a transhuman might be the one with the right idea.

Spoiler

I’m not a doomsday freak but the bank run scene is one of my personal fears out of life. It was foreshadowed a bit too much in that they were fine since they owned, with a mortgage, an expensive home. I assume each episode is going to continually end worse and worse for someone  

Calling my shot.

After watching Edith do her hacking routine and then seeing on their news that the company she hacked had to shut down because of some kind of release of documents pertaining to the company doing something in Syria, I’m ready to blame Edith and her activist friends for not only the bank collapse but the nuclear bomb as well.

She’s a freaking cyber terrorist.

This is like late season dexter type train wreck. 

I don't know why, but I'm going to finish it out though. I saw so much praise for this from brits on reddit and I just don't get it. 

Edited by seven

My tastes in TV/movies is usually pretty in line with most opinions on this board. But not on this show apparently lol.

I absolutely love this show. Something about the surreal absurdity and the unfortunate realism that it’s presenting strikes a chord with me.

45 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

My tastes in TV/movies is usually pretty in line with most opinions on this board. But not on this show apparently lol.

I absolutely love this show. Something about the surreal absurdity and the unfortunate realism that it’s presenting strikes a chord with me.

I can see that.  If you can get past the writer's absurd and constant attempts to push your buttons, I could see the gallows humor.  It's like Huffington Post wrote a Mexican soap opera.

I find the show starting to pick up now with linking the family with the govt actions.  Sure there are some unbelievable aspects like a former bike messenger walking into a heart-to-heart conversation with the PM but it moves the story forward quickly. 

Is there any significance of the 4 star party name? Is it modeled on the 5 star movement in Italy or have I missed the show explaining it?   

Spoiler

Didn’t realize the history of the Brit concentration camps in the Boer War until Viv mentioned it.

Viv would swear on panel shows and debates in the early episodes and that's what she was initially known for. She referred to that and I think something like how 4 stars is excellence. But it was mainly because she said fuck. 

When I first read about the series concept, I wondered why HBO had it listed so low on their apps.  Usually newer series are highlighted to better find an audience. Obviously HBO knew what they were doing, at least in terms of marketing it.

In hindsight I found the Viv storyline the most compelling but given her handful of minutes on the screen each episode, I wonder if they only had Emma Thompson on the set for 1-2 days.  Run through her scenes and then film the rest. 

• 3 weeks later...

Finally finished this last night.  The Trump/nationalist movement parallels were a little heavy handed but overall I thought it was worth watching.

NGE, I agree with your assessment on the finish.  Episode 5 was really good; Episode 6 was kind of a mess.

Edited by DDD Dad