2024 Olympics to feature breakdancing?

Beau Vine

Breakdancing and three other sports took another step toward appearing at the Paris 2024 Olympics after the International Olympic Committee on Tuesday voted in favour of their inclusion.

The Paris 2024 organizing committee in February proposed surfing, skateboarding and sport climbing as well as breakdancing for inclusion in the Games, and the IOC's executive board gave the initial green light in March.

On Tuesday the IOC session voted unanimously for their inclusion in the 2024 program, but the sports face one final review in late 2020 before a final decision is taken, IOC president Thomas Bach said.

Surfing, climbing and skateboarding will be part of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics and their performance as new sports there will be monitored by the IOC before a final decision is taken on their inclusion in Paris.

It is planned that the four sports will have a total 248 athletes, split evenly between men and women.

Paris Games organizers said they want to deliver a program that is in keeping with the times and will attract a new and younger audience.

Under new IOC rules first introduced for the Tokyo Games, Olympic host cities can hand-pick sports and propose them for inclusion in those Games if they are popular in that country and add to the Games' appeal.

The IOC is eager to refresh the Games' sports program to remain relevant to sponsors, broadcasters and fans.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/breakdancing-paris-olympics-ioc-vote-1.5189204

Oh great, more subjective scores from judges.

I hate any "sport" where the winner is determined subjectively.  It should all be objective.  Figure skating & gymnastics?  You get points for doing this, this, and this...you lose points for doing that, that, and that.  Same with anything else where currently a judge gives their personal opinion. Snowboarding, diving, etc.  

But I know I'm in the minority on this, so I'll just shut-up now.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

I feel more justified in my hatred of the olympics.

This.  It's all gymnastics and shit women apparently want to see.  Remember when the decathlon and boxing were the biggest draws in the Olympics?  Now the decathlon gets about 60 seconds of coverage right before they sign-off for the day.

47 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Yes. Because when I think breakdancing, the first thing I think of is...millennials...and not my own middle school dance circa 1984.

You’re right. That makes it even weirder that they would choose a dance fad that was popular 35 years ago.  My millennial comment was based more on the opinion that I think they’ve gone overboard with X Games type stuff and were talking about getting rid of a staple Olympic sport like wrestling (not sure what became of that effort however).

i know..... Get off my lawn!

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

My #2 son did that (Dobie Middle School - Roadrunners “hollah”). Later he graduated to dreds.

Goliad Middle School Mavericks back atchoo!

55 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

You’re right. That makes it even weirder that they would choose a dance fad that was popular 35 years ago.  My millennial comment was based more on the opinion that I think they’ve gone overboard with X Games type stuff and were talking about getting rid of a staple Olympic sport like wrestling (not sure what became of that effort however).

i know..... Get off my lawn!

Seriously, I'm totally with you on this, but I gotta admit this aging Gen Xer will be watching the Olympic Break Dancing Finals in 2024. Of course, the biggest risk will be me getting too much into it and end up breaking a hip in the middle of the living room.

31 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Bring tug of war back. And in battle of the network stars fashion, the team needs to be made of athletes from the other sports including gymnastics, swimming, basketball, etc. and have men’s, women’s and mixed. 

Battle of the Network Stars!!! There needs to be an Olympic Obstacle Course event.

7 hours ago, gecko said:

sport climbing could be cool.  skateboarding? break dancing?  GTFOH....

Meh, I'd rather the crags not be so crowded. To me climbing is more about the experience of being up there and making deliberate moves to get to the next hold and pushing myself. It's actually quite relaxing. But I realize that, like with any sport, there will always be those who want to make it a competition. 

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Bring tug of war back. And in battle of the network stars fashion, the team needs to be made of athletes from the other sports including gymnastics, swimming, basketball, etc. and have men’s, women’s and mixed. 

Would watch if we can dig up Cosell and have him call it.

5 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Would watch if we can dig up Cosell and have him call it.

There has to be some good behind the scenes stories about this show in those years.  Late 70s, tv stars...  surprised someone hasn’t produced a documentary about it.  Gabe Kaplan and Robert Conrad eyeing the young talent from nbc.  Horseshack stalking Charlene Tilton.   Gil Gerard trying to get Jan Smithers drunk.  Howard hesseman forgets to show up for Simon sez  because of too much coke.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

There has to be some good behind the scenes stories about this show in those years.  Late 70s, tv stars...  surprised someone hasn’t produced a documentary about it.  Gabe Kaplan and Robert Conrad eyeing the young talent from nbc.  Horseshack stalking Charlene Tilton.   Gil Gerard trying to get Jan Smithers drunk.  Howard hesseman forgets to show up for Simon sez  because of too much coke.  

Bill Simmons can fap to this.