Power Pop

smuggs

Probably the last time I really spent a lot of time listening to "new" music, my son was around 10 at the time and just getting into music/listening to the radio, so I spent a lot of time listening to his music, some pretty good pop bands in the early 2000's...

(This one I found via my kids through one of those Rathergood videos, the same guy that did the crazy Quizno's We Like the Subs commercials, Joel Veitch, he did one for this song with a bunch of screaming kittens...)

Love Fountains of Wayne, a deep cut here but love the Boz Scaggs vibe...

• Like 2

I wanna play!  

Adam Schmidt NEVER got his credit and quickly disappeared off of the music landscape.  I've heard rumors about what happened to him but nothing more verifiable.  

Lemonheads:  So many to pick from.

Butch Walker:  Not many people are still doing it, but Butch is.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Do you know Ron?

I don't (just a fan of their music).  I remember you mentioning him before, I even tried to look up his recording studio as my band is getting ready to record a new album and was checking out rates, but couldn't find anything up to date.

Edited by UTCzech III

4 minutes ago, UTCzech III said:

I don't (just a fan of their music).  I remember you mentioning him before, I even tried to look up his recording studio as my band is getting ready to record a new album and was checking out rates, but couldn't find anything up to date.

Are you still interested?  I don't know him personally but we have friends in common.  I can get in touch to find out of the studio is still up and running.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Are you still interested?  I don't know him personally but we have friends in common.  I can get in touch to find out of the studio is still up and running.

At the moment, no rush, schedule has been kind of pushed back, but as we get closer I may get with you.  Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PencilPusher said:

To Complete The Producers Trifecta 

Their first album is really great from start to finish. The second one is also pretty dang good, if you can find it. They seem to have been almost erased from history, unfortunately.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

I'm always surprised how grungy Matthew Sweet's tunes are.  I mean, I've listened to almost every album a hundred times at a minimum, but in my mind it remains very jangly pop, and then I hear a tune and remember "oh shit, these guitars are THICK".  Always.  It's the perfect recipe.  He's had it dialed in forever.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 11:30 AM, hullabelew said:

Adam Schmidt NEVER got his credit and quickly disappeared off of the music landscape.  I've heard rumors about what happened to him but nothing more verifiable.

Hey, Hulla --

Adam Schmitt runs his own production company.  It appears he's worked with several different artists, including Tommy Keene and Bun E. Carlos, who put out a solo disc a few years back.  

http://www.adamschmitt.com/Adam_Schmitt_Music_Production_Audio_Recording_Engineering_Mixing_Mastering.html

• Like 1

19 hours ago, the idoit said:

Also, please be upstanding for the Mayor of Simpleton. Just a brilliant song from hook to structure to lyrics to harmonies and that outrageous bass line.

All that and I’m still in love with that model/actress. So Audrey Hepburn-esque...

I don't know if XTC fits the power pop mold per se, but they absolutely could write tunes. Such as.....

Not a huge fan, but there are certainly some gems in this thread that will be added to my Ipod.

Thought I might add The Babys. Might be a bit more pop than power, but...

@hullabelew, aren't you a big fan of the back-up singer in pink? I think I remember you chronicling her resume on TOS.

And, of course, another...