No legs ? Sure climb Everest !!!

Onboard 2.0

Couldn't sleep, and am watching this cable show Everest, Beyond the Limit.  Many of these fuckers are bizarre,  to say the least. Once in the death zone their actions cost them their lives, and potentially the lives of folks around them.

The height of ridiculousness is the guy with no legs "climbing Everest".  I'm not really seeing how you're climbing Everest when you have to be literally carried by your Sherpa guides, and your lack of legs is potentially costing them their lives.  Having said that some co. took his money, and is also contributing to the danger for the guys having to carry this complete and utter dumb ass.  I mean ya couldn't do wheelchair basketball, sit skiing, distance rolling, fishing ?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

On a related subject, I saw this spot on Real Sports about a guy who was a gifted rock climber and lost both his legs in his teens or 20s.  One of his best climbing buddies and a competitor subsequently lost one or both of his legs in a climbing incident.

The first guy's dissatisfaction with prostheses for himself and his buddy led him, a high school dropout, to ultimately obtain an MS and PhD from MIT and Harvard, respectively, in ME and biophysics.

He's a leading patentee in the field of biomechanical (that connect to the nervous and muscular system) prostheses and head of MITs biomechatronics program.

Pretty fascinating.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Herr

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

On a related subject, I saw this spot on Real Sports about a guy who was a gifted rock climber and lost both his legs in his teens or 20s.  One of his best climbing buddies and a competitor subsequently lost one or both of his legs in a climbing incident.

The first guy's dissatisfaction with prostheses for himself and his buddy led him, a high school dropout, to ultimately obtain an MS and PhD from MIT and Harvard, respectively, in ME and biophysics.

He's a leading patentee in the field of biomechanical (that connect to the nervous and muscular system) prostheses and head of MITs biomechatronics program.

Pretty fascinating.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Herr

And he became a golf instructor. 

tumblr_mzvso0s1hM1tooympo1_400.gifv.gif

On 6/26/2019 at 2:53 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Couldn't sleep, and am watching this cable show Everest, Beyond the Limit.  Many of these fuckers are bizarre,  to say the least. Once in the death zone their actions cost them their lives, and potentially the lives of folks around them.

The height of ridiculousness is the guy with no legs "climbing Everest".  I'm not really seeing how you're climbing Everest when you have to be literally carried by your Sherpa guides, and your lack of legs is potentially costing them their lives.  Having said that some co. took his money, and is also contributing to the danger for the guys having to carry this complete and utter dumb ass.  I mean ya couldn't do wheelchair basketball, sit skiing, distance rolling, fishing ?

You had exactly 7,000 +rep points until just now. 

• Like 1

On the topic of Everest there has been a COVID outbreak at Everest base camp which the Nepalese government is downplaying and outright denying.  The 2021 climbing season is in doubt.  It's been a rough stretch with a massive avalanche and earthquake in 2015 and deadly avalanches in 2014 and 2019.