Steven Bochco has passed

mdmost

Before we get too crazy with the praise, remember this was the guy that came up with Richie Brockelman Private Eye, Gemini Man, Bay City Blues, Hooperman, Capitol Critters, Public Morals, Philly, Over There, Blind Justice and the granddaddy of bad ideas... Cop Rock. Yes, there were peaks in his career, but the valleys were pretty damned low.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2018 at 10:59 PM, Caracara said:

Hill Street Blues was a bfd in the day.  Groundbreaking, won a shitload of emmys, had an excellent cast.  I really liked it.  Didn't see much of LA Law and NYPD.

I am the opposite.  I rarely saw Hill Street Blues, but loved and definitely tuned in for LA Law.  Arnie Becker for the win!

Wasn't NYPD Blue the first to show naked butts on network TV in the context of actual sex?

LA Law was my all time favorite Bochco series but my second favorite was Murder One, season one. Daniel Benzali was the lawyer Teddy Hoffman and Stanley Tucci was Richard Cross, who looked like the bad guy who had a secret, but, in the end . . . The murder took the whole season to solve. Benzali didn't come back for season 2 and I think it suffered because of it.

And of course Bochco wrote, and Steven Spielberg directed, one of my favorite Columbo episodes: Murder by the Book, with Jack Cassidy as the murderer.