HBO - "From the Earth to the Moon"

RamjetFDO

I had the Signature Edition box set that was reformatted for wide screen and thought it was pretty badass.

I wasn't wrong, but I might have been mistaken.

There is so much greatness in this series and the only thing that could be better than this is an IMAX edition. (which I would buy)

I was lazy and didn't open mine when it arrived last night. I went to HBO GO to watch it and I must say, some of the "remastering" looks like ass. Forced zooms, washed out faces. Hopefully, the Blu-ray is better.  Still loved watching it, though.

While I’ve only watched the first episode so far, I haven’t noticed any washed out faces or forced zooms.  I thought the new film transfer was excellent.  Some of the new VFX look excellent, some of them not so much.

However...the first Falcon Heavy flight that sent the Tesla into space with the starman in the driver seat?  That was real and it kinda looked like a weirdly composited VFX shot.  Maybe seeing so many artistic visions of space over the years has made reality seem like not-reality.  Or maybe it’s just me.

18 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I was lazy and didn't open mine when it arrived last night. I went to HBO GO to watch it and I must say, some of the "remastering" looks like ass. Forced zooms, washed out faces. Hopefully, the Blu-ray is better.  Still loved watching it, though.

I opened mine just to enter the code for the digital copy. The discs may never leave the packaging, but I'll have them when the internet finally goes down. 

56 minutes ago, Sandman said:

It's pretty meh. I watched 3 episodes of the Blu-Ray rip and there are a lot of issues. The forums/reviews on Blu-Ray.com aren't being very kind to it. Consensus seems to be that it's a half assed restoration release, but suitable for most people who just want something "better" than the DVDs.

3 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

It's pretty meh. I watched 3 episodes of the Blu-Ray rip and there are a lot of issues. The forums/reviews on Blu-Ray.com aren't being very kind to it. Consensus seems to be that it's a half assed restoration release, but suitable for most people who just want something "better" than the DVDs.

Yeah I watched the first two episodes last night and I'm mildly disappointed in the remaster.

The restored film shots and sound are FANTASTIC.  The re-done/remastered VFX are pretty spotty in the first two episodes... some of the shots look great and others look very rushed and "meh."

That said, it's certainly MUCH better than the re-framed/upconverted Signature DVD series, so I'm glad they did it.... I was just expecting a better VFX shots after all of these years.

Edited by oSuJeff97

16 hours ago, bolverk said:

I don't much of a shit about the remastered blah blah blah. Just grateful I'm getting to see this show for the first as I was poor with no HBO and in grad school when this came out. Thanks OP for bringing it to our attention.

Yeah just to re-iterate, the remaster made the show look as good as it ever has looked... it certainly looks WAY better than the previous two DVD releases.

I was just expecting the re-done VFX shots to look a little bit better than they do.

18 hours ago, NAVY said:

Solid series. Gets a bit dusty too 

"What I do know is the first man to walk on the moon walked into this room today - and is looking at me right now."

"And we've got a telegram here from a Mrs. Valerie Pringle. I'm sure it's not a name that any of you recognize, it's just something that one of the Public Affairs people picked up 'cause he liked it. Mrs. Pringle writes, very simply, 'You saved 1968.'"

Really enjoyed the episode with Dave Foley as Alan Bean on the Apollo 12 mission. You really got a sense of the pressure of being the first to land being off their shoulders and just having a good time with it.

15 minutes ago, RPM said:

I said it before, but the casting was outstanding. So many actors that were just perfect for the role. Nick Searcy knocks it out of the park as Deke Slayton.

Nick Searcy was the glue that held the series together.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

The Apollo 12 episode is so great.  Alan Bean should have a statue on campus, or at least in Wheeler or Fort Worth....there is one in Wheeler.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1meZrw1eHMf0uR3rEKVD

I want to say Alan Bean's spacesuit was on display at the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History in Fort Worth when I took a tour in elementary school. It was a long time ago, but there was a spacesuit and moon rocks.

I mentioned it upthread, but Ep7 is my favorite episode.

On 7/19/2019 at 5:00 PM, HornsOverIthaca said:

"And we've got a telegram here from a Mrs. Valerie Pringle. I'm sure it's not a name that any of you recognize, it's just something that one of the Public Affairs people picked up 'cause he liked it. Mrs. Pringle writes, very simply, 'You saved 1968.'"

At the beginning of that episode, my wife was going on about "why are they showing all this depressing shit...I thought this was about going to the moon". I said clearly they are laying out what else was going on during this time and how the Apollo program was the one thing everyone could agree on. After that line, she was like, yeah I get it...

8 hours ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

The series is based on Andrew Chaikin's Man on the Moon.  It is definitely worth a read.  So much to learn about all the Apollo flights.  I think RamJet said he knows him.

Agreed.  I read this book right after the series came out and have re-read it twice since.

And yes I believe RamJet is friends with Andy Chaikin.

On 7/19/2019 at 5:31 PM, NAVY said:

Buffalo Bill as Alan Shepherd is cray casting. Love it 

Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen him in anything else. 

Watched the first 2 last night and this thing is just chock full of recognizable actors. Really good but I can't help but think how much better this could be if it was made today. 

12 hours ago, seven said:

Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen him in anything else. 

Watched the first 2 last night and this thing is just chock full of recognizable actors. Really good but I can't help but think how much better this could be if it was made today. 

He was in Monk.

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2019 at 3:37 PM, Mojo Hand said:

Is it not available on demand? 

Been streaming off of prime the past few days, only had seen bits and pieces before, good to watch all in a row finally.

On 7/19/2019 at 5:39 PM, Deej said:

Nick Searcy was the glue that held the series together.

He's gotta be BMB's dad/grandpa, same damn face.

On 7/24/2019 at 8:08 PM, Deej said:

I never realized he was in Monk, until a girl I was dating said, "Close your eyes and listen to him."

"Buffalo Bill!!!"

According to TV man this guy started mouthing off some body called the guard "slick", this guy here has got what it appears to be a double tapped entry wound to the sternum entry wounds to the head means close range probably executed and it was a million six in bearer bonds ignored the loose cash.

• 1 year later...